Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From The Mirror - Copied and pasted to save your eyes from the horror that is their website.

Christian Eriksen transfer: Daniel Levy makes Tottenham's stance clear to Real Madrid
Spurs chief Levy met with Real Madrid president Florentino Perez in the Spanish capital on Friday night

Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy has told Real Madrid he has no intention of selling Christian Eriksen this summer.
Eriksen, instrumental in Spurs’ run to the Champions League Final, has just one year left on his contract.

The Danish midfielder can leave on a free transfer in 2020, and talks have stalled in recent months.
Florentino Perez had been hoping to cut a deal to take him to the Santiago Bernabeu this summer, as he and coach Zinedine Zidane plot a Madrid overhaul.

But El Confidential reports that, over dinner at Madrid City Hall on Friday night, Levy made clear he won’t be selling the playmaker to Los Blancos.

The pair are no strangers to one another and there is plenty of mutual respect between the duo, having previously worked out deals for Gareth Bale and Luka Modric to head to the Spanish capital.

But Levy is desperate to give coach Mauricio Pochettino the tools needed to mount a Premier League push next term, and rebuffed Perez’s approach.

He made clear that awarding Eriksen a new contract - potentially breaking Spurs’ wage structure - is his first priority this summer.

It’s claimed Levy’s stance is seen at the Bernabeu as a way of driving up the price, with Madrid said to be unwilling to go above £80million.

Pochettino is hoping Eriksen remains and is keen to add Giovani Lo Celso to his lineup in North London.
Mirror Football understands Spurs have had a £62million bid - made up of £50m plus add-ons - rejected by Real Betis.

Lo Celso, 23, is keen to link up with compatriot Pochettino after a successful stint in Spain - having moved to Seville from Paris Saint-Germain.

Just read that Lo Celso is a Giovanni and was reminded of Giovanni Dos Santos. Seems like he's basically retired at the age of 30. Nice gig if you can get it, for old Johnny Two Saints.

It comes of no surprise that he’s not committed, that’s how he’s played most of the season.

He has overall been phenomenal for us, and if we can get the right deal and the right replacement, I’ll harbour no ill feeling.

This isn’t a surprise, if he weren’t considering his options he would have signed a contract a long time ago.

It’s fine, he’s been here for 6 years and has always given his best. If we get £100m then it’s good outcome for all parties. If such an offer doesn’t arrive then I imagine we will be able to persuade him to sign a new deal. We’ll just have to see what happens. Like Hazard it’s now or never because of his age and contract situation.

To be honest I wouldn't be devastated if he goes now unlike 12 months ago.

He's played so much football at the top level that I think this season we have started to witness the effects of it with burn out. Furthermore I'd like to see us change system to incorporate more faster, tricky wide players (4-3-3) and Eriksen as the hybrid 8/10 makes it difficult to do that. We're dropping him deeper which reduces his attacking license but also our midfield is already pretty defensively lightweight and he does little to bolster it.

I was fine with selling him, but not happy he has come out and made these comments. You don't need to tell the World you want to go to Real Madrid.

I was fine with selling him, but not happy he has come out and made these comments. You don't need to tell the World you want to go to Real Madrid.

I'm kinda glad to be honest with you, the fans now need to know which direction we have to take on transfer talks, better to be honest rather than be all secretive and suddenly change teams out of the blue.

If we are planning to sell him before his contract is up, and if we want to get the most money for him, maybe don't show any prospective buyers a highlight reel of all the corners he's taken where he's hit the first man.

Also Lo Celso is not the player to replace Eriksen. We already have a lack of real passers in the team, Winks being the only one. If we lose Eriksen, we need a central or advanced midfielder who can tick us over the way Eriksen has for us (even when he's poor).

Ideally another CM similar to Winks would be great, then we can sell Eriksen and replace with a Lo Celso type.

Well. We can’t say that we’re shocked by this news.

I think Spurs need something new too.

Don’t have a bad word to say about him. Just get a good price
Ideally would love to see him sign a new contract and come back nest season rejuvenated but if that's not to be I don't want another season of a distracted Eriksen with his head turned to go for nothing.

Tbh anyone expecting offers much in excess of £50 million with just one year left on his contract are probably going to be disappointed.

Disagree. By all accounts this was his worst season with us, and he still had 10 goals and 17 assists largely from a deeper midfield role. He also scored the goal that let us go on this fantasy CL ride, and the goal against Brighton that all but clinched top 4.

I truly believe he will be successful wherever he goes.

Back
Top Bottom