Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I honestly see him as both and think trying to peg him into a single hole is a disservice. A couple seasons back when he was starring at DM he was doing so primarily in front of a back 4, and slotting back into the defence to cover when we were out of possession. In his appearances recently in a back 3 he's often shifting forward as a midfielder when we're in possession. I feel like this flexibility is what makes him so great, and is why he might be the first name on Poch's teamsheet (certainly looks that way). It doesn't really matter where you put his name on a positional chart, he's gonna be all over the back of the shop depending on the situation. The man who doesn't need a position.

I see him as a liability who fxxxs up too much for an international player.

He's either very good or he's shit - there doesn't seem to be an in between.

Again though it's Pochettino not having a clear plan for him - he's played centre half a lot more than he has central midfield for us this season, yet when England games come around, he'll be back in central midfield. How is that good for anyone?

He needs to be play in one or the other. If he sees himself as a central midfielder, then he needs to say it. If he's scared that Wanyama is better than him and going to play more, than he needs to either knuckle down and take his chance, decide he wants to learn at becoming a better central defender or move on.

He should NEVER play as part of a back four ever again for this club, unless we have no other centre halves available. Awfully slow in possession when he has time on the ball, switches off and positionally awful. Can get away with it in a back three as he has two much better players either side of him and he's actually good in central midfield because positionally he's better and if he makes a mistake, he has better players behind him mopping up.

Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth, Dier should ultimately be the pecking order when everyone is fit for centre half.

I love him, think he's a good player but when he plays CB he is guaranteed to make a mistake. Especially in the big games. We need him back into midfield asap, breaking up play etc. He is too slow as a centre back, which was evident last night and in the Man United game. Good player but too many mistakes for me to be taken seriously in the games that we must win. The sooner we get Wanyama back into that role the better!!!

He should have been moved to CM early doors yesterday. We were getting smashed in the midfield & down our right the whole game & I’d have hooked Trippier & Dembele for Foyth & Aurier. We may still have got a good hiding but Dier was a shambles in a back 4. Foyth needs some games particularly if Toby is going to be out until February. Why not throw him in when things were clearly going very wrong from the opening exchanges? The lateness/ timing of our substitutions always frustrates me. If things are going well, only substitute for fresh legs or to use up time. But yesterday we were on the wrong end of a mauling & a tactical change was necessary before we completely fell apart. We’d ridden our luck for 70 minutes before the floodgates opened... we should have changed it around long before then.

He should have been moved to CM early doors yesterday. We were getting smashed in the midfield & down our right the whole game & I’d have hooked Trippier & Dembele for Foyth & Aurier. We may still have got a good hiding but Dier was a shambles in a back 4. Foyth needs some games particularly if Toby is going to be out until February. Why not throw him in when things were clearly going very wrong from the opening exchanges? The lateness/ timing of our substitutions always frustrates me. If things are going well, only substitute for fresh legs or to use up time. But yesterday we were on the wrong end of a mauling & a tactical change was necessary before we completely fell apart. We’d ridden our luck for 70 minutes before the floodgates opened... we should have changed it around long before then.

Bang on about Foyth... Looked decent so far and we need him in the mix.

Squad goals.

DTSptTHWAAABbGe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom