Early buy in January or barrel scraping at the end

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will he buy early or late?

• Early

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Late

Votes: 28 49.1%

• Total voters

Spaniel

Ignorant but enthusiastic
I think we all know the best players get snapped up early and we have a tendency to buy late and cheap. With Ange in charge now, this is a fantastic opportunity to crack the top 4 or even win the league. But it depends almost entirely on Levy to grasp this chance with both hands. I'm used to the barrel scraping after lots of big talk and being linked with great players. If we don't buy, I read on this forum that Ange is generating a lot of interest. How long will he stay if he's not backed.

I think we all know the best players get snapped up early and we have a tendency to buy late and cheap. With Ange in charge now, this is a fantastic opportunity to crack the top 4 or even win the league. But it depends almost entirely on Levy to grasp this chance with both hands. I'm used to the barrel scraping after lots of big talk and being linked with great players. If we don't buy, I read on this forum that Ange is generating a lot of interest. How long will he stay if he's not backed.
I think the transfer policy will be the same as normal, if it takes four weeks of negotiations to get someone in then so be it.
If the team struggles, it's ok as long as the price is right.
This season top five gives clubs CL, he is never going to win the league at spurs, but CL would be acceptable to all concerned.

I think the transfer policy will be the same as normal, if it takes four weeks of negotiations to get someone in then so be it.
If the team struggles, it's ok as long as the price is right.
This season top five gives clubs CL, he is never going to win the league at spurs, but CL would be acceptable to all concerned.
In jeopardy currently, thanks to the shite showings of Newcastle and Man Utd.

Deals will only be done if there is opportunity and the price is right. As has always been the case with Levy. Will be down to who is available and if our staff team deems them required.

Personally don't think there will be much movement, outside of a CB if we are able to negotiate with any team for a reasonable mid-season price.

bottom-of-barrel.jpg

Deals will only be done if there is opportunity and the price is right. As has always been the case with Levy. Will be down to who is available and if our staff team deems them required.

Personally don't think there will be much movement, outside of a CB if we are able to negotiate with any team for a reasonable mid-season price.
The most activity will likely be, moving people out and free up wages, levy likes to do that.

The most activity will likely be, moving people out and free up wages, levy likes to do that.
The activity will probably be typical for a January window. Last years was an anomaly mostly thanks to Chelsea but the four before that capped out at around 150m spent by EPL teams — and we’ve been a very significant part of that — as compared to 1.2 - 1.5 billion ish — 2b or so for the last couple of seasons — in summer.
When we brought in Deki and Bentancur, I think we were the only top four contenders that made a move. Most teams that are competing are loathe to give up their best players in January.
I expect a couple of modest moves and, hopefully, a couple of others to free up space and salary. I expect those thinking that we’re going to bring in 4 or more are going to be bitterly disappointed. I doubt there are four game-changing transfers across Europe let alone to one team.

I think we all know the best players get snapped up early

Like who?

I put it on another thread. Last season 50 transfers on the final day.

Think about 12 in the first week.

The whole industry is built around that last week as players swap clubs.

A few happen the first half. But the best?

Ii had the time I would go over the last 5 January transfer windows pick out the best 10 players and see what date it went through. I’d be amazed if early - within the first week - was the result.

Been told by good sources we will get a CB in early and if the price is right towards end of window and Hjojberg goes we will bid for CG

The activity will probably be typical for a January window. Last years was an anomaly mostly thanks to Chelsea but the four before that capped out at around 150m spent by EPL teams — and we’ve been a very significant part of that — as compared to 1.2 - 1.5 billion ish — 2b or so for the last couple of seasons — in summer.
When we brought in Deki and Bentancur, I think we were the only top four contenders that made a move. Most teams that are competing are loathe to give up their best players in January.
I expect a couple of modest moves and, hopefully, a couple of others to free up space and salary. I expect those thinking that we’re going to bring in 4 or more are going to be bitterly disappointed. I doubt there are four game-changing transfers across Europe let alone to one team.
Yes I think that, we have to bring a CB in because that's a must.
Other than that, possibly a loan signing, otherwise it's what you said freeing up space.
No way is any more than that coming in.

Back
Top Bottom