Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sad to say, I think it happened when we drew with the gooner scum. If we had won that one (& we should have done) we would have been top of the league. Leicester may have buckled (doubtful with the strength of the gear they were on, but still) had they been playing catch up and we would definitely have had serious momentum had we kept nudging ahead of them rather than trying to play catch up.

Possibly, but in my mind the Spammers game was where it dawned on me that, realistically, winning the league was probably beyond the team that season. They where so much hungrier than us that game. We didnt look like a team that was on the cusp of something great, and despite a couple of other wins we never really reclaimed our form.

We never had it..

We haven't been top of a game week since Pochettino's second game in charge have we? 4 years ago.
You know perfectly well what I meant; had we put away Wet Spam and then the scum, we'd have gone on to win the league. That was our chance to go top, and I believe that it would have had seismic consequences on the media narrative. Leicester would have gone from #FairyTale to #SoTheyAreShitAfterAll.

You know perfectly well what I meant; had we put away Wet Spam and then the scum, we'd have gone on to win the league. That was our chance to go top, and I believe that it would have had seismic consequences on the media narrative. Leicester would have gone from #FairyTale to #SoTheyAreShitAfterAll.

We would have fucked it up somewhere, I'm sure.

We simply weren't good enough that year - we were better the following year but unfortunately we came up against an immovable object in Chelsea.

Last edited:
We would have fucked it up somewhere, I'm sure.

We simply weren't good enough that year - we were better the following year but unfortunately we came up against an immovable object in Chelsea.
I disagree, but there's no point arguing it...

...BECAUSE WE'RE GOING TO WIN IT THIS YEAR INSTEAD!

:dier::kanegoal::lamelaaghh::levywtf::hugoshock::pochohshit::sonlol::vert:

DpzX-aSXgAAHN3_.jpg

OH
MY
GOD

Diers performance yesterday was absolutely a horrorshow. Was it related to upcoming halloween?!?
He played DM position for 66 minutes. And he won us ball back for FU**ING 0 TIMES as far as I remember.
1 tackle (!) within that time. 1 clearence, 1 block. 31 passes with 84% of accuracy. Jeeeezus effin christ. Many numbers summed up - he did not play in that game. He mostly was not even able to get close to the opposition players. I really do not have words to describe his display. Shocking. We were all around bad yesterday, true. But despite all, Dier was the worst player on the field (and got subbed first rightly).

We desperately need a dynamic DM in mould of Gueye (I will not even mention some short French player from a London club)...

We should have taken Utd' 50m when his stock was high - he's regressed massively over the last 12 months
Yeah he's been poor for a while now. Just goes to show how bad Wanyama has been not to have displaced him. (So wish we could get that first season Victor back). His erratic passing really irks me.

OH
MY
GOD

Diers performance yesterday was absolutely a horrorshow. Was it related to upcoming halloween?!?
He played DM position for 66 minutes. And he won us ball back for FU**ING 0 TIMES as far as I remember.
1 tackle (!) within that time. 1 clearence, 1 block. 31 passes with 84% of accuracy. Jeeeezus effin christ. Many numbers summed up - he did not play in that game. He mostly was not even able to get close to the opposition players. I really do not have words to describe his display. Shocking. We were all around bad yesterday, true. But despite all, Dier was the worst player on the field (and got subbed first rightly).

We desperately need a dynamic DM in mould of Gueye (I will not even mention some short French player from a London club)...
Way, way over the top.

City didn't spank us (like we all were half expecting) largely because Dier was part of a mid-block made up of himself, Sissoko and Dembele.

Dier, Sissoko and Dembele worked OK (nothing of excellence or wow) as a collective, each performing key functions in the system played. Dembele remained central, trying not to get drawn out wide with Sissoko and Dier covering a LOT of ground all over the pitch (central and out to the wings). Subtle differences had Sissoko bias to the right and Dier to the left, with Dier the deepest of the two. Sissoko also braking with the ball.

We have a massive problem in our team, OUR FULLBACKS. Dier and Sissoko ran the extra KM's to cover these spaces, City doesn't have this problem, meaning their Central Midfielders can be more compact by comparison. But make no mistake our lads, in particular, Dier & Sissoko covered a lot of ground last night as City tried to make the pitch as big as possible.

The midfield battle was a mess for both teams virtue that both teams were aggressive and trying to win turnovers but for both sides as soon as a ball was won it was lost again in the next phase.

Dier was positionally good, I think he had a particular brief of being restrained a specific tactic that I think worked well as we didn't concede many free kicks in and around our box, where they certainly have the talent to score from. This was a game of closing down the spaces in front of our defence, these spaces are where City excel in, give them space they can and will rip you apart. Also by not committing to the tackle, he remained on his feet, repositioned and forced them to keep playing the ball around us but rarely through us.

Take a step back and put yourselves in the oppo shoes, you are either of the Silva's, Sterling or Mahrez, imagine coming up against three massive blocks in Dier, Sissoko and Dembele, who are working their nuts off to block your run or passing channel. By and large, it worked, with our chuckle brother right back letting the side down again.

The final piece of these three came in our ability to play out from the back, against an aggressive City press too I might add.

Way, way over the top.

City didn't spank us (like we all were half expecting) largely because Dier was part of a mid-block made up of himself, Sissoko and Dembele.

Dier, Sissoko and Dembele worked OK (nothing of excellence or wow) as a collective, each performing key functions in the system played. Dembele remained central, trying not to get drawn out wide with Sissoko and Dier covering a LOT of ground all over the pitch (central and out to the wings). Subtle differences had Sissoko bias to the right and Dier to the left, with Dier the deepest of the two. Sissoko also braking with the ball.

We have a massive problem in our team, OUR FULLBACKS. Dier and Sissoko ran the extra KM's to cover these spaces, City doesn't have this problem, meaning their Central Midfielders can be more compact by comparison. But make no mistake our lads, in particular, Dier & Sissoko covered a lot of ground last night as City tried to make the pitch as big as possible.

The midfield battle was a mess for both teams virtue that both teams were aggressive and trying to win turnovers but for both sides as soon as a ball was won it was lost again in the next phase.

Dier was positionally good, I think he had a particular brief of being restrained a specific tactic that I think worked well as we didn't concede many free kicks in and around our box, where they certainly have the talent to score from. This was a game of closing down the spaces in front of our defence, these spaces are where City excel in, give them space they can and will rip you apart. Also by not committing to the tackle, he remained on his feet, repositioned and forced them to keep playing the ball around us but rarely through us.

Take a step back and put yourselves in the oppo shoes, you are either of the Silva's, Sterling or Mahrez, imagine coming up against three massive blocks in Dier, Sissoko and Dembele, who are working their nuts off to block your run or passing channel. By and large, it worked, with our chuckle brother right back letting the side down again.

The final piece of these three came in our ability to play out from the back, against an aggressive City press too I might add.

We did not get spanked score wise. That is true.
But it was the only aspect.

Shots 13:4
On target 6:1

And well, there is this unquantifiable side to it. If you watched the game, we were just... so poor. And sorry, Dier was the poorest on the field. Dembele was constantly in the mix of things, hassling the oppo players over the ball. Few times went in from the back and took the ball. At times just pushed oppo player off the ball. Sissoko made some good runs and contributed in our attacking play. While Dier literally did not win ball back for us, not even once I can recall.

You told smth about putting ourselves to City players shoes in the face of Silva (who was rightly BBC man of the match), Mahrez (scorer of the goal) and Sterling (assister, should have had 2nd goal as well in all honesty) -> I would not say they had the worst of games.

It would be ofc superb, if someone was to put together compilation of those 3 in action yesterday. It would make a terrible reading for Dier in comparsion, I believe.

And well, there is this unquantifiable side to it. If you watched the game, we were just... so poor. And sorry, Dier was the poorest on the field. Dembele was constantly in the mix of things, hassling the oppo players over the ball. Few times went in from the back and took the ball. At times just pushed oppo player off the ball. Sissoko made some good runs and contributed in our attacking play. While Dier literally did not win ball back for us, not even once I can recall.

You told smth about putting ourselves to City players shoes in the face of Silva (who was rightly BBC man of the match), Mahrez (scorer of the goal) and Sterling (assister, should have had 2nd goal as well in all honesty) -> I would not say they had the worst of games.

It would be ofc superb, if someone was to put together compilation of those 3 in action yesterday. It would make a terrible reading for Dier in comparsion, I believe.
just started looking at expected goals as we had a few decent chances - kanes heavy touch and sissoko passing instead of shooting do not count, I guess if i thought about it only shots would be counted but I was surprised kanes wasnt included.

You are the first person I have seen say we were poor!!

Dier did his job. His job was to play a mid-block, his job was to stop City playing neat one two's that have ripped us (and many a good team) apart, he did this by ensuring passing lanes were blocked, it's not always about what a player does on the ball, or winning the tackle etc. what he did off the ball was really good, really disciplined performance, he and Sissoko were spread across the whole pitch and covered a lot of ground largely because of our poor fullbacks they were compensating for.

Read what I said again, he wasn't there to win back the ball and put in challenges, tonight was about staying on his feet, blocking passing lanes, stopping them pass the ball through us as they have done the last 3 times we have played them. And on the whole, it worked.

Every time we watch City we see intricate, fast, crisp passing, with AM's and strikers all moving and interchanging. They had their movement last night but were not allowed to link up as they have in the past or other games this season. By and large, we blunted their attack by stopping them ping the ball about.

You are the first person I have seen say we were poor!!

Dier did his job. His job was to play a mid-block, his job was to stop City playing neat one two's that have ripped us (and many a good team) apart, he did this by ensuring passing lanes were blocked, it's not always about what a player does on the ball, or winning the tackle etc. what he did off the ball was really good, really disciplined performance, he and Sissoko were spread across the whole pitch and covered a lot of ground largely because of our poor fullbacks they were compensating for.

Read what I said again, he wasn't there to win back the ball and put in challenges, tonight was about staying on his feet, blocking passing lanes, stopping them pass the ball through us as they have done the last 3 times we have played them. And on the whole, it worked.

Every time we watch City we see intricate, fast, crisp passing, with AM's and strikers all moving and interchanging. They had their movement last night but were not allowed to link up as they have in the past or other games this season. By and large, we blunted their attack by stopping them ping the ball about.
Dier was terrible

Back
Top Bottom