Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So we all bought tickets at home to Dortmund (and the 3k+ away last night) in the expectation that it was going to be a cracking tie over 2 legs, and we've all just been fucked over royally. Will Spurs now give us all a partial refund for the home tie given its as good as a dead rubber, especially when Poch sends out the under-12s to play next Thursday.

Our problem is that key players like Kane and Dier, that play incredibly important roles in our system, are completely knackered. We wouldn't be in this situation if we had players to rotate with during the season. It's hopefully positions we'll address in the summer (we're already being linked with strikers and cms as it is).

Agreed as a club we always fail to strengthen. Last night was an example of our weak transfer policy in action, soon as Kane and Dier are rested we are fucked.

As a team our B team players should be looking to use the cups as a way to get in the first team for Prem games. Kane did it after all using the EL to start his career.

If fatigue is a problem then we have to rest, next season hopefully we will have bought a new Dier and a new Kane so we can fight on more front than just the league.

Most of us knew at the start of the season when the Berahino deal fell through and we didn't get another DM etc we where always going to be open to this kind of problem.

For me Mason, Carroll and so on are ok players, but they are not Champions League level and last night we faced a Champions League level team. On that basis it is for Levy to provide Poch with the players next season that can take us forward so we can rotate without shitting ourselves.

If Poch thinks we need to rest players for Villa, then you can bet we need to rest players for Villa. He's seeing the team flag and he's making the right call. It's tough to take, and I certainly feel for the fans who make the trip, but I don't want our league chances, however small, being compromised by a manager trying to be "respectful".
Did we need to rest players against palace in the fa cup for the fiorentina game in the europa league?

I was infuriated when i saw the team selection. why the f*ck did poche play full strength squads earlier in the competition vs monaco and fiorentina only to play our reserves in what could of been a showcase for spurs... if your gonna throw in the towel vs dortmund why tire the first team earlier in the season when we had games 3 days later? wtf

I can only guess that the players he left out are knackered . Which is , of course , a worry. Poch said that he chose the best team available so that said his hand was forced. Sunday will show us if the rest helped.

Did we need to rest players against palace in the fa cup for the fiorentina game in the europa league?
Maybe between now and then they've got noticeably more fatigued? I certainly noticed Dier.

Our run has been significantly tougher since then. Spam and Scum would have taken a bit out of them.

I cannot believe the lack of trust people are giving Poch.

Again , I honestly think that Poch asks players to see how they're feeling, maybe then they said a rest was needed. I really think that last night a few key players just didn't have the legs for 90 mins. The effort they've put in this season is second to none.

Where we do struggle is depth of squad & that has to be sorted out in the Summer.

That team should have been starting at Villa on Sunday. I don't know why he's left it so late to start rotating either. He went full strength away at Qarabag with Chelsea on the Sunday, yet rested starters against one of Europe's best with a team that are already down and have already given up on the Sunday.

Again , I honestly think that Poch asks players to see how they're feeling, maybe then they said a rest was needed. I really think that last night a few key players just didn't have the legs for 90 mins. The effort they've put in this season is second to none.

Where we do struggle is depth of squad & that has to be sorted out in the Summer.

100%, what happens this summer could determine if we really break the glass ceiling once and for all, we have a great first 11, we need a bit more though to get to that next level.

Still if we manage top 3 this season that on its own is great and if we do somehow win the league it would be beyond remarkable.

Lose - Lose for the manager in these situations.

This is what i have heard in this thread:

"The players need a rest, we need to concentrate on winning the league and they all look knackered"
"you rested too many players, this was a high profile game and we should have tried to win it"
"Poch has been good at playing the youngsters and giving them minutes to develop"
"we should have spent more on squad players in the transfer window"

Literally impossible to please everyone. Don't get me wrong, i was as surprised as everyone else at the team line up when i heard it.

The man makes his decisions and he has to stick by them, does he get it right most of the time? I would say yes.
He is a young manager, coaching a young team. Experience is in short supply. But we have to believe that it will come with patience and understanding from the supporters.

I think Poch genuinely thought we could get a draw or a narrow loss with that team. We started fairly well for that kind of outcome. But the quality difference eventually told. Carroll and Mason as the holding pair was always going to provide problems. I think Dier and Dembele in there from the start and you have a vastly different outcome.

They are not our rivals, also they played amazing, far better than any prem team we faced this season.
They played amazing cause we let them play how they wanted. A lot of my anger comes from me hating the love in English fans have with Dortmund, all cause they jump about waving yellow flags. Hate it

That team should have been starting at Villa on Sunday. I don't know why he's left it so late to start rotating either. He went full strength away at Qarabag with Chelsea on the Sunday, yet rested starters against one of Europe's best with a team that are already down and have already given up on the Sunday.

As frustrating as it is I think we just have to accept that a lot of important players just have run out of gas. I'm sure if Poch asked Kane, Dier etc how they feel & they said great then we would have seen a full team. I think Woollich & spam took a lot out of them. The bounce back on Sunday is so important, if we fail to get the win due to lack of energy then it's going to be a long end to the season

They played amazing cause we let them play how they wanted. A lot of my anger comes from me hating the love in English fans have with Dortmund, all cause they jump about waving yellow flags. Hate it
I think the 'love in' is actually envy. We'd all love to see our club supported like Dortmund, if you say otherwise I'd like to know an alternative example of support you envy.

I was infuriated when i saw the team selection. why the f*ck did poche play full strength squads earlier in the competition vs monaco and fiorentina only to play our reserves in what could of been a showcase for spurs... if your gonna throw in the towel vs dortmund why tire the first team earlier in the season when we had games 3 days later? wtf
Amazing people can't figure this point out for themselves.

Because the League title wasn't as gettable as it is now, we didn't have 9 games left with 5 points to gain with 2 weak sides to play.

How are people not getting this? Critical thinking really is a virtue.

Back
Top Bottom