Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The replies to this thread are perfect evidence to how much grey area there is in this law and how open it is to subjective interpretation.

When it all boils down you are left with “it’s excessive force because I say it is”.

Some agree some don’t and we get divisive controversy.

None of us can claim to have an objectively correct opinion.

Not even handball and off side can be objectively correct anymore.

The replies to this thread are perfect evidence to how much grey area there is in this law and how open it is to subjective interpretation.

When it all boils down you are left with “it’s excessive force because I say it is”.

Some agree some don’t and we get divisive controversy.

None of us can claim to have an objectively correct opinion.

Not even handball and off side can be objectively correct anymore.
Watching the match live (on TV) I was genuinely shocked when the ref pulled out the red card. I remember thinking during the VAR replays: 'that's borderline foul (and therefore pen) but he clearly got a big touch of the ball first'. So I foolishly expected we would get benefit of the doubt and VAR decides to play on with no pen given.

I can accept dodgy reffing decisions because they're human and the game is faster than ever nowadays. Usually they even out during the entire season (LiVARpool, Woolwich, and previously Munted and Chavs are the exceptions). What I can't accept is the precedent we're setting with these types of VAR calls. It will ruin the beautiful game in same way Rugby Union is now a shitshow of a spectacle.

Rant over

I just disagree. I've watched is so many times now, he goes in with his side foot, attempts to clear the ball, gets there first but the ricochet of the tackle brings Romero's foot up.

You're taught to not pull out of 50-50 tackles because you can get injured, it just looks bad because Fernandez pulls out

It's the exact kind of firm last ditch challenge I'd expect from a centre back in his own box

How else could he have gone into that challenge that would've satisfied people? He plays the ball
totally agree with all of that

4 red cards in 70 odd games for Spurs is not good enough.

I don't give a fuck how great the guy is when he is on the park, he is a reckless clown far too often to be viable. I am not sure he can be trusted and I worry every time he goes into a challenge.

And people can make all the excuses they like about the tackle that got him sent off, the fact is that he should have been sent for an early shower for lashing out earlier in the game.

The guy is a loose cannon, and for all of his talent he is becoming a liability.
Liability?? Been consistently excellent for the 10 league games previously and Monday’s tackle for me is a good one. We all have our opinions on players and you obviously are not a fan

Liability?? Been consistently excellent for the 10 league games previously and Monday’s tackle for me is a good one. We all have our opinions on players and you obviously are not a fan

Fortunately the majority of Spurs fans can see what we have with Romero.

Have to learn from the lessons of Dele and support the player to be the player they are.

Romero has been great this season and will only get better. Even these borderline reds will naturally be reduced over time. You’ll never fully get Romero at his best without the odd one.

Romero could've easy gotten two reds last night and people here are defending him. Most protected player in the team.

Tapping someone's leg is not a red. Unnecessary but not a red.

Unless of course you thought Sarr should also have been sent off for putting his hands on Colwills throat?

You are upset about Spurs fans defending a Spurs player.

Think about that for a second.
Defending him from what, criticism? Do you think no players should be criticised, or just not certain players? When you act like a moron on the pitch and let your team down, you should be criticised, and hopefully then improve in the future.
Unless of course you thought Sarr should also have been sent off for putting his hands on Colwills throat?

Fucking kidding me on ? Two reds🤣🤣🤣
I’ll stick to defending a guy who does his job and doesn’t shit out of defending for his team.
He could've very easily gotten a red for that. Son got a red for "tapping someone".

He could've very easily gotten a red for that. Son got a red for "tapping someone".

That doesn't really make it right though.

Romeros "kick out" at Colwill was most definitely not a red. It was petty and unnecessary, but its not a red.

Come on, let's not ruin the game of football even further.

Defending him from what, criticism? Do you think no players should be criticised, or just not certain players? When you act like a moron on the pitch and let your team down, you should be criticised, and hopefully then improve in the future.

As per the the last post you quoted.

Defending him for doing his job and clearing the ball.

Not going to defend him for the kick out but the red and then character narrative being built afterwards I’m 100% defending him for.

Because I’m a Spurs fan and he plays for Spurs.

That doesn't really make it right though.

Romeros "kick out" at Colwill was most definitely not a red. It was petty and unnecessary, but its not a red.

Come on, let's not ruin the game of football even further.
Whether it's a red or not is completely up to the refs. Absolutely no need to take that risk.

The guy is a bit of a lunatic and that's probably not gonna change much. Cracking centre-back on his day, but he will also cost you a handful of games a season.

Overall glad to have him in the XI, but he's far from flawless. His partner Van de Ven has got a much higher ceiling imo.

Back
Top Bottom