Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

CkdJBuu.png

Eriksen will be incredibly difficult to replace.

CkdJBuu.png

Eriksen will be incredibly difficult to replace.

At his best of course.

But super player that he has been in the round, and this is also the case for Kane and Alli, none have taken us to trophies.

And to me that equates to never having dominated at key and crucial moments.

At our best we lacked that. Now we lack a few things but yes, on that level that took us beyond 15 teams regularly Eriksen will be a hard act to follow.

Number of matches played:

Eriksen 222
De Bruyne 133
Fàbregas 163
Özil 173

Hazard also has 34 more goals than Eriksen in that time.

Eriksen has been the sole creative player for his club and takes almost every free kick and corner.

And that’s the thing- people can bend statistics to fit their own narrative in any way they want. Statistics on their own only give an indication of any given situation and as the famous quote says “There are lies, damn lies and statistics.”
As you rightly say that table doesn’t show how many games played (I know it doesn’t claim to), what their specific role in the team is, whether they take the corners and/or free kicks and the standard of the finishers around them. I mean would Eriksen have as many assists if he was playing behind Giroud and Morata as opposed to Kane and Son? Similarly would he have had the chance to create as many assists if he hadn’t had prime Dembele creating the space for him to work his magic (let’s be honest he hasn’t been as effective since Dembele was sold.)
The problem is people look at these statistics and seem to base whether a player is/has truly been great solely on them. At his peak he was a great player for Spurs but whatever the statistics say, my eyes tell me Eriksen hasn’t been at his peak with us for quite some time (unpopular as this may be)

Last edited:
And that’s the thing- people can bend statistics to fit their own narrative in any way they want. Statistics on their own only give an indication of any given situation and as the famous quote says “There are lies, damn lies and statistics.”
As you rightly say that table doesn’t show how many games played (I know it doesn’t claim to), what their specific role in the team is, whether they take the corners and/or free kicks and the standard of the finishers around them. I mean would Eriksen have as many assists if he was playing behind Giroud and Morata as opposed to Kane and Son? Similarly would he have had the chance to create as many assists if he hadn’t had prime Dembele creating the space for him to work his magic (let’s be honest he hasn’t been as effective since Dembele was sold.)
The problem is people look at these statistics and seem to base whether a player has truly been great solely on them. At his peak he was a great player for Spurs but whatever the statistics say, my eyes tell me Eriksen hasn’t been at his peak with us for quite some time (unpopular as this may be)
Since we lost the Belgian Prince, Eriksen’s form has fallen off a cliff. This also coincides with the contractual shenanigans & (I think) him becoming a father.
We don’t have that protective shield in front of the defence, nor a player that sees the pass to the man that makes things tick when given the time and space by someone with Dembele’s special talents.
It’s done between Spurs & Eriksen. I’d be amazed if there was any way back, & I hope we get rid as quickly as we can now. He has been very good for us but we were very good for him. He’s a shell of the player he was & it is time for a change for both club and player.

Back
Top Bottom