England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The difference between a progressive manager and Southgate is that for example a progressive manager like Ange would have played Trent at RB against Mbappe instead of Walker, give them something to worry about going the other way especially since Mbappe doesn't really track his runner that well.

That's an extreme example by the way and things like that won't work all the time but I'm pretty sure if you set this bunch of players up like that more often than not you're gonna be successful by the virtue of having a stronger attack than the vast majority of other intl teams.

Rashford was brilliant last season.

It took a long, long period of decline for Sterling to get phased out of the team.
I think that second half of last season was his first consistent bit of form for a few seasons. I don't think he's done enough in his career to warrant the amount of caps he's had. And although I agree on sterling's form he was dropped while rashford who was just as bad or worse was retained within the squad. That doesn't make sense to me.

Rashford is clinging on because we have an abundance of RW’s and very few left sided players. It’s him, Grealish and Gordon and one of those has been injured all season. The other is young and not bedded in to the NT.

Probably also why on occasion Southgate has shoe horned Maddison in on that left side.

I can see him putting Foden there to get him in the side on the left. In the same way Paul Scholes was put on the left in his not best position to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard.

The difference between a progressive manager and Southgate is that for example a progressive manager like Ange would have played Trent at RB against Mbappe instead of Walker, give them something to worry about going the other way especially since Mbappe doesn't really track his runner that well.

That's an extreme example by the way and things like that won't work all the time but I'm pretty sure if you set this bunch of players up like that more often than not you're gonna be successful by the virtue of having a stronger attack than the vast majority of other intl teams.

Biggest difference is in a 433 Ange would be Bellingham, Rice, Maddison not Bellingham, Rice, Henderson/Philips.

He should have gone after that final against Italy. It was a home banker and he fucked it.

100%.

Heroic failure is success in the eyes of the FA.

Should have without a doubt gone after the WC..... It wasn't even heroic failure; just bare minimum.

The train-wreck of getting relegated in the Nations League (and the fact that we were poor either side of the Euros) was more symbolic than some recognise.

But then as now, who do you get in. I'd risk it on Potter to be fair if we are sticking with an English chap.

"Now" is too late........ Howe will be free in the summer (i.e. after the Euros) tho'.

I think Potter would need too much training time with the team.

Last edited:
White 'made himself unavailable' - Southgate

Not often I'll agree with a Gooner, but I'll agree with Ben White's decision, International friendlies now at the business end of the season is just utterly stupid.

It might be stupid but when you’re on the periphery of a squad you should be jumping at the chance to earn a place for a huge international tournament round the corner.

The fact he hasn’t shows a distinct lack of dedication to his international career. Which is fine and his choice.

100%.

Heroic failure is success in the eyes of the FA.

Should have without a doubt gone after the WC..... It wasn't even heroic failure; just bare minimum.

The train-wreck of getting relegate din the Nations League (and the fact that we were poor either side of the Euros) was more symbolic than some recognise.

"Now" is too late........ Howe will be free in the summer (i.e. after the Euros) tho'.

I think Potter would need too much training time with the team.

Remember when they gave Capello a new contract for no real reason and then sacked him 6 months later. They dont really have a common sense button.

Remember when they gave Capello a new contract for no real reason and then sacked him 6 months later. They dont really have a common sense button.

They seem to think that they need to buy commitment and dedication to a tournament by dishing out a new contract for after it....... Which is totally backwards, weak and projects fear and the notion that the gaffa is doing the FA a favour.

The new deal should be a reward for a job done well; not a 'bribe'.

Last edited:
It might be stupid but when you’re on the periphery of a squad you should be jumping at the chance to earn a place for a huge international tournament round the corner.

The fact he hasn’t shows a distinct lack of dedication to his international career. Which is fine and his choice.
He won't get in at RB and is unlikely to get in at CB as he doesn't play there anymore for his club. So he's sort of in no mans land.

And he's apparently a weirdo that doesn't even like football.

He literally played every game of the World Cup, he's Southgate's right hand man so he will start

Wouldn't have a problem if we were winning but we don't win, pointless playing him and having him as a leader if he can't lead us to anything.
Exactly it's like learning nothing from Ange. Leadership groups that have repeatedly failed are not an asset they are part of the problem. All your doing is building ingrained failure. I pity England fans still drinking we are on the treashold of success koolaid. We already missed the boat on this.

Probably also why on occasion Southgate has shoe horned Maddison in on that left side.

I can see him putting Foden there to get him in the side on the left. In the same way Paul Scholes was put on the left in his not best position to accommodate Lampard and Gerrard.
Don’t think left attack hinders Foden at all…. He looks good whether it’s right, central or left

Exactly it's like learning nothing from Ange. Leadership groups that have repeatedly failed are not an asset they are part of the problem. All your doing is building ingrained failure. I pity England fans still drinking we are on the treashold of success koolaid. We already missed the boat on this.

Henderson won numerous cups as captain of Liverpool, he’s not part of any ingrained failure. He’s been around the squad during our most successful period since ‘66.

Having someone around who has played in 3 CL finals, a euros final and multiple FA cup finals is a good thing, no?

Henderson won numerous cups as captain of Liverpool, he’s not part of any ingrained failure. He’s been around the squad during our most successful period since ‘66.

Having someone around who has played in 3 CL finals, a euros final and multiple FA cup finals is a good thing, no?

Not if they're shit, no.

Not if they're shit, no.

Showtime Good Point GIF by Billions

Tonight's ECL comms: "Henderson can't run like he used to".

Fucking great. :levywtf:

........It's not like he was ever particularly great on the more footbally end of things to begin with.

Oh like Hugo Loris you mean....yeah captain of the world champions. It does not merely translate in this way. We have had the 'benefit' of Hendersons leadership at many tournaments including one on home soil. Your seriously over-rating his importance at International level. Its all about opinions mine is he is done and should be dispensed with. As someone pointed out it had already started then Southgate froze, as is his want. By all means keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different result there's an axiom about that. We won't win anything with Southgate's Henderson Maguire and Tripper contributing I 100% certain.

Back
Top Bottom