Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's obvious Dier won't ever be a great defender, but that's not an issue because he's become one of the best midfield anchors in European football; he definitely offers more than Wanyama, to the point where he should always start there. If there's ever a crisis in the centre of defence again, it should be Wanyama who provides cover in there.

Feel sorry for this guy.

Plays some of the best football of his career last year in a position he seems destined to play - comes into this season playing defensive midfield alongside a defensive midfielder and then put back into centre half due to an injury to Alderweireld.

Now everyone is fit and he's now on the bench. I do appreciate what Wanyama has done when he's played, he's shown he's a lot more than a defensive midfielder but unfortunately Dier just FITS our system. It's no surprise that Dembele hasnt looked his best this year and he's alongside Wanyama, I just want to see Dier/Dembele in front of that back four.

We have two games coming up in 7 days. Mid week is the PERFECT oppertunity to rest Wanyama and give it a go.

Feel sorry for this guy.

Plays some of the best football of his career last year in a position he seems destined to play - comes into this season playing defensive midfield alongside a defensive midfielder and then put back into centre half due to an injury to Alderweireld.

Now everyone is fit and he's now on the bench. I do appreciate what Wanyama has done when he's played, he's shown he's a lot more than a defensive midfielder but unfortunately Dier just FITS our system. It's no surprise that Dembele hasnt looked his best this year and he's alongside Wanyama, I just want to see Dier/Dembele in front of that back four.

We have two games coming up in 7 days. Mid week is the PERFECT oppertunity to rest Wanyama and give it a go.
Absolutely nailed it here.

Apart from the spelling.

Feel sorry for this guy.

I love Dier, but he has been poor this season. To select him ahead of Wanyama today would have been odd. I bet you have called him out on several occasions this season, more than Wanyama that's for sure.

We have seen what competion for places can do, Rose & Walker have gone to a new level having been pushed. We are in a great position to watch another battle take shape with Wanyama & Winks pushing Dembele & Dier. Based on this year alone Winks & Wanyama are the best two options.

Just like the battle of the FB's this battle will be decided probably by early next year (I have been generous to Tripier as he's a long way off Walker).

I love Dier, but he has been poor this season. To select him ahead of Wanyama today would have been odd. I bet you have called him out on several occasions this season, more than Wanyama that's for sure.

We have seen what competion for places can do, Rose & Walker have gone to a new level having been pushed. We are in a great position to watch another battle take shape with Wanyama & Winks pushing Dembele & Dier. Based on this year alone Winks & Wanyama are the best two options.

Just like the battle of the FB's this battle will be decided probably by early next year (I have been generous to Tripier as he's a long way off Walker).

He's been poor in the sense that he's playing alongside a defensive midfielder in Wanyama who's attempting to do the same job. How many times has he played central midfield alongside Dembele this season? He's also been playing centre half, a position where he's about as good as Younes Kaboul.

I have called Dier out for being a terrible centre half, yes. But as a defensive midfielder for us? I rarely see any faults. His positioning and timing for a defensive midfielder is the best I have seen since Sandro for us, in fact he's probably better then prime Sandro. I see many faults in Wanyamas game every single week but it rarely puts us under pressure or costs us (Leicester City aside) because his positioning is usually suspect.

Like I've said, I like Wanyama. I was VERY skeptical when we signed him as I saw nothing more than a clogger. Whenever we played Southampton he was dreadful but he's come in and he's pretty much done what Dier did to a lot of us last season and made us eat humble pie with how good of a footballer he is, but he's no Eric Dier.

tumblr_o96bxhN9kE1u9ikt0o1_500.gif

He's been poor in the sense that he's playing alongside a defensive midfielder in Wanyama who's attempting to do the same job. How many times has he played central midfield alongside Dembele this season? He's also been playing centre half, a position where he's about as good as Younes Kaboul.

I have called Dier out for being a terrible centre half, yes. But as a defensive midfielder for us? I rarely see any faults. His positioning and timing for a defensive midfielder is the best I have seen since Sandro for us, in fact he's probably better then prime Sandro. I see many faults in Wanyamas game every single week but it rarely puts us under pressure or costs us (Leicester City aside) because his positioning is usually suspect.

Like I've said, I like Wanyama. I was VERY skeptical when we signed him as I saw nothing more than a clogger. Whenever we played Southampton he was dreadful but he's come in and he's pretty much done what Dier did to a lot of us last season and made us eat humble pie with how good of a footballer he is, but he's no Eric Dier.

tumblr_o96bxhN9kE1u9ikt0o1_500.gif
Dier has been poor though, unable to pass a ball, slow and a yard or two off the pace. Playing CB or DM shouldn't stop him from passing a ball. He is improving game by game, which is great. Wanyama has been playing better than him.

I too prefer him as DM, he will get his chances, it wouldnt surprise me if he plays on Wed. He needs to take his chance.

Dier has been poor though, unable to pass a ball, slow and a yard or two off the pace. Playing CB or DM shouldn't stop him from passing a ball. He is improving game by game, which is great. Wanyama has been playing better than him.

I too prefer him as DM, he will get his chances, it wouldnt surprise me if he plays on Wed. He needs to take his chance.

How many games has Dier played DM this season alongside anyone BUT Wanyama? I don't remember many misplaced passes when he played midfield earlier in the season. I do remember many as a centre half. As you say it shouldn't matter what position he plays but it sort of has mattered.

It's a bit like saying his positioning shouldn't necessarily matter. His positioning as a defensive midfield is masterful but as a centre half it is genuinely woeful. Much like his marking.

How many games has Dier played DM this season alongside anyone BUT Wanyama? I don't remember many misplaced passes when he played midfield earlier in the season. I do remember many as a centre half. As you say it shouldn't matter what position he plays but it sort of has mattered.

It's a bit like saying his positioning shouldn't necessarily matter. His positioning as a defensive midfield is masterful but as a centre half it is genuinely woeful. Much like his marking.
So why is it Wanyama's fault? Dier hasn't been playing well?

But what has that got to do with Wanyama?

Did I say it did? - I think Dier is a better overall player and a better fit for our system then Wanyama and I'd much prefer him in our team.

It's like there are players out there better than the players we have but for our system and play, I'd take our players over a lot of them.

The stats don't lie though - Dier is a better midfielder.

what will Kane vs. Kane prove?
It's tabloid stuff mate. Miss hit shots that count as assists, ball hits a player counted as interceptions. I like stats but these are nothing better than fantasy football and Sky twitter polls.

Kane v Kane will show 2 different players over two different seasons

It's tabloid stuff mate. Miss hit shots that count as assists, ball hits a player counted as interceptions. I like stats but these are nothing better than fantasy football and Sky twitter polls.

Kane v Kane will show 2 different players over two different seasons
Well, I strictly put the defensive stats in which don't lie - I agree with regards to other stats being silly like 'take ons' etc. but in terms of tackles, interceptions etc. they're pretty standard. Notice that Wanyama makes more tackles but Dier makes more interceptions, that'll be due to his supreme positioning.

It will show - I imagine it'll show him being more effective over 90 minutes this season considering he has more assists and goals this season per 90 minutes and that's true.

Well, I strictly put the defensive stats in which don't lie - I agree with regards to other stats being silly like 'take ons' etc. but in terms of tackles, interceptions etc. they're pretty standard. Notice that Wanyama makes more tackles but Dier makes more interceptions, that'll be due to his supreme positioning.

It will show - I imagine it'll show him being more effective over 90 minutes this season considering he has more assists and goals this season per 90 minutes and that's true.
Still doesnt reflect contribution and highly subjective. Saw tackle stats being used to show how good CB's are the other day our CBs hardly tackle, yet they are the best two in the league. Our team choose where to tackle too, rarely foul arround the box, but give many away up the pitch, there are so many variations and interpretations.

Still doesnt reflect contribution and highly subjective. Saw tackle stats being used to show how good CB's are the other day our CBs hardly tackle, yet they are the best two in the league. Our team choose where to tackle too, rarely foul arround the box, but give many away up the pitch, there are so many variations and interpretations.

Sure, but we watch Spurs every week so comparing two players stat-wise is just a way of proving a point. I don't really watch many other Premier League teams so I wouldn't compare them without watching - I always thought Dier made less tackles but intercepted (the way Poch likes it) by closing down passing avenues. Wanyama doesn't do this, instead he seems to allow the opponent to get the ball first, hoping to nick the ball on the first touch, he done it numerous times today and Pogba and Carrick were just winning fouls or picking round him. I'd say today was Wanyama's worst game in a Spurs shirt.

Back
Top Bottom