Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jones played poor midweek - Jose benched him game.
Pogba was poor - Jose benched him next game.

I’d like to see the same ruthlessness from Poch next League game. We have 0 injuries so complacency can be clamped down on. Wanyama in for the derby.

Not just getting on his case cos of that shit pass, but I've been disappointed with him for a few games now. His passing has been very poor recently and far too casual.

Seriously, time to bench him for a bit (surely he needs a bit of rest anyway). I wanna see Wanyama and Dembele start and kick fuck and overpower those Woolwich cunts on Sat.

Never be a top midfielder nor a top CB. It's like he has constant mind absences throughout the game. He's a good back up but not up to Wanyama's level as a DM and not even our third best CB. I think he's an Everton level player.

Not just getting on his case cos of that shit pass, but I've been disappointed with him for a few games now. His passing has been very poor recently and far too casual.

Seriously, time to bench him for a bit (surely he needs a bit of rest anyway). I wanna see Wanyama and Dembele start and kick fuck and overpower those Woolwich cunts on Sat.
Wanyama was a liability against Newport. Dier was surgery against Man U. Was actually ver good today, made two poor passes and was off on some through-balls and his dinks over the back four. The alternative to this is a sideways pass of course, we/he tries a far harder pass, forwards, thought everyone moans about sideways passes?

I think Wanyama is a better DM than Dier, better because he can beat a press with some skill, often takes on the opponent with a dribble, this is the difference for me. But Dier hasn't performed poorly enough to deserve to be benched IMO, and Wanyama has played well for all of 10 mins, this alone doesn't warrant him being selected ahead of Dier. I expect some rotation though.

Wanyama was a liability against Newport. Dier was surgery against Man U. Was actually ver good today, made two poor passes and was off on some through-balls and his dinks over the back four. The alternative to this is a sideways pass of course, we/he tries a far harder pass, forwards, thought everyone moans about sideways passes?

I think Wanyama is a better DM than Dier, better because he can beat a press with some skill, often takes on the opponent with a dribble, this is the difference for me. But Dier hasn't performed poorly enough to deserve to be benched IMO, and Wanyama has played well for all of 10 mins, this alone doesn't warrant him being selected ahead of Dier. I expect some rotation though.
Have to respectfully disagree. Wanyama was sensational last seaason. Arguably our player of the season. He's just coming back from a long-term injury so will forgive him an off day (everyone was shite against Newport). Dier made way more than two bad passes today and he's been sloppy in a few games leading up to this. Not saying he's crap, far from it, but think it's time to bench him for me. I'd have Victor in that midfield ahead of Dier any day, but if you think differently fair enough.

I don't think people out and out want to bench him because he is "bad". But rather to rotate so that he doesn't grow content and feel that he cannot be moved out of the 11.

The last thing we want is any player resting on his laurels

I don't think people out and out want to bench him because he is "bad". But rather to rotate so that he doesn't grow content and feel that he cannot be moved out of the 11.

The last thing we want is any player resting on his laurels
I don't think that's the case at all, he knows his position as DM is under threat given how well Wanyama played last year.

Didn't Dier play full minutes shutting down Manu only 4 days ago? I just think Poch made a mistake starting him over Wan today

Have to respectfully disagree. Wanyama was sensational last seaason. Arguably our player of the season. He's just coming back from a long-term injury so will forgive him an off day (everyone was shite against Newport). Dier made way more than two bad passes today and he's been sloppy in a few games leading up to this. Not saying he's crap, far from it, but think it's time to bench him for me. I'd have Victor in that midfield ahead of Dier any day, but if you think differently fair enough.
Wanyama is the better of the two at DM, no doubts about this. But he's only been good when playing out the last 10 mins of a game. At Newport his performance was the worst of the entire team, he was a calamity. Because of these two things he simple hasn't down anything to deserve to get a game over Dier. I'm sure (and hope) he replicates his form of last year tomorrow because he was superb. I expect him to be selected against Newport, needs to make up for that first game.

Bench a guy who cost a goal in a 2-2 draw. Cost us a point at OT too. His brain farts in big away games need to be admonished with a benching.
It's football mate. Do you bench everyone for a misplaced pass? If you did there would be no players left to play. He's not shit, he's our most versatile player and played more games than almost anyone (think Eriksen has marginally played more games but guessing, could be other way around). He's one of our most important players because of this. When someone plays shit, hides, bottle tackles, not show for the ball, then they deserved to be benched. If an other player in the same position is better then he should get benched. Wanyama is a better DM IMO but has shown nothing yet to warrant Dier being benched.

It's football mate. Do you bench everyone for a misplaced pass? If you did there would be no players left to play. He's not shit, he's our most versatile player and played more games than almost anyone (think Eriksen has marginally played more games but guessing, could be other way around). He's one of our most important players because of this. When someone plays shit, hides, bottle tackles, not show for the ball, then they deserved to be benched. If an other player in the same position is better then he should get benched. Wanyama is a better DM IMO but has shown nothing yet to warrant Dier being benched.
Look I disagree but not enough time get into some long winded back and forth over it.

I’d play Wanyama against Woolwich. Perfect man to shut down Ozil.

Dier didn’t play well but the Wanyama and Toby injuries combined with Sanchez’s ban in December basically means he’s played virtually every game. Give him a rest and put Wanyama in next to Dembele against Woolwich.

Back
Top Bottom