Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But they also didn't deem it worthy of a red. Which you seem to think it was...

So what is it? Youre right or the refs are right?
I said it could've easily been a red, but obviously it's up to the refs. He got lucky once, he didn't get lucky twice.

VAR can't give yellows. They decide to give him some slack, and he went on in his attempts to get himself sent off.

They don’t give slack. Or at least they shouldn’t.

They decided it wasn’t violent conduct or a red card offence.

That’s not giving slack, thats making the right decision.

Which they then binned any credit earned by that decision with a nonsense red card for a good clearance.

Better and winning things aren’t the same.

Ledley is one of my favourite Spurs players ever but very different to Romero. You seriously want Romero to completely change who he is?

Romero was exactly the same person in a World Cup final. It’s who he is.

Also happens to be at trait shared by a lot of the most successful defenders in history.

I think Ledley was better than plenty of them.
tbf though, the rules have changed. Yes, the interpretation of this is too inconsistent, and they arguably change too often, but the fact is the rules are now stricter on what is a permissible tackle.

When Romero doesn't get sent off, he's almost always great for us. But his style of play under the current rules is going result in quite a few reds, and that's a problem. He plays with an edge, great, but it's an edge that will cost us a few games, and lead to him missing quite a few through suspension

All that said, to me it's worth it. He's a great player.

Last edited:
tbf though, the rules have changed. Yes, the interpretation of this is too inconsistent, and they arguably change too often, but the fact is the rules are now stricter on what is a permissible tackle.

When Romero doesn't get sent off, he's almost always great for us. But his style of play under the current rules is going result in quite a few reds, and that's a problem. He plays with an edge, great, but it's an edge that will cost us a few games, and lead to him missing quite a few through suspension

His skill is not the question... its his damn head.
So he better adjust to the new game. The ones that never change are the ones left behind to rot.

Yeah but it wasn't even a tackle or a challenge.

He was clearing the ball.

People just see the studs in the ankle and think RED.

If it was a different player taking a shot and the follow through went into a player's shin would it be a foul or a red?

I've even seen fouls and penalties given the other way when an attacker follows through into a defender.

It makes ZERO sense for that to be red and penalty OTHER than to satisfy a narrative because of Curtis Jones' bad tackle on Bissouma.

The more I see it, the more times I think about it, the less I think it's even close to a red.

Yeah but it wasn't even a tackle or a challenge.

He was clearing the ball.

People just see the studs in the ankle and think RED.

If it was a different player taking a shot and the follow through went into a player's shin would it be a foul or a red?

I've even seen fouls and penalties given the other way when an attacker follows through into a defender.

It makes ZERO sense for that to be red and penalty OTHER than to satisfy a narrative because of Curtis Jones' bad tackle on Bissouma.

The more I see it, the more times I think about it, the less I think it's even close to a red.
Let me get this straight. You believe that the VAR and refs thought process was - this is not a red card, but I distinctly recall another red card in a game I didn't referee, and thus I need to satisfy the narrative that these types of tackles are red cards.

Bearing in mind Michael Oliver has refereed over 400 games, you think in the Chaos of that game against Chelsea, this was their logic?

Let me get this straight. You believe that the VAR and refs thought process was - this is not a red card, but I distinctly recall another red card in a game I didn't referee, and thus I need to satisfy the narrative that these types of tackles are red cards.

Bearing in mind Michael Oliver has refereed over 400 games, you think in the Chaos of that game against Chelsea, this was their logic?

No.

I think the conditions of a red card challenge or tackle are studs up.

They saw studs up and subconsciously remembered all the heat they all took from the LiVARpool game and felt it hit the criteria and they had to send Michael Oliver to the monitor to look at the studs up making contact.

Once Oliver goes to the monitor he's never going against the VAR. Never seen it once.

Oliver is an official with a less than great reputation btw.

Not once did any of them think to discuss if it was even a tackle or challenge, or even if he had any ability to make the clearance without following through.

They were very limited in their decision-making process and made a shit decision.

Edit: You also refuse to believe the red not given to Guimaraes vs woolwich didn't come into their thinking when they decided to let Reece James' blatant red card elbow go unpunished. Even Gary Neville thought James got lucky.

No.

I think the conditions of a red card challenge or tackle are studs up.

They saw studs up and subconsciously remembered all the heat they all took from the LiVARpool game and felt it hit the criteria and they had to send Michael Oliver to the monitor to look at the studs up making contact.

Once Oliver goes to the monitor he's never going against the VAR. Never seen it once.

Oliver is an official with a less than great reputation btw.

Not once did any of them think to discuss if it was even a tackle or challenge, or even if he had any ability to make the clearance without following through.

They were very limited in their decision-making process and made a shit decision.

Edit: You also refuse to believe the red not given to Guimaraes vs woolwich didn't come into their thinking when they decided to let Reece James' blatant red card elbow go unpunished. Even Gary Neville thought James got lucky.
I can imagine some refs may reflect quickly on their 'own' decisions they may have made recently. But to think every ref is constantly thinking of decisions made in other games is, imo, a tad nuts.

I'd argue this isn't a challenge. He's stretched his leg across to shield the ball, however ended up standing on his ankle. Seems soft as a red. I feel like these things are 50/50 on red or yellow depending on the ref.

You could argue it's not a challenge but you'd be talking out of your arse.

He's shielding the ball from a player challenging to get the ball.

This is the perfect example of new information that could help you to understand something in a different way. Up to you if you want to take on that new info.

You could argue it's not a challenge but you'd be talking out of your arse.

He's shielding the ball from a player challenging to get the ball.

This is the perfect example of new information that could help you to understand something in a different way. Up to you if you want to take on that new info.
You repeated what I said was correct, then said I was wrong. Which is it? I said it was him shielding the ball not a challenge/tackle as stated previously. Make your mind up. Are you bi polar? You are all over the shop.

Romero could've easy gotten two reds last night and people here are defending him. Most protected player in the team.

Nah, only 1 - first one wasn't enough, even though we've seen them given, 2nd one though I think was a culmination of the 1st and the 2nd because at that point he was acting reckless.

Its 'a grey zone red card tackle but I think Romero became a victim of his own borderline play style. One can clearly see that once he makes contact with the ball and realises where his foot is going he pulls back his foot rather than follow thru and Enzo isn't injured at all. His red card was a result of the compounded effect of his previous reputation plus an already rash tackle made in the Chelski game.
Thus said, he did "cost" Spurs 2 goals vs Woolwich and he cost Spurs vs Milan last year in the CL.
He no doubt is a world class defender when he's "switched on" but he is rash and refs knows this now so his tough and rash style will always be a big risk factor.
Teams like Real M. can afford to have players sent off regularly, like Sergio Ramos, but Spurs can't. So if Real M. or Bayern M bid, say, £90m+ for him and if Spurs had quality replacement already lined up (António Silva or de Ligt) I might consider selling Romero.

Back
Top Bottom