England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Alright cool no worries, I'm gonna bookmark this conversation for when he plays in the Euros then.

If he starts in the Euros I’ll be the first to call bullshit on it. I’m just not going to be angry at his presence in the team.

But as a country we still have work to do with producing 6 type players. Rice seems to much prefer box to box and we’ve got a rich list of ones who like 10.

I'd question why Rashford is there more than Henderson. I wouldnt have either but Southgate has his favourites.
That's my only gripe tbh. I don't really agree with Henderson but I can understand it and it's justifiable. Rashford does average season in season out. And Southgate dumped sterling out of the squad so I don't buy in to all that continuity bollocks myself.

That's my only gripe tbh. I don't really agree with Henderson but I can understand it and it's justifiable. Rashford does average season in season out. And Southgate dumped sterling out of the squad so I don't buy in to all that continuity bollocks myself.

Rashford was brilliant last season.

It took a long, long period of decline for Sterling to get phased out of the team.

I'm glad to see the back of Sterling......... I can't stand watching him and his heads-down dribbly oblivion.

If he starts in the Euros I’ll be the first to call bullshit on it. I’m just not going to be angry at his presence in the team.

But as a country we still have work to do with producing 6 type players. Rice seems to much prefer box to box and we’ve got a rich list of ones who like 10.

The problem I have with Southgate picking players like Henderson and Maguire is that we all know that a better/more progressive manager would have done a lot more to progress the team and these players wouldn't be anywhere near to being picked, had Southgate left like he promised after the WC then we wouldn't have this issue and these types of players wouldn't be near the squad.

This is why people say that he's holding this team back because he's still relying on the old guard of 6 years ago when there's clearly better players in that position. You say that Mainoo is a kid, so fekin what? He's a baller who wouldn't look out of place at International level, same for Eze. We really need to get out of this thinking about needing certain players for experience, yes the useful ones like Kane, Stones, Walker, Shaw, Trippier etc...but not the likes of Jordan Henderson, and quite frankly if you need someone like him to do your coaching for you on the pitch and become a leader in the dressing room then you're in the wrong job.

England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Woolwich), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Woolwich), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

This was the first post I saw here. Rob Green. Phil Jones. Glen Johnson. Stewart Downing. Ashley Young. James Milner. Danny Welbeck. Andy Carroll... Christ. This current England squad absolutely destroys that one from 2012.

Kalvin Phillips:

"He revealed he had spoken to Southgate about his options, which included going to Juventus. “He said to be playing in the Premier League versus playing anywhere else … it’s just that little bit of a step down in quality,” Phillips said. “So yeah, he influenced me to stay in England.”"

Playing for Juventus would be a step down from playing for West Ham.

You're England manager ladies and gentlemen...

And then, after stitching him up a treat, goes and doesn't pick him anyway...

:sonlol:

Nah Kalvin, never mind life in Turin and fine Italian dining playing for one of, historically, Europe's top clubs, it's just that little bit of a step down from munching jellied eels, staring into Moysie's dead eyes every day, watching Green Street in the canteen, taking ice baths in empty wheelie bins, they're Champions of Europe don't you know???

No doubt he had a fortnights' tanning session booked in for the TINTernational Break... Thinking/assuming he wouldn't be picked anyway...

Orange prick!

Kalvin Phillips:

"He revealed he had spoken to Southgate about his options, which included going to Juventus. “He said to be playing in the Premier League versus playing anywhere else … it’s just that little bit of a step down in quality,” Phillips said. “So yeah, he influenced me to stay in England.”"

Playing for Juventus would be a step down from playing for West Ham.

You're England manager ladies and gentlemen...

And then, after stitching him up a treat, goes and doesn't pick him anyway...

:sonlol:

Meanwhile Hendo trotted off to the Saudi desert and then the dutch league with his position never in doubt.

"Southgate you're the one... You still turn me on" 🎵🎵🎵

I think we'll initially look excellent in the Euros, score lots of goals as we did in the last World Cup and then get edged out by a France, Spain or Portugal in a game we really could have won had we had a manager who was a bit more courageous. The moment we face a really top side he will worry more about what they can do rather than focus on what we could do to teams.

I think we'll look initially look excellent in the Euros, score lots of goals as we did in the last World Cup and then get edged out by a France, Spain or Portugal in a game we really could have won had we had a manager who was a bit more courageous.

We'll be fine until Gary is required to use tactical nouse to change a game against another team with good players.

Last edited:
Exactly. He just doesn't have it in him in those big moments when you need a manager to make a big call. At some point in a World Cup or a Euros you will need that.

He made a complete mess of both the Italy & France games....... And just completely froze against Croatia.

I think we'll initially look excellent in the Euros, score lots of goals as we did in the last World Cup and then get edged out by a France, Spain or Portugal in a game we really could have won had we had a manager who was a bit more courageous. The moment we face a really top side he will worry more about what they can do rather than focus on what we could do to teams.

Exactly what he didn’t do against France. We went out, we outplayed them, they won because of swift breaks and more decisive individuals on the day. And because Harry Kane fluffed a penalty.

I think people have become too harsh on Southgate. This England team HAS evolved and showed progression in tournaments as the level of talent has evolved.

My issues with him as a coach span pretty wide but there does seem to be a few cliches about him that he just can’t throw off.

He made a complete mess of both the Italy & France games....... And just completely froze against Croatia.

No he didn’t. That is revisionism.

Croatia? Yes. Early on as coach. But they also had better players who asserted more control. Italy? Sure, but I do also think the players share some blame as they retreated in to the shell of their own accord.

France was fine. I’m not going to blame a coach for Kane skying a penalty.

Exactly what he didn’t do against France. We went out, we outplayed them, they won because of swift breaks and more decisive individuals on the day. And because Harry Kane fluffed a penalty.

I think people have become too harsh on Southgate. This England team HAS evolved and showed progression in tournaments as the level of talent has evolved.

My issues with him as a coach span pretty wide but there does seem to be a few cliches about him that he just can’t throw off.

It was a close game between two good sides but ultimately even though we played well at times, especially in the second half, he took Saka off when he was running rings around them. That's the opposite of making a game changing or match winning contribution. Considering France were without a few key players (Benzema, Pogba, Kante etc) there wasn't a better time for us to beat them, and ultimately we didn't.

I do agree that he gets too much hate and has also done some good things for England. But he's a Crystal Palace level manager managing a world-class group of players.

Southgate was of his time, he is a nice guy who plays defensive football and whose personality has helped to create a better environment and for that can say he has done a good job.

The issue is you now have an England team with arguably the best first 11, certianly best attacking first 11 in the World on paper (although not as much depth as France), you have Kane, Saka, Bellingham, Foden, Maddison, 2 or 3 of them could be going for Ballon’s this season or next, they are that good. There isn’t much evidence he knows how to coach elite attacking players into reaching their potential as a team and the worry of yet again wasting a golden generation of players.

To sit on this level of attacking talent and then fail to use it properly would be a huge let down.

It was a close game between two good sides but ultimately even though we played well at times, especially in the second half, he took Saka off when he was running rings around them. That's the opposite of making a game changing or match winning contribution. Considering France were without a few key players there wasn't a better time for us to beat them, and ultimately we didn't.

I do agree that he gets too much hate and has also done some good things for England. But he's a Crystal Palace level manager managing a world-class group of players.

Saka was shattered. Go back and watch the game again, for a little bit prior to the sub you could see it. His tank was empty.

Even with a few players missing they were a hugely talented team across the pitch and a shootout away from being the champions.

Southgate did lots right in that game. Tactically nullified Mbappe completely, prevented France creating clear-cut chances, we had control over the game for the most part. We lost because Kane missed a penalty, Pickford was dodgy on the opening goal and we just weren’t quite there in the moments that counted.

I’m not blaming him for that. He’s absolutely a Palace level coach but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna blame him for everything. He’s become a super easy scapegoat and I genuinely don’t think the loss to France was on him.

No he didn’t. That is revisionism.

It's not... That was my opinion at the time and it hasn't changed.

His subs had tactical awareness to them.... Our inevitable late push was despite the lack of balance & cohesion he created; not because of it.

It was a back and forth game and both times they scored the game then ebbed in the opposite direction; which had just as much to do with them as it did us (or Gary).

It's not... That was my opinion at the time and it hasn't changed.

His subs had tactical awareness to them.... Our inevitable late push was despite the lack of balance & cohesion he created; not because of it.

It was a back and forth game and both times they scored the game then ebbed in the opposite direction; which had just as much to do with them as it did us (or Gary).

I think the idea he made a ‘total mess’ of the France game is bordering on ridiculously harsh. You can totally criticise some of the subs … I wasn’t huge on them myself. But we weren’t bad at all in that game and tactically the setup worked pretty well. Deserves credit for how well we dealt with Mbappe.

Their goals were a combination of Pickford/Maguire and Griezmann not being picked up properly in midfield.

Italy & Croatia absolutely had lots of hallmarks of questionable coaching and decisions. But against France I thought he did a lot of the things people had been asking for.

Back
Top Bottom