Conditioning Team Out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We did travel mid-week and essentially only had one full day to recover

Having said that - I think our biggest issue this season is our defence - we went from having the best back 4 to an assembly of average clowns with poor decision making. Until we sort out a consistent back 4 which doesn’t rotate every week - little would change, imv

What happens? And can it be remedied?

It can be remedied, but how long that takes depends how bad it is. The best female cross country skier of all time Marit Bjørgen got severely overtrained in 2005 and experienced significantly reduced performances for the three seasons 2006-2009 before dominating the sport again 2010-18.

For what happens google "overtraining" - but most of what you find will only be about short term consequences and strategies. If you keep pushing the boundaries with already overtrained individuals you get a non-performing, depressed and frequently sick and injured athlete who longs for the day he can quit sport.
Sounds like Tottenham Hotspur.

Seeing as Jesus Perez' background is in fitness, how could they be this stupid?

To be fair it's worked brilliantly, but they have never been in a 5year+ cycle, have they? Who knows why the squad wasn't cycled enough to avert this, but if you are left with a fatigue (residue) riddled squad, then you play the hand you have, not doing so on £8M a year is bizarre to say the least.

Not sure, but I suspect they know what it does, but can't reshape themselves and adapt. It's soo sad, as I loved Poch, but since February he/they have lost it (it was the break before Burnley I am certain, when he pushed them collectively too far, not won away since, no collective crowd qi to pull them through).

Madness, isn't it?

What the earlier posted said about Rose got me thinking.

This is the age of Depression, sadly the numbers are skyrocketing.

In times of stress your brain is prone to running low on Magnesium, if you see his performances, were they not very similar to Luke Shaw, both in the early days embraced fully (Rose gushed about being shown videos and improved, he clearly connected and gave everything). Luke Shaw paid by breaking his leg (classic overtraining - probably running on simple sugars which highly deplete Calciums just as your body need an avalanche to sustain itself with the rigours of daily intensity styled schedules) - Bang.

Rose's manifested in depression, as the prolonged exertions depleted his already low Magnesium profile (ability to convert through Carbonic, it's key in this dynamic IMO). You can easily find the government showing simple sugars in diet = susceptibility to mental illnes (link below), couple that with low Magnesium and that means a world of trouble.

As Bjorn Synnes brought up about overtraining leading to a desire to quit, he then hates the profession, over Racism says he'll be glad when playing is over, showing his brain is inflamed (he is a no greens type of guy, I've no doubt, hardly any in his diet, probably Omega3 also).

He should be on daily Epsom Salts baths, sips of Milk of Magnesia (bizarre, but he is spitting bile... figurately and literally), swig fresh flax oil or blended with quark, these type of things are shown conclusively to help his situational profile.

Plus if he's partial to simple sugars, double bang:

These things have affected me, still affect me, and everyone of you reading. Time to stop hating Rose, he is suffering from what I would term 'Excessively loyal emotional acidosis', from training too hard under instruction, without sufficiency of recovery programs or nutritional profiling.

Bigger gaps for recovery, getting them on oxygen heightening recovery (longer if already on).

High dose MSM, Chi Machine (or similar gentle recovery oxygenating tech), high dose Flax, Magnesium, Calcium, Kelp for iodine n broad spectrum minerals, Epsom Salts & H2O2 baths, these types of things are needed to recover vitality IMO.

High fruit and especially vegetables (would have them on green smoothies with minerals infused/blended, eat 'in season' mainly on vegetables/fruit/meats, to ensure osmotic cellular pressure is correct to environment Sodium/Potassium ratios are higher in Sodium in winter foods, Potassium in Summer, to avoid pneumonia type illnesses, eating correctly so the water stays outside the cells more in winter, inside more in summer, seems a no-brainer for nutritionists/sports science folks to direct the cooks to prepare our squad.

We are in a new world, where everyone is more sensitive, our squad has become sensitive to training methods, throw a barrage of soothing shit at them, rest and repair the bile and spent energy from their muscles, lymph, brains, kidneys, liver.

Scale the intensity the f*ck down.

The team has been seriously overtrained since February. The endless league cup derby run of watford, spammers, woolwich, chavs x 2 during an injury crisis was just too much. Remember how Poch and the team was lauded for performing miracles around christmas time ?

Standard practice for overtrained endurance athletes is only light training for one to three months. This can´t be done in football.

I guess the PT professionals at the club warned about this problem. But he got caught up in the "never won a trophy" narrative and went all in on all fronts with a depleted squad. He knew that he was heading into deep trouble already before christmas and ditched the high pressing tactic except in restricted periods of games and managed the situation seemingly perfectly with a top four finish and a CL final.

The hope was that the summer break would help recuperate the squad back to normal health. But biology is a bitch - there are serious long term consequences to overtraining.

I have no idea about how hard he actually trains the players in between matches - but if he keeps training with high intensity in the current situation that is borderline criminal when the team is obviously not able to sustain high intensity for even 60 minutes during matches.

Poch´s philosophy clearly contains some sort of "mind over body" concept and he is/was willing to risk future problems for short term results. And now he is paying the price for that.

What can be learned from this:
- Fuck the league cup - every year - for ever
- Keep a large squad of players which you are actually willing to play
- Rotate before you feel you have to
- High volume high intensity training doesn´t work forever and doesn´t work in all situations

Where have you been all my life :)

What happens? And can it be remedied?

For what happens google "overtraining" - but most of what you find will only be about short term consequences and strategies. If you keep pushing the boundaries with already overtrained individuals you get a non-performing, depressed and frequently sick and injured athlete who longs for the day he can quit sport.

Does anyone know which diet regime Pochettino and his staff are using for the players?
No idea, but I suspect Poch himself subscribes to the yo-yo diet.

Such different times. We used to eat a full english after playing a game on Sundays. Admittedly this was as far away from PL quality as Piers Morgan is from a soup kitchen.

Well he’s not the head of sports science at all.

A qualified Dr is and has been for quite some time. A quick google will tell you that. The guy who saved that Bolton player.

Pochetinno junior is clearly learning his trade.

Amazing people don’t just do a bit of their own research. Rather than just trusting what they read or guess.

We did travel mid-week and essentially only had one full day to recover

Having said that - I think our biggest issue this season is our defence - we went from having the best back 4 to an assembly of average clowns with poor decision making. Until we sort out a consistent back 4 which doesn’t rotate every week - little would change, imv
Well yes because producing one goal against Sheffield United is top notch attack? We have bigger problems than or defence.

Well yes because producing one goal against Sheffield United is top notch attack? We have bigger problems than or defence.
Our defence is dog-shit - we could have easily seen that game out 2-3 seasons ago - we now look like conceding every time a cross is put into our box. You always start building from the back

Back
Top Bottom