Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I don't like the way he dwells on the ball waiting for the opposition to close him down because it too often puts the receiving team mate under pressure when he does release the ball. His temperament is also hot and cold, and that can cost cautions and goals.
I've noticed a few players dwell on the ball when they're being closed down. To me it looks like a tactic to win fouls/bookings and play through the press.

I've noticed a few players dwell on the ball when they're being closed down. To me it looks like a tactic to win fouls/bookings and play through the press.

View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/VWcqgj3G51A?si=V0Mq8kvBWC6_9P-G

I think so - to invite the press and create space to play through. The video above does well in explaining this tactic.

More than a few heart-in-mouth moments as the players get used to it, but I admire Ange's commitment to encouraging bravery.

For me I wasn't that bothered by the decision. Sure it's unavoidable, but it's also a hand/arm directly in the way of an on-target shot with nothing else between it and net, something like say, other body parts like chest, leg, etc.
I see your point. One of the unique qualities of the game is to not have hands or arms interfere with the ball. There’s a grey area about intent for me, though, and I dont see it being intentional at all in this case

I see your point. One of the unique qualities of the game is to not have hands or arms interfere with the ball. There’s a grey area about intent for me, though, and I dont see it being intentional at all in this case

the Laws of Penalty has changed. It is making yourself 'larger' nothing about Intent or ball-2-hand anymore,

View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/VWcqgj3G51A?si=V0Mq8kvBWC6_9P-G

I think so - to invite the press and create space to play through. The video above does well in explaining this tactic.

More than a few heart-in-mouth moments as the players get used to it, but I admire Ange's commitment to encouraging bravery.

yes it creates space and their players move out of position, but then the ball must move quickly, and that is the part we don't do well, many of our players run with the ball, but the ball goes quicker with a pass than running with it

We can't all agree on everything. :)

Fact it he was involved heavily in both their goals, scrappy or not.
There was also two times when he lost in in a dangerous place from playing from the back.

VDV didn't and performed much better.

Didn’t see him lose it once in a dangerous position.

Do agree that VDV had a better game. The big man was imperious back there.

yes it creates space and their players move out of position, but then the ball must move quickly, and that is the part we don't do well, many of our players run with the ball, but the ball goes quicker with a pass than running with it
I think we’re still partly getting used to the Ange system . When it’s being played with more instinct, players will pull the trigger a bit faster

Well... I think the truth is somewhere in between... as it mostly is.

I mean... it is not question if he was the cause of two goals or not. Cause he was. That is a solid fact - he guided one ball into own net (which was not attempted goal line clearance while sprinting back either) and penalty was given for his handball (can be argued, if it should have been given, but defender should not even give ref that decision). However you put it, you cannot dance around the solid facts. Like really-really-really top defenders have to be able to avoid situations that can gift opposite teams goals. In fact he was just 11th player EVER in the EPL that scored an own goal and gave away a penalty in the same game. Strikers are evaluated by the chances where they score and defenders judged by the mistakes that lead to goals. Unfortunate truth.

But that being told, he did not have awful game overall. Apart from those two moments he helped to clear many situations and still managed to inject the side with some assurance / calmness. Also enjoyed his shithousery when he went through scum shit like there was no one even there. We could absolutely use some more of that. As we could use some more of his passing ability - he played the most passes for us with 74 and did it with 3rd biggest accuracy of 93,2%. He also played 2 accurate long balls (out of 3) and managed to play one through ball. Despite his errors he made 6 clearences which was by far best figure on our side. Stats by WhoScored.com....

So, while his actions led to scum goals, he did not have a shit game overall I would say.

I think we’re still partly getting used to the Ange system . When it’s being played with more instinct, players will pull the trigger a bit faster
Totally agree , Ange is slowly coaching some of these players who have had negative tactics imposed on them for a few seasons .

It all takes time but you can see things clearly improving , the way we play out from the back now is like night and day from last season

I thought he was excellent tbh and part of the reason we completely, for the most part, shut them out.

Won everything in the air and some of his passing to break through the lines were exquisite.

Own goal is unlucky. And on another day, the penalty isn't given.

Last edited:
Totally agree , Ange is slowly coaching some of these players who have had negative tactics imposed on them for a few seasons .

It all takes time but you can see things clearly improving , the way we play out from the back now is like night and day from last season
We should be humming by the City game in early December, which is a tasty prospect. Hopefully no more injuries and we get the likes of Bentancor back for more depth.

It's not, by any stretch of the imagination, but it does stop a goal bound shot, so it's a pen IMO. Put it this way, if it was the other way round and not given, we'd be doing our nut about it.

I thought he was excellent tbh and part of the reason we completely, for the most part, shut them out.

Won everything in the air and some of his passing to break through the lines were exquisite.

Agree. Was one of the best players on the pitch. Perhaps minor error re the OG, but we don't know whether there were shouts etc, and no CB gets everything right ffs.

That one pass for Madison was fantastic, if son was at the end of that it would have been a goal.

Back
Top Bottom