England Manager

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I actually quite like Southgate, but the job is too big for him and too toxic.

What England needs is someone with balls of steel who'll drop players left, right and centre, and completely revamp the setup. Unfortunately that'll never happen with the FA as conservative and mediocre as it's always been.

Glen Johnson injured? Surely he told Southgate that when he got the call.
Obviously Southgate doesn't believe in youth youth youth as he said that's what England have been doing and you need some experience.
So, does he intend to take Jonson to the world cup instead of Walker or Clyne?
I wonder if they are mates.
Rooney, Cahill and Walcott have as much experience as Moore, Hurst and Keown at international level.
Why not call Defoe for Kane or Milner for on one of the Liverpool injured up then, they have as much as Experience as Johnson.

Danny Simpson is a right back he could have called on isn't he.

Whilst I'd like to think Southgate would use his U-21s experience to use the players he knows so well from that level (mainly the Spurs contingent!) as his BEDROCK, building an England team around them for the next 10 years...
Sadly he's an interim 'yes man' who will probably play whoever Rooney tells him to!

He won't last beyond the next 4 games... even if we win the lot I'd imagine the FA see (themselves and the job) as slightly more HIGH PROFILE than the Pizza Hut Kid!

A Boro fan's comments on our new supremo, Gareth Southgate:

Speaking as a Middlesbrough supporter I remember only too well Gareth's tenure as manager. I liked almost everything about him - he's erudite, appreciated the importance of football to the region, got what football was supposed to provide, spoke very intelligently about the game. What I didn't warm to was his tactical thinking and relationships with the players. Anyone who disapproved of the party line or disagreed with him/poked fun at him in front of the other players was quietly sold off - he couldn't control Cattermole, Parlour made some ill-judged albeit funny remarks to him at a players meeting - whereas you imagine a stronger manager would have dealt with instances like these better. Each defeat was followed with a stock 'We'll learn from this' line in post-match interviews. Some of his transfer decisions were poor, though it's never been made 100% clear exactly who was responsible for recruiting Alves and Mido, one a faint-hearted busted flush, the other a terrible human being by all accounts. Most of all, when Boro were clearly going down in 2009 he obviously didn't have a clue how to steady the ship. Not easy for anyone to do this, of course, but we had numerous opportunities to escape the drop and none of them were taken. It's taken a long time to recover from that downfall.

It's hoped in the nine years since he was sacked that Gareth has indeed learned some things from his time and has transferred this to his work with England. My worry is that there's a reason why he has never been placed in charge of another club since Boro, and that all those failings exposed at the Riverside will just be magnified, and to a far harsher and crueller extent, with England, just as they were for McClaren.

All of which said, Gareth was a magnificent player and captain, a loyal servant, easily one of McClaren's most astute purchases, and he would walk into my all-time Boro XI. I really like the guy and I only wish him well, which is something I can't say where other failed managers are concerned aka Strachan.

So: likeable, polite, clean image, interviews well, above reproach. Poor manager.

The FA will have confidence in him, but I can't see the player doing so.

(the complete antithesis of Harry R then!)

someone with balls of steel who'll drop players left, right and centre
He's available

giphy.gif

Would've been interesting.

The FA never appoint risky choices, Redknapp, Clough etc because they ain't yes men.
In the cozy world of the FA they want managers who won't rock the boat.
Glenn Hoddle would be again an excellent choice but his skill and knowledge would completely alter the status quo, where players like Rooney wouldn't be anywhere near the squad.

If you want an English manager Glenn would be about as good as it's going to get, but tbf he has been out of management for too long now. Maybe as an assistant he could work out? At least with Glenn you would think the likes of Rooney can say goodbye. Just hope he isn't going to deploy Townsend as a number 10...

Southgate has started well.

Confirmed that both Rooney and Walcott will start tomorrow.[/QUOTE

To be fair, I'd prefer he started players like that and minimised game time for our lot.

Fuck having our season disrupted by having Alli get his leg broken against fucking Malta

'Gather round ya cunts, right the wonderful Wayne and Theo are starting the game tomorrow and the rest of you will have to wait and find out if your at the level of these two superstars, now back to training ya muppets and i'll be watching.'
The future's bright, the future's Gareth,Wayne and Theo.
Happy fucking days.

To be fair, I'd prefer he started players like that and minimised game time for our lot.

Fuck having our season disrupted by having Alli get his leg broken against fucking Malta

Yeah I'd love to see:

Hart
Walker* - Stones - Cahill - Bertrand
Henderson - Rooney
Walcott - Lingard - Townsend
Rashford
* - No other right backs.

Back
Top Bottom