Davinson Sanchez

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought he was at fault for the goal, not saying it was all on him but at least part of it.

He sees Antonio and points him out to Toby and passes him on, fair enough.

Then as Toby is tracking Antonio, Toby has to drop deeper to track his run, Antonio then drops off of Toby and the ball is played to him.

Sanchez can see all this unfold in front of him and does nothing, as a CB you have to be alive to any danger and at least try to cover it.
The ONLY danger in that attack was Antonio, he should of been closer to Toby.

Sanchez stops running when he should of been at least level with Toby, to cover any such eventuality.

Apart from that I though he was outstanding.

Think he needs to be played more in a normal back four as one of two center backs. His defending on Antonio to stop him making it 2-0 was outstanding work but it was reactionary. I think playing three CBs causes is more of a hindrance at times - yes it allows us to play an extra attacker but we always seem more susceptible going the other way. Three at the back worked a charm in 2016/17 but not so much since.

And Toby is not up with Jan.

The difference is Sanchez should have his best years in front of him. Toby's are gone.

Very true I remember people always used to think it was Toby who made Jan look good. Always said it was the other way and it's been shown with how well Sanchez did with partnered with Jan compared to when he's with Toby.

Very true I remember people always used to think it was Toby who made Jan look good. Always said it was the other way and it's been shown with how well Sanchez did with partnered with Jan compared to when he's with Toby.

I think Toby's arrival brought about a renewed focus in Jan whereupon he's become the defensive leader that until then had evaded him/us.

Since then, Toby, Wimmer, Fazio and now Dav all seem(ed) to play at a higher level alongside him.

I think Toby's arrival brought about a renewed focus in Jan whereupon he's become the defensive leader that until then had evaded him/us.

Since then, Toby, Wimmer, Fazio and now Dav all seem(ed) to play at a higher level alongside him.
And there's the big problem. Forget about Toby, we need someone very, very special to replace Jan. Hopefully, De Ligt hates life in Barcelona and wants out within a season to go to North London. Sadly, I doubt it though.

And there's the big problem. Forget about Toby, we need someone very, very special to replace Jan. Hopefully, De Ligt hates life in Barcelona and wants out within a season to go to North London. Sadly, I doubt it though.

In time, absolutely. Rest assured 'life' doesn't begin and end with DeLigt tho'.

Deal extention for Jan asap please, Mr Chairman.

As for Toby, I hope he get's his head around staying, but am comfortable that one of JF or DS will develop into a natural successor, but yes a left-pegger coming through the ranks would be most welcome.

In time, absolutely. Rest assured 'life' doesn't begin and end with DeLigt tho'.

Deal extention for Jan asap please, Mr Chairman.

As for Toby, I hope he get's his head around staying, but am comfortable that one of JF or DS will develop into a natural successor, but yes a left-pegger coming through the ranks would be most welcome.
I'll be honest, I think one of two things has happened Toby and he's struggling with one or both.

1) Poch has changed the way he wants his CHs to defend and Toby isn't comfortable with it
2) The injury from last season has had a lasting impact on him and he's adapted his game to compensate. At times he looks like Toby before the injury, other times he looks a shadow of himself pre injury.

This summer will tell us a lot and I wouldn't be surprised to see Toby still at Spurs next year.

I would hope that a young, talented all round "diamond in the rough" defender is on our radar.

I'll be honest, I think one of two things has happened Toby and he's struggling with one or both.

1) Poch has changed the way he wants his CHs to defend and Toby isn't comfortable with it
2) The injury from last season has had a lasting impact on him and he's adapted his game to compensate. At times he looks like Toby before the injury, other times he looks a shadow of himself pre injury.

This summer will tell us a lot and I wouldn't be surprised to see Toby still at Spurs next year.

I would hope that a young, talented all round "diamond in the rough" defender is on our radar.

Hadn't really considered that to any significant degree (probably old-skool in my thinking that 'the role is the role'), but I find it hard to judge the individual performances of our back line this season as line-up wise it's been a merry-go-round all season (a settled back line is massive!) + they no doubt won't have been helped by similar circumstances playing out ahead of them in the CM roles either (esp. noting the crap diamond system)... These considerations could equally be extended to Sanchez if we've being even-handed.

Agreed in general about Toby's eratic performance levels this season.

Feels like the summer ought to be a much needed palate-cleanser after a real fucked-up season all across the squad. Tbh, as much as any trf business; I eagerly anticipate an overall re-evaluation of squad/tactics etc. I.e. Who have we got, what shape are they in and how can they best serve us, if at all. Said in another thread yesterday, but it feels like our playing identity has got lost somewhere along the way - Hopefully this is mainly a bi-product of mass injury problems we've had. I'm not calling for a mass-overhaul; but if that's what's deemed required, so be it....

Hadn't really considered that to any significant degree (probably old-skool in my thinking that 'the role is the role'), but I find it hard to judge the individual performances of our back line this season as line-up wise it's been a merry-go-round all season (a settled back line is massive!) + they no doubt won't have been helped by similar circumstances playing out ahead of them in the CM roles either (esp. noting the crap diamond system)... These considerations could equally be extended to Sanchez if we've being even-handed.

Agreed in general about Toby's eratic performance levels this season.

Feels like the summer ought to be a much needed palate-cleanser after a real fucked-up season all across the squad. Tbh, as much as any trf business; I eagerly anticipate an overall re-evaluation of squad/tactics etc. I.e. Who have we got, what shape are they in and how can they best serve us, if at all. Said in another thread yesterday, but it feels like our playing identity has got lost somewhere along the way - Hopefully this is mainly a bi-product of mass injury problems we've had. I'm not calling for a mass-overhaul; but if that's what's deemed required, so be it....
Toby has developed a lovely knack of being behind the defensive line recently. Two examples was nearly playing Aguero onside and yesterday being 5 yards behind the defensive line for Spam's goal. This alongside his poor jumping ability and his unwillingness to throw his body in the way of shots remind me of someone who is worried about injury.

I think an overhaul is needed, if for no other reason than to provide more challenge for players who look to be playing within themselves and to get back to playing a non-diamond formation. But certainly there are more players who have regressed this season than progressed. The fact we have done so well is tribute to a great mentality and attitude. But it needs complimented by talent too.

Toby has developed a lovely knack of being behind the defensive line recently. Two examples was nearly playing Aguero onside and yesterday being 5 yards behind the defensive line for Spam's goal. This alongside his poor jumping ability and his unwillingness to throw his body in the way of shots remind me of someone who is worried about injury.

I think an overhaul is needed, if for no other reason than to provide more challenge for players who look to be playing within themselves and to get back to playing a (1) non-diamond formation. But certainly (2) there are more players who have regressed this season than progressed. (3) The fact we have done so well is tribute to a great mentality and attitude. But it needs complimented by talent too.

1) Fuck yes.... No more diamond!
2) I guess that's what I allude, to... I think think it's hard to truly assess from our perspective; the reality of some circumstances could likely suprise us.
3) Depends who you speak to I guess; seen our mentality and attitude questioned a great deal of times this season; in which case maybe it's the talent levels and/or individual ability getting us over the line...? As per #2, I guess we gotta trust the gaffa and his inner circle to brainstorm and reach the correct conclusions over the players on an individual and strategic basis in the summer.

There is something very 'Everton' about him and it's worrying, certainly needs to improve next season.

I really worry that the English game is too fast for him. I really like big Dav but he needs to improve in many ways, especially his ability to not wander after the ball with his eyes. He's young and he'll get there but a year where I hoped he'd really kick on has seen him stand still. He has time though, just needs to keep adding and improving.

He's got this Walker like propensity for brain farts that are going to bite us in the arse at some stage. Last night it was the square "pass" to Toby that almost gifted them a crucial 2nd. His ball control and passing are a serious issue now. Against Huddersfield, his first 4 touches of the ball were crap. Utter shite. But because it was Huddersfield, he got away with every one. I know how I'd play against Spurs - let Lloris have the time to play it short, and if ever it goes to DS then rush him. I gather that's how Mourinho played in the final 2 years ago? (I read this, havent seen any of the game).

Poch, you need to work some magic with this one because this season he looks like a £40m dud.

I really worry that the English game is too fast for him. I really like big Dav but he needs to improve in many ways, especially his ability to not wander after the ball with his eyes. He's young and he'll get there but a year where I hoped he'd really kick on has seen him stand still. He has time though, just needs to keep adding and improving.

I hoped he'd kick on, it was a good season. This season he's gone backwards.

Back
Top Bottom