Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree. He was near perfect today, if not for a miss kick in own box in sec half. But as you said, it is his first season and has improved from his earlier games. Despite Jan and Toby's experience, they can get skinned by top speedy players when we play flat 4. If we are to continue with flat 4, Davinson's pace is so important.

What I liked about that was, he knew he'd fucked up but it didn't worry him. He didn't try to hide, just owned up and kept on playing to the high standard he was playing at before.

He's mint. I remember thinking, "why are we making a fella i've not really heard of our record signing in a position where we already have quite a few options?" The answer is obvious, hes the dogs bollocks and will only get better

He's mint. I remember thinking, "why are we making a fella i've not really heard of our record signing in a position where we already have quite a few options?" The answer is obvious, hes the dogs bollocks and will only get better

He’s a classy player. Plays like a seasoned CB and he’s still very young. He somehow combines solid and intelligent play, maverick moments of genius, and rare brain farts. He’s a weird combination of King, Berbatov, and Atouba.

He’s an example of very good scouting (or blind luck).

OK, he’s an Ajax youth product so not exactly unearthed from the marshes... but every opinion I heard about him before signing, whilst good, was that; he wasn’t ready for Prem football this season, had a lot to learn, would take time to adapt, needed to mature mentally etc. etc.

The lad has absolutely blown away my preconceptions of what a young, foreign CB can hope to achieve coming into the PL in the short term.

He’s an example of very good scouting (or blind luck).

OK, he’s an Ajax youth product so not exactly unearthed from the marshes... but every opinion I heard about him before signing, whilst good, was that; he wasn’t ready for Prem football this season, had a lot to learn, would take time to adapt, needed to mature mentally etc. etc.

The lad has absolutely blown away my preconceptions of what a young, foreign CB can hope to achieve coming into the PL in the short term.

To be fair, he wasn't an Ajax youth product. He was only signed by them last season. The most incredible thing about him for me is that before signing for us he had ONE year of European football and that was in a league we signed Vincent Janssen from.

He hasn't let that or the £40,000,000+ fee faze him and he's gone out there and dominated at the back. He is our most consistent player against the big clubs. Chelsea away, Liverpool at home and away, Madrid at home and away, Juventus, Man Utd at home.

Didn't play against Chelsea at home (Wasn't signed) and we lost 2-1.
Didn't play against Man Utd away and we lost 1-0.
Didn't play against Man City away and we lost 4-1.

And he's only 21!!

Last edited:
Mm, I agree with the sentiment in here that we have added quality CB to our ranks. And for 1st season in English football and 2nd season in Europe he has done remarkably well!

But I also feel that we need to talk about an elephant in the room - within last 2 games we have conceded 2 goals from the co-operation on Sanchez and Lloris. Against Chelsea they both went for the ball, both missed it and Morata put it into the net. Saturday Stoke put the ball through from midfield to Diouf who was in identical starting position with Sanchez yet the Columbian somehow left his side and let him totally for Lloris (who, I reckon made total blunder out of this one) and when the GK failed he was nowhere near to even try to avoid him scoring.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that he is shit or bad or whatever. And I admit that in both situation at least as much guilt was on Lloris, but I really hope Poch can sort out this thing. I am not sure, but maybe their communication and understanding is not "in sync" yet?

Mm, I agree with the sentiment in here that we have added quality CB to our ranks. And for 1st season in English football and 2nd season in Europe he has done remarkably well!

But I also feel that we need to talk about an elephant in the room - within last 2 games we have conceded 2 goals from the co-operation on Sanchez and Lloris. Against Chelsea they both went for the ball, both missed it and Morata put it into the net. Saturday Stoke put the ball through from midfield to Diouf who was in identical starting position with Sanchez yet the Columbian somehow left his side and let him totally for Lloris (who, I reckon made total blunder out of this one) and when the GK failed he was nowhere near to even try to avoid him scoring.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that he is shit or bad or whatever. And I admit that in both situation at least as much guilt was on Lloris, but I really hope Poch can sort out this thing. I am not sure, but maybe their communication and understanding is not "in sync" yet?
Sanchez came here speaking almost no English. The more he plays and the better he gets at English the more those mistakes will go away

We play a very high-line, this is a risk but a very well calculated one. The way to score against us is to play a ball through the high-line or over it, in fact outside of set pieces for the oppo this is basically the ONLY way to score against us, the other variation to this is a ball out wide and behind our FB's. The risk element is once in a while the oppo will score a goal as a consequence of it but the vast majority of the time it means the oppo have conceded possession and we have control yet again.

Think as to Llroris's reputation "the sweeper keeper" I think in all the years he's been with us I've only seen him fuck up no more than 3 times now. With Sanchez we play an even higher line than we do with Alderwierld, because of his pace. Now just think how many times you see both of these players deal with this situation this season, it must be at least 10 times per game (complete guess) so that's 32 League games + 16(?) cup games = 48 games, which means maybe 480 times this season we have faced this scenario, how many goals have the oppo score as a result of it? 3, 4?

Not worth the oxygen to discuss it.

We play a very high-line, this is a risk but a very well calculated one. The way to score against us is to play a ball through the high-line or over it, in fact outside of set pieces for the oppo this is basically the ONLY way to score against us, the other variation to this is a ball out wide and behind our FB's. The risk element is once in a while the oppo will score a goal as a consequence of it but the vast majority of the time it means the oppo have conceded possession and we have control yet again.

Think as to Llroris's reputation "the sweeper keeper" I think in all the years he's been with us I've only seen him fuck up no more than 3 times now. With Sanchez we play an even higher line than we do with Alderwierld, because of his pace. Now just think how many times you see both of these players deal with this situation this season, it must be at least 10 times per game (complete guess) so that's 32 League games + 16(?) cup games = 48 games, which means maybe 480 times this season we have faced this scenario, how many goals have the oppo score as a result of it? 3, 4?

Not worth the oxygen to discuss it.

Ofc, I agree that both of them have had good seasons.
Just somehow poked my eye that it happened twice in two games. With Verts it has not happened in such fashion with all those chances either.

In that sense ofc it is quite an ungrateful job to be a defender - you do right 9 times out of 10, but fail in 10th and people point out this 1 time :D ...

Ofc, I agree that both of them have had good seasons.
Just somehow poked my eye that it happened twice in two games. With Verts it has not happened in such fashion with all those chances either.

In that sense ofc it is quite an ungrateful job to be a defender - you do right 9 times out of 10, but fail in 10th and people point out this 1 time :D ...
Also, these situations will be limited scenario's for Vertonghen too, as no matter where the oppo ball is played against our high-line it's Sanchez's job/role to cover it. So on the odd occasion when the oppo gain success by it, it's highly likely that an error will be down to Sanchez/Lloris combination.

Last edited:
His positioning has been at fault for a few goals this season - but the fact he's 21 and never played in this country before, I won't lose too much sleep over it. Luckily, the goals he's cost us HAVEN'T lost us too many points - over the next few years, you'll start to see his leadership qualities come through and the errors ironed out.

Back
Top Bottom