Dane Scarlett

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So why did he go out on loan? Had it already been arranged by the time Ange could have a say in it?

Loans are to get experience - hopefully playing 90 minutes of mens football

Staying at PL club = access to better coaches and training BUT likely going to be rare to play 90 minutes with usually minutes off the bench only. Still beneficial to development though. And who knows, Ange may decide to keep him with squad.

So back in August loan route looked attractive, now its not !

Last edited:
Loans are to get experience - hopefully playing 90 minutes of mens football

Staying at PL club = access to better coaches and training BUT likely going to be rare to play 80 minutes with usually minutes off yhe bench only. Still beneficial to development though. And who knows, Ange may decide to keep him with squad.

So back in August loan route looked attractive, now its not !
A loan was defo the right option, just got send to slightly above the level he needed for consistent minutes

So why did he go out on loan? Had it already been arranged by the time Ange could have a say in it?

My guess is that he was expecting that he would get a similar amount of minutes to Veliz (maybe a but more) and he'd be better off on loan playing.

Playing in Carabao doesn't mean Ange sees him as ready yet imo but it does mean he could get on the pitch vs Burnley and if he takes his chance like Veliz did against Brighton then who knows whilst Son is away. Football can be strange.

30 August 2023

On Scarlett, Postecoglou said: "Yeah I thought he was bright when he came on. He has been really good for us in training, he's working really hard. Look, I'll sit down with Dane over the next couple of days and sort of chart a way forward for him. I really think he's definitely got a future at our club and I really like his attributes as a striker.

"It's always a balance with young players, will they get enough game time because for him the next stage of development is to play. He played a fair few games last year and I think he's improved as a player since then.

"I'll make that decision over the next couple of days and sit down with him, but I certainly see him as a Tottenham player and a lot of that will depend on what else happens over the next two or three days."

30 August 2023

On Scarlett, Postecoglou said: "Yeah I thought he was bright when he came on. He has been really good for us in training, he's working really hard. Look, I'll sit down with Dane over the next couple of days and sort of chart a way forward for him. I really think he's definitely got a future at our club and I really like his attributes as a striker.

"It's always a balance with young players, will they get enough game time because for him the next stage of development is to play. He played a fair few games last year and I think he's improved as a player since then.

"I'll make that decision over the next couple of days and sit down with him, but I certainly see him as a Tottenham player and a lot of that will depend on what else happens over the next two or three days."

All the Ange quotes on Dane are very positive and he does have that pace and finishing style that would suit an Ange striker. Jose was convinced he had a big future too. Gave him is debut and made a big fuss.

If he somehow ends up playing and scoring some goals in the premier league, then Ipswich don't get promoted, they could end up looking a bit silly.

My guess is that he was expecting that he would get a similar amount of minutes to Veliz (maybe a but more) and he'd be better off on loan playing.

Playing in Carabao doesn't mean Ange sees him as ready yet imo but it does mean he could get on the pitch vs Burnley and if he takes his chance like Veliz did against Brighton then who knows whilst Son is away. Football can be strange.
I didn’t realise he was so young. Younger than Veliz. If Ange is enthused about him then that’s usually a good sign.

All the Ange quotes on Dane are very positive and he does have that pace and finishing style that would suit an Ange striker. Jose was convinced he had a big future too. Gave him is debut and made a big fuss.

If he somehow ends up playing and scoring some goals in the premier league, then Ipswich don't get promoted, they could end up looking a bit silly.
A bit like errr...Leicester? :rolleyes:

Former Spurs player Massimo Luongo is running that Ipswich midfield. Even retired from international football a few weeks ago so he could keep doing it.

I didn’t realise he was so young. Younger than Veliz. If Ange is enthused about him then that’s usually a good sign.

Scarlett is aged 19, only 20 in March, so yes he's young, but has already had a L1 loan last season when aged 18 where he got 1,717 playing minutes in 34 appearances (19 starts and 15 off the bench) scoring 4 goals and getting 2 assists.

This season, Ipswich who were in L1 last season, have exceeded expectation in getting to promotion places in Championship with very few injuries, so Scarlett has not been able to nail down a starting position, although making 12 appearances - so its bad luck for him this season, another choice of Championship club and he would have probably played more.

So by coming back to Spurs he'll probably play as much as he did at Ipswich but at PL level with better coaching. And with Veliz out he will get his minutes.

As a comparison, Devine who is about 5 months younger, but again an excellent prospect is out on his first loan at just 19, with L1 Port Vale and may well get slightly more playing time than Dane did last season, and again in summer Ange will likely sit down with him to discuss options of a Championship loan versus staying with PL side with much fewer minutes.

Loans are a bit of a lottery - sometimes do not work out despite the quality of the youngster, but if they do work out its invaluable experience.

Kane was on loan at Leicester and hardly used.
Leicester fans called him a "Shit Jamie Vardy" when he played for us against them

Sort of

Kane and Vardy were mostly kept on Leicester's bench whilst the manager played his favourite striker. No surprise manager moved on later with Vardy then being allowed to score for fun to Leicester with Kane being returned to his parent club early - not sure what came of him ?

With Dane Scarlett after that difficult loan, is he someone you have to put an arm around, give him a reset, how does it work with him?

It works that he’s back with us, he trains every day, he’s got an opportunity to show what he can do. That’s the life of a footballer. There’s no point… he went to Ipswich to play, he didn’t for whatever reason. He’s got to take some responsibility for that. It didn’t work out but he’s back here now, training with us and like all the other young players, they are before me every day and can put a compelling case to play.

With Veliz out for 6-8 weeks, Son away for a month, and Richie our only genuine attacking option, Scarlett will definitely get to fulfil that role of Attacking sub option... he'd be a fool not to take the opportunity with both hands feet! (he'll get sent off and banned for grasping it with both hands, obviously!!)

Have a sneaky feeling Ange will give him 30min v Burnley and he scores.
I wouldn't rule out a 15-20 minute cameo (and a goal) tomorrow night!!

As I said before - I hope he could get a chance to play.

But 15-30 minutes :O ? Why do you guys think he should get so much more time than Veliz for example?

If he would get like last 5-7 minutes + anything that is added on... then it would be much more in line how Ange has tried to ease in Veliz and Donley in my view.

No that I would have anything him getting more minutes, specially if scoreline allows.

As I said before - I hope he could get a chance to play.

But 15-30 minutes :O ? Why do you guys think he should get so much more time than Veliz for example?

If he would get like last 5-7 minutes + anything that is added on... then it would be much more in line how Ange has tried to ease in Veliz and Donley in my view.

No that I would have anything him getting more minutes, specially if scoreline allows.
These are all our available players for Burnley (maybe VDV could be added??)

1st Team2ND TEAMU 21
VICARIOFORSTER
PORRO
UDOGIE
ROYALDIER
DAVIESPHILLIPSSANTIAGO
BENTACURSKIPPDONLEY
GLCHOJBJERGDORRINGTON
JOHNSON
KULUSEVSKI
GILScarlett
RICHARLISON

I'd say there is a good chance Scarlett will get a good runout.

Back
Top Bottom