Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sprinting is NOT running around a lot.

What makes up a team that plays with intensity?

Where are your facts, John? Still not a single one posted by you, why is this?
You've posted no facts my friend. You say he's a great sprinter - that is NOT grafting.

I have told you what I and others who watch games see.

You need to stop acting like a child and just realise you made a statement of fact and that you're wrong.

You've posted no facts my friend. You say he's a great sprinter - that is NOT grafting.

I have told you what I and others who watch games see.

You need to stop acting like a child and just realise you made a statement of fact and that you're wrong.
It was you that claimed facts, not me. You claimed that your opinion was a fact. Your opinion is just that, an opinion.

When asked to support your opinion with facts you can't, which evidences just how weak your opinion is. You then double-down by saying it's because "you watch football".

I've backed up my opinion with facts and explanation.

Let's just leave it here fella, you are offering absolutely nothing to this conversation, one which you initiated. Thinking that you might have something intelligent to say I responded. Oh dear, I should have known better.

Other than an ugly arrogance you've said absolutely nothing to support your opinion and you being so thick to comprehend anything put before you is simply an utter waste of my time and no doubt the poor bastards having to trawl through this shite. See ya.

It was you that claimed facts, not me. You claimed that your opinion was a fact. Your opinion is just that, an opinion.

When asked to support your opinion with facts you can't, which evidences just how weak your opinion is. You then double-down by saying it's because "you watch football".

I've backed up my opinion with facts and explanation.

Let's just leave it here fella, you are offering absolutely nothing to this conversation, one which you initiated. Thinking that you might have something intelligent to say I responded. Oh dear, I should have known better.

Other than an ugly arrogance you've said absolutely nothing to support your opinion and you being so thick to comprehend anything put before you is simply an utter waste of my time and no doubt the poor bastards having to trawl through this shite. See ya.
You said Dele was one of the biggest grafters in the team, which is your opinion (an incorrect one). Therefore you initiated this 'discussion'.

You haven't posted a fact or a single stat. Why? Because you think sprinting is the same as grafting!!

You are wrong here, so very wrong. As usual lately.

How can you measure grafting other than distance covered and number of sprints in a game?

Dele scores high on both measures.

You can be unhappy with the tricks and flicks, fair enough, but you can’t say he doesn’t graft.

Fuck me Dele is Roy Keane now.
Is this a joke?

He sprints a lot. So Eriksen who covered 5000km a game is also one of our hardest workers?

Leave the graphs alone boys for fucks sake and watch a game. Jesus
The stats also suggest Lloris and Gaz are proper lazy cunts....sell? No sprints no marathons no tackles.....I mean what the fuck are they doing?

:mourfacepalm:

Fuck me Dele is Roy Keane now.
Is this a joke?

He sprints a lot. So Eriksen who covered 5000km a game is also one of our hardest workers?

Leave the graphs alone boys for fucks sake and watch a game. Jesus
The stats also suggest Lloris and Gaz are proper lazy cunts....sell? No sprints no marathons no tackles.....I mean what the fuck are they doing?

:mourfacepalm:
NO ONE has said "he's a Roy Keane" apart from you just now.

So please define what a "grafter" is Sammy and why not illustrate this with some intelligent context and examples.

I've spoken about sprints as a definitive measure as it's is the key metric required in pressing and counter-pressing, a key metric when analysing a teams intensity. Whilst distance covered has an importance for perhaps identifying a player that may be working hard as they are covering more ground than some (i.e a player that's covered 12km has possibly worked harder than one that's covered 9km), it doesn't attempt in any way measure level of intensity of how those KM's were covered, sprints do, which is why they are used as a metric to determine a teams intensity. It is entirely possible therefore that a player who has covered 9km but made more sprints than the fella than ran 12km can also have worked harder. I would far rather jog 12km than cover 9km made up with a series of sprints, is this not fair? If not why not?

Right now, it is widely acknowledged that Lucas is "grafting". (you may not share this but it's the majority viewpoint). This is evidenced in his tireless pressing/closing down. BUT Is he effective? I think it's fair to say that he's not (again you personally may not share that but it's fair to say the majority do). There are a whole bunch of reasons as to why this is the case but it's an entirely different debate. The same with dele, we get that you, Five and John think he's shit the 3 of you don't stop talking about it.

Right now the topic is specific it's not about if he's good or shit, it's specifically whether you think he's a grafter or not. I've detailed facts that support the opinion that he is a grafter. John couldn't so can you back up your opinion that he's not a grafter (assuming that this is your opinion). If you post arrogant shite like "because I watch football" I will not respond.

Is it possible to have an intelligent debate about this and only this? Let's see.......

So please define what a "grafter" is Sammy and why not illustrate this with some intelligent context and examples.
For me, Lamela and Moura graft, Henderson is a grafter, Milner is a grafter, Vardy is a grafter.

Players who chase lost causes, close down keepers from the halfway line, put the boot in and risk getting hurt. Players that don’t shy away from headers in the middle of the pitch and jump with their back first.

Players who try desperately to rectify their own mistakes instead of standing there flapping their arms at others.

Players who don’t need everything to be perfect before having a go.

Maybe your definition is Dele Alli. Good for you mate.

For me, Lamela and Moura graft, Henderson is a grafter, Milner is a grafter, Vardy is a grafter.

Players who chase lost causes, close down keepers from the halfway line, put the boot in and risk getting hurt. Players that don’t shy away from headers in the middle of the pitch and jump with their back first.

Players who try desperately to rectify their own mistakes instead of standing there flapping their arms at others.

Now you're talking, Sammy. He ducked out of challenging for an aerial ball near the halfway line in the 53rd minute, and within seconds, Ings had an attempt that went inches wide.

Now you're talking, Sammy. He ducked out of challenging for an aerial ball near the halfway line in the 53rd minute, and within seconds, Ings had an attempt that went inches wide.
Does every game. The only header he ever goes for is one at the far post.
Grafter my arse.
The bloke is literally Eriksen

Last edited:
There are similarities between the two, I agree. I sincerely believe he does not challenge for the ball with sufficient aggression. Afraid of getting hurt or something.
But he “runs abaaat a bit”......therefore should play every game.

People acting like a footballer running is actually some kind of phenomenon

The facts don't back up what you said. You'll no doubt keep up with this childish mantra however, he's not one of the biggest grafters in the team.

Anyone with eyes who watches our games knows that. You talk facts and stats (without having any) whilst I talk about what is actually happening and what we see.
You talk facts??

You posted a link of a randomer asking what Dele does not including "his pointless stats from years ago" .....but then ignoring his stats this season of 7 goals and 3 assists in 17 games which ranks as one of the best attacking mid stats of the whole division.

But yes you speak facts looooool, laughable.

He's one of the first names in starting lineup I can think of that should be immediately upgraded within the next 2 windows.

He's just not good enough to start for us every week if there are ambitions to build a top team that will compete for highest honors.

Right, so all very subjective, how do you go about supporting that? I ask this because you are focusing on stylistic preference, not specifically what it is that they are performing. Whilst I agree to aspects of this, it only really works if people agree with the identified player and all those that you list I agree are grafters BTW.

So, it is possible to see that their sprinting stats, support the stylistic things you like. Moura's sprints stats are in the top percentile in the league right now as to is Vardy (however Vardy's are specific in that his sprints are made up of entirely running behind, not in pressing, I don't think that should matter. Lamela isn't listed because probably due to injury and lack of mins, so would have to work his out is per game average and I can't be arsed but my gut feel would have me believe that his sprints will be high enough as his pressing is relentless.

The one player that doesn't feature in at the top end of the sprinting stats (well at least the past 4yrs) is Milner. So how would I go about support Milner's grafting qualities other than subjectively saying he gets stuck in. I'd first probably have to work on his averages bassed on mins per game as he does get subbed a fair bit (again can't be arsed to do this but would be worth a shout). He has however been consistently in the top 10% for total distance covered. As I mentioned earlier this isn't the greatest measure for a 'grafter" as someone can plod those KM's but given what we all see it might be an easy one to give the thumbs up to would it not?

You see, in the main, the stats would support what you subjectively believe and if this was Lucas's thread and I had posted Lucas's sprinting stats you might have hit the like of agree because it supported what you see.

This isn't a case of making stats fit what you want, it supports the players that you list as grafters. It's using the stats that are currently used in part to measure intensity (there are other metrics namely "passes per defensive action" PPDA which measure the effectiveness of the team's intensity but they focus on the result of the intensity e.g the other team losing the ball etc) which surely you can see is at the very essence of grafting ergo an intense team is a team that grafts.

You talk facts??

You posted a link of a randomer asking what Dele does not including "his pointless stats from years ago" .....but then ignoring his stats this season of 7 goals and 3 assists in 17 games which ranks as one of the best attacking mid stats of the whole division.

But yes you speak facts looooool, laughable.
And the stats said last season that Eriksen is better than DeBruyne

That’s why it’s better to use them with perspective rather than as an absolute truth

Back
Top Bottom