Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eriksen has become a real problem, whilst nothing was ever put in writing it appears he made a verbal agreement with the club that if he was unable to secure the move he wanted this summer he would sign a new contract, albeit one with a release clause included, it now appears that his agent has said this won't happen.

Needless to say after the EPL window closed, and with little likelihood of him moving before next week's European window shuts, that leaves DL and Poch with no chance of selling him and him leaving on a free next summer.

If that turns out to be true, and we won't know until September 2nd, does Poch give pitch time to a player who has stabbed the club in the back? or does he bench him and waste the most talented player we have?

When Poch refers to 'lack of unity within the squad' pretty sure this is what he's talking about.

Toby and Jan are much older and have never said they will sign new contracts ... just not the same as having a 100m player string you along for three years only to stab you in the back ...

Only a rumour which Eriksen can kill by either leaving or signing as agreed ... we will soon see where his true colours fall ....

Yeah spot on, something is going on with the salary conversations that is upsetting the players, no other club has so many top players not signing or disappearing out of the squad (Jan, Eriksen, Trips, Toby, Rose etc). Luckily they are mostly good lads and will put a shift in when called upon so just play them rather than pretend we have adequate cover.

Except we've renewed or extended more contracts in the last two years than any club apart from the newly promoted ones? and just look at the ages of the players who have signed:

Hugo (32), Gazza (27), Foyth (21), Lamela(27), Son(27), KWP(22), Kane(26), Dele(25), Sanchez(23), Moura(27), Davies(26), Winks(23), Skipp (18) and all the new boys .... Sessegnon (19) Ndombele(22) LoCelso (23), Clarke(19)

and the ages at the end of their contracts for the players that haven't signed:

Jan(33) Toby(31) Rose(31) Tripps(30) .... the only standout is Eriksen at 27 and it's not as if we haven't offered him contracts year after year, he simply won't sign one.

Clearly that's by design not accident ... "so many top players not signing or disappearing" in the last three years just who exactly has left? ...

Except we've renewed or extended more contracts in the last two years than any club apart from the newly promoted ones? and just look at the ages of the players who have signed:

Hugo (32), Gazza (27), Foyth (21), Lamela(27), Son(27), KWP(22), Kane(26), Dele(25), Sanchez(23), Moura(27), Davies(26), Winks(23), Skipp (18) and all the new boys .... Sessegnon (19) Ndombele(22) LoCelso (23), Clarke(19)

and the ages at the end of their contracts for the players that haven't signed:

Jan(33) Toby(31) Rose(31) Tripps(30) .... the only standout is Eriksen at 27 and it's not as if we haven't offered him contracts year after year, he simply won't sign one.

Clearly that's by design not accident ... "so many top players not signing or disappearing" in the last three years just who exactly has left? ...
Walker

Bangkok spud, do you think if he doesn't go by the end of transfer window Poch will still have him on the bench for the rest of the season ?
benching 1 of the only 2 players we have that can see a pass is madness, we are not playing kids football when all the kids & their parents think they should be in the team,
the manager (Poch) should take football away from business side

Bangkok spud, do you think if he doesn't go by the end of transfer window Poch will still have him on the bench for the rest of the season ?
benching 1 of the only 2 players we have that can see a pass is madness, we are not playing kids football when all the kids & their parents think they should be in the team,
the manager (Poch) should take football away from business side

It's tough ... Poch has built his whole ethos around one for all and all for one, to go against that and play a player who it seems has stabbed him and the club in the back? What message will that send the rest of the squad ... there are loads stories true and false floating about, the only thing we know for sure is that Eriksen and the club are no longer talking ... could that change by the 2nd? who knows ...

Would benching a quality player for the integrity of the manager and club be worth it? Short term no, long term probably yes ... only Poch really knows how important he believes this to be.

I don t see Ericksens behaviour as betrayal or stabbing us in the back. He has given everything for 5 years while earning probably 40% of what he could earn at an other place, certainly 50% of what he deserved. How long would you have stayed at your company when you could earn double your monthly salary somewhere else?
Levy has done exeptionaly well for this club, but we have to realize he s burned many bridges on his path. How much loyality would you show your boss, when he keeps stringing you along for higher salaries, while penny pinching every cent you get and then makes himself the highest paied chairman in the league?
I ve come to realize a footballers goal is to win trophies and earn as much as he can in the short career that they have. We have not provided any of it to our players. We talk about loyality to the club but how many of us are jumping on a players back as soon as soon as he says something dodgy in the press, play a bad game or in this case when he announces, he s looking to change club to acchieve some of his life goals. Even when they are as influential players like Ericksen and have been a major part in our sucess over the last years and one of the main reasons for us to over acchieve year after year.
I ll miss Ericksen dearly but I don t blame him if he leaves us on a free. Keep playing him till Ndombele, Lamela or LoCelso are ready to step up as playmakers and prepare us for next season when some of our key players will be gone.
I want Pocchetino to stay, I ve never enjoyed watching us play more then the past few years under his reign. I want him to guide us through this transition. Because if I demand loyality from someone else, I ll give it to anyone who s made me so proud to be a tottenham supporter.

Last edited:
Here's an idea.

We give Eriksen to Juventus for 1m Euros transfer fee.

Juventus release Dybala from his contract.

We sign Dybala as a free agent and give him a 350k a week for 4 years.

Everyone's a winner.

I don t see Ericksens behaviour as betrayal or stabbing us in the back. He has given everything for 5 years while earning probably 40% of what he could earn at an other place, certainly 50% of what he deserved. How long would you have stayed at your company when you could earn double your monthly salary somewhere else?
Levy has done exeptionaly well for this club, but we have to realize he s burned many bridges on his path. How much loyality would you show your boss, when he keeps stringing you along for higher salaries, while penny pinching every cent you get and then makes himself the highest paied chairman in the league?
I ve come to realize a footballers goal is to win trophies and earn as much as he can in the short career that they have. We have not provided any of it to our players. We talk about loyality to the club but how many of us are jumping on a players back as soon as soon as he says something dodgy in the press, play a bad game or in this case when he announces, he s looking to change club to acchieve some of his life goals. Even when they are as influential players like Ericksen and have been a major part in our sucess over the last years and one of the main reasons for us to over acchieve year after year.
I ll miss Ericksen dearly but I don t blame him if he leaves us on a free. Keep playing him till Ndombele, Lamela or LoCelso are ready to step up as playmakers and prepare us for next season when some of our key players will be gone.
I want Pocchetino to stay, I ve never enjoyed watching us play more then the past few years under his reign. I want him to guide us through this transition. Because if I demand loyality from someone else, I ll give it to anyone who s made me so proud to be a tottenham supporter.

Mate need to fact check before posting... we’ve offered him very good improved contracts over the years. He just doesn’t want to be committed to the club any longer than his contract duration. He has dreams of playing elsewhere and this is part of his plan. The club could have offered him £500k and he would have turned it down. Unfortunately his head left six months ago but his body hasn’t caught up yet

Mate need to fact check before posting... we’ve offered him very good improved contracts over the years. He just doesn’t want to be committed to the club any longer than his contract duration. He has dreams of playing elsewhere and this is part of his plan. The club could have offered him £500k and he would have turned it down. Unfortunately his head left six months ago but his body hasn’t caught up yet

well neither of us know how much was offered to him. Apparently not enough to convince him. All I read is we never offered him as much as Harry until a few months back when it was clear he will run his contract down. From a financial point of view it would be stupid to sign a new contract now. He will get a big sign on fee and an increased salary for years to come with his new club. We probably can t provide him with the trophies every player dreams off. His agent has now probably a verbal agreement in place with his future club and knows how much both of them will make.
It was on Levy to offer him appealing wages and extend his contract when it was clear he is as important and influential as he s been years ago. But our chairman was busy penny pinching till Ericksens agent was tired of it and decideed the best strategy is to run down his contract and cash in from the next club.

well neither of us know how much was offered to him. Apparently not enough to convince him. All I read is we never offered him as much as Harry until a few months back when it was clear he will run his contract down. From a financial point of view it would be stupid to sign a new contract now. He will get a big sign on fee and an increased salary for years to come with his new club. We probably can t provide him with the trophies every player dreams off. His agent has now probably a verbal agreement in place with his future club and knows how much both of them will make.
It was on Levy to offer him appealing wages and extend his contract when it was clear he is as important and influential as he s been years ago. But our chairman was busy penny pinching till Ericksens agent was tired of it and decideed the best strategy is to run down his contract and cash in from the next club.

he said at Ajax he wanted to play in Spain, he said recently he wanted to play in Spain and it's not about money but a new challenge... unless Levy moved to RM and offered him a contract he aint signing anything. We've offered several key players very good contracts but they don't fancy it. Little Levy can do about that.

he said at Ajax he wanted to play in Spain, he said recently he wanted to play in Spain and it's not about money but a new challenge... unless Levy moved to RM and offered him a contract he aint signing anything. We've offered several key players very good contracts but they don't fancy it. Little Levy can do about that.

Yes but the single biggest flaw and if truth be told, lack of reality in Eriksen's thinking is that neither of the 2 or indeed if you want 3 big Spanish clubs seem overly interested in his services.

At nearly 28 it's a loser for any ciub unless they see him doing what he has fallen short of doing thus far. Being that main man in key games.

Put this way, had Modric or Bale been in the squad instead of Eriksen in this last 5 years I think they would have inspired us/taken is to glory.

It's not hard to figure.

I agreed because I don't see a player adhering to his contract and then leaving as a free man as a betrayal. It's Christian's career and he's been an excellent, hard working and dedicated servant to the club for much of his time with us.

I'd rather he stays but if it's time for him to chance his arm elsewhere we have to accept that and appreciate that he's stuck with us through transitional periods that's seen him work under 3 different managers. We are inan far healthier state now because of players like his influence on the club and we should remember that when judging what he chooses to do next.

It's a shame but if he has a desire to try another league can we really blame him? It's his life and we aren't his club. A contingency plan should always be in place should anything like this happen. If he leaves and it leaves us shorty creatively then it's only the clubs fault for allowing those weak areas in the squad to happen by not being pro-active enough with their dealings.

Last edited:
Here's an idea.

We give Eriksen to Juventus for 1m Euros transfer fee.

Juventus release Dybala from his contract.

We sign Dybala as a free agent and give him a 350k a week for 4 years.

Everyone's a winner.
Especially the other six or seven players that want wage parity with our highest earner. Would probably cost us the fat end of £50m a year.

Back
Top Bottom