Do we have top 5 attack/midfield in the world?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Young, dynamic, much more potential for growth, actually presses.

I'd swap in an instant.

"Potential" being the key word here.

In the abstract that's an argument, but would I trade that potential for what service we have ACTUALLY had from Sonny & Kane over their time here? No way.

Saka + Martinelli have WC potential. The former 100%.

So does Kulu.

Give me a a one off game... Here & now?

I'm picking our front 3; no question.

Woolwich have only scored 2 more goals than us, despite the fact we've had an injury to our most important attacker for a couple of months.
Reason for gap between us and them in table is mainly defence.

I'd like to see a breakdown of those goals i.e how many from set pieces (we seem to score a LOT from set pieces) and how many from midfield etc.

Just from watching games, their attack this season has been far more dynamic, has caused teams much more active issues throughout 90 minutes, and also looks to actually press the opposition from the front.

"Potential" being the key word here.

In the abstract that's an argument, but would I trade that potential for what service we have ACTUALLY had from Sonny & Kane over their time here? No way.

So does Kulu.

Give me a a one off game... Here & now?

I'm picking our front 3; no question.

I'm picking Martinelli/Kane/Saka.

But if someone wants to go with Kulu I won't say they're wrong.

Son just won golden boot, although he's on poor form now.
But Brazil coach rated Richarlison over Martinelli (albeit at CF). It's not clear cut. You could make a case for our front 3.

Yeah I'm basing it on here and now. If Son was anywhere near top form he starts, but he isn't.

Martinelli isn't a CF .. the fact he even went to the WC when Brazil have so many great LW options is impressive.

Woolwich have a much more set first 11, they have no obvious holes like we do (RWB & CB) and are further down their ‘’project’’ than us.

On paper we have a better attack then them but the balance of the Woolwich team is better and Woolwich have had no injuries during the start of the season. Kane/Kulusevski/Richarlison/Son is superior to Jesus/Oldegaard/Martinelli/Saka but not by a huge amount and our system is hurt by the likes of Emerson needing to play.

Modern football needs no weak links for the defence and attack to function collectively. If we had the Woolwich attack and gave Woolwich our attack, we would be worse and they would even be better marginally. Fix our CB’s and our RWB’s and you will not only improve our defence but also our attack.

Lacks creativity. Kulu is great, Kane offers a bit but a real lack of options and when Kulu gets injured, as we've seen, we're really stodgy and reliant on set pieces. Dare i say someone like Maddison would complete it but even an Eze or Olise would be a huge improvement in depth with Moura/Gil leaving (the latter on loan hopefully)
Don’t underestimate what one or two good wing backs would add to the attacking players

Yeah I'm basing it on here and now. If Son was anywhere near top form he starts, but he isn't.

Martinelli isn't a CF .. the fact he even went to the WC when Brazil have so many great LW options is impressive.

Son's form aside, you'd take:

Mr 'no goals in 14 games' Jesus/Saka + Nketiah

over

Kane/Kulu + Richy.

"Here and now"? I sense you've still got one eye firmly fixed on the future.

Last edited:
Son aside, you'd take:

Mr 'no goals in 14 games' Jesus/Saka + Nketiah

over

Kane/Kulu + Richy.

"Here and now"? I sense you've still got one eye firmly fixed on the future.

I'd take our CF and their wide players, yes.

We have the much better CF. Aside from that I don't think it's clear, what I do think is clear is that their front 3 this season has looked MUCH more mobile, and also presses madly from the front which helps the rest of the team out. That's a front 3 which has pace, works damn hard, dribbles at opponents etc.

So yes, right now as a collective I take theirs. Even if ours has bigger names.

I'd take our CF and their wide players, yes.

We have the much better CF. Aside from that I don't think it's clear, what I do think is clear is that their front 3 this season has looked MUCH more mobile, and also presses madly from the front which helps the rest of the team out. That's a front 3 which has pace, works damn hard, dribbles at opponents etc.

So yes, right now as a collective I take theirs. Even if ours has bigger names.

I'm not going on "name" value:

Martinelli > Son (Only on current form)
Kane >>>>>>>>> Jesus
Kulu (higher ceiling IMO so he edges it for me) <> Saka
Richy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NKetiah

Back
Top Bottom