Early buy in January or barrel scraping at the end

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will he buy early or late?

• Early

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Late

Votes: 28 49.1%

• Total voters
Liam Neeson Good Luck GIF

I plan to do it even more

This blaming levy for everything should now stop. Yes in the past he has been a problem but he has now put a large team in place to handle recruitment. Levy will be involved in setting the budget but not who they buy and when.
Everyone knows that we want someone in early and the selling clubs will use that to blackmail us to pay more. Whilst Ange does put new players in earlier they still take time to get up to speed on our system.
We seem to be linked with a number of players and should we take the player that is best or the one that will be signed next week?
Difficult decisions for the recruitment team but whilst we all want someone in early blaming Levy if it does not happen is not likely to be accurate.

Yeah. Course mate. He has no say whatsoever.
Just sets a budget and has no say.
Just sets a budget, like 🤷‍♀️

giphy.gif

It's disappointing that Phillips and Dorrington don't seem to be good enough even as back ups. Ange hates playing Dier but he still plays him ahead of the two young guys. I hear that Phillips is not fast enough for the way Ange wants to play. Better we loan them out and hope they improve.

Yeah. Course mate. He has no say whatsoever.
Just sets a budget and has no say.
Just sets a budget, like 🤷‍♀️

giphy.gif
He has put an expensive team in place to manage transfers and it is their job to ge the right players in. There was a spell in Paratici’s reign when we got players in early because Levy was not involved in the negotiations. Last summer with Paratici suspended and the new team not in place he got involved again and as I criticised him at thei time he put money before the team and sold our best player Kane. Whilst many on here backed that, I still think we would have more points if Kane was here instead of Johnson.

There is a phrase ‘ why buy a dog and bark yourself’ there is absolutely no point in putting the transfer team together and get involved himself. Therefore if the transfers are not done in the first week, it will not be because Levy is being a pain in the arse trying to improve the deal.
We will not find out the total spend until the end of the Month but I expect it to be more than we usually spend-in January. However my point is that posters should look at the change in personnel dealing with transfers.

There are a plethora of signings that have been a cheap option as well as an expensive option that have fallen flat on our faces, the 3 you have mentioned are decent signings but we could go down the Ndombele, Sessignon. Soldado, Wimmer ect route, but Im sure you get my drift

Well no, because none of those players were purchased during the winter window, which is why I explicitly mentioned those three to back up your claim. Saha and Nelsen should surely have been mentioned?

Either way, the retort to this; for the past twenty odd years, our chairman has personally scouted every single signing

Honestly, stop for a moment and re-read that last sentence again; for the past twenty odd years, our chairman has personally scouted every single signing

He has put an expensive team in place to manage transfers and it is their job to ge the right players in. There was a spell in Paratici’s reign when we got players in early because Levy was not involved in the negotiations. Last summer with Paratici suspended and the new team not in place he got involved again and as I criticised him at thei time he put money before the team and sold our best player Kane. Whilst many on here backed that, I still think we would have more points if Kane was here instead of Johnson.

There is a phrase ‘ why buy a dog and bark yourself’ there is absolutely no point in putting the transfer team together and get involved himself. Therefore if the transfers are not done in the first week, it will not be because Levy is being a pain in the arse trying to improve the deal.
We will not find out the total spend until the end of the Month but I expect it to be more than we usually spend-in January. However my point is that posters should look at the change in personnel dealing with transfers.

Kane leaving in the Summer was the best option for us, hence why he had to get involved.

Pointless hanging onto him, he wouldn't have signed a new contract anyway.

It's disappointing that Phillips and Dorrington don't seem to be good enough even as back ups. Ange hates playing Dier but he still plays him ahead of the two young guys. I hear that Phillips is not fast enough for the way Ange wants to play. Better we loan them out and hope they improve.
If Philips isn't quick enough for the system, it begs the question, why did we buy him, and did the manager approve this.

According to Alasdair Gold, Ange has already as good as said that the January window will not be "transformative" and that injuries are quite common as teams get used to Angeball. It's also going to be very hard to get clubs to part with their best talent in the January window.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWMiDo0Z4UE

I think the club will be hesitant to panic and undo all the work that has already been done to get sub-standard players out of the squad by bringing in more sub-standard players and the reality is that most of the CBs that will be available this January won't be good enough in the long term. There is no point in releasing Eric Dier and Davinson Sanchez and replacing them with Eric Dier and Davinson Sanchez.

I don’t think people realise how much harder it is to play a a teenage defender than as teenage attacker. It involves so much more off the ball work which is almost always the slowest part of a players game to develop.

This makes sense because neither Dorrington or Philips look particularly quick. Makes you wonder why we prioritised Philips signing.

Well no, because none of those players were purchased during the winter window, which is why I explicitly mentioned those three to back up your claim. Saha and Nelsen should surely have been mentioned?

Either way, the retort to this; for the past twenty odd years, our chairman has personally scouted every single signing

Honestly, stop for a moment and re-read that last sentence again; for the past twenty odd years, our chairman has personally scouted every single signing
Writing it twice doesn't make it true.

Levy doing his own scouting?

Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

What are the odds for Cameron Carter Vickers, Marcus Edwards and Jota in January?
Cameron Carter Vickers has matured into a class centre back. Mobile, quick, decent range of passing and as strong as an ox

He's really improved and has been solid in the Champions League. A total snip at £6 million for us

You probably remember him as a young guy on the fringes but he's head and shoulders above Davies, no disrespect to Davies

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom