Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eriksen’s best position is between the lines of midfield and striker, and when we have no creative midfield alongside Dier or Wanyama then it’s on Eriksen to drop in and make something happen.

If we were to bring in a Grealish/Kovacic/Tielemans type of player to take that role on then you’d see more from Eriksen.

If he does move on then he’s been an excellent servant to the club.

People still want Kovacic???????

Imagine spending the mooted 60m on him last summer... Our big bright shinny new marque, record breaking signing.... The CM to answer our prayers....

The guy that's been an absolute dud at Chelsea.

Look how 'understanding' fans were over Lamela, Soldado, Sissoko and now Dav.

The fan fall-out doesn't bear thinking about.

People still want Kovacic???????

Imagine spending the mooted 60m on him last summer... Our big bright shinny new marque, record breaking signing.... The CM to answer our prayers....

The guy that's been an absolute dud at Chelsea.

Look how 'understanding' fans were over Lamela, Soldado, Sissoko and now Dav.

The fan fall-out doesn't bear thinking about.

Just because he failed at Chelsea doesn’t mean he’s shit. Gomes was poor at Barca, he’s looked great at Everton. Tielemans was useless at Monaco, looks brilliant at Leicester.

Just because he failed at Chelsea doesn’t mean he’s shit.

No you're right; not in itself it doesn't. However, bearing in mind it's the same league and a similar level of performance required of him; what indicators are there that it would be a GOOD idea?

Gomes was poor at Barca, he’s looked great at Everton.

Also see him look shockingly shit for Everton.

Tielemans was useless at Monaco, looks brilliant at Leicester.

I was led to beleive Henry wasn't playing him so they shipped him out for further development/experience (hense the loan only deal we are alleged to have refused)....

If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised to see him line up for them next year.

.....I really don't see a positive wider response to the idea of paying £60m-odd on a player who's been mediocre at best for one of our rivals only the year before.

Talk about Bale coming back but what about Modric? said to be surplus to requirements and should have a couple of good years left and not injury prone.

Modric, Pirlo, Hoddle etc.

Such a crying shame players like this aren't able to pass on their gifts via coaching.....

Talk about Bale coming back but what about Modric? said to be surplus to requirements and should have a couple of good years left and not injury prone.
If he wasn't on silly wages, if the transfer fee wasn't too high AND if he realised unless he could prove otherwise he is a squad player, i would say yes for his experience at winning things alone.

Super player but not what we need to build for the future and I just don't see sustained output from a player who has shown fragility in a league that is less intense than the PL.

And this all presupposes he would want to and be willing to come.

The facts are we have had ample time to plan for the departures of Alderweireld and Eriksen.

Neither will be easily replaced but that is the challenge for us and whoever the player or players are. Big shoes to fill.

Not sure who could replace him

On form he’s the best and deserves parity with Harry

In today’s world the £70k a week that he’s allegedly on isn’t enough
Totally agree, same situation with Toby, who is by far and away our best defender. 70k is low in today’s market for these types of players. But on the other hand the club runs the wage bill sensibly (bit boring I know- but has kept us in the black) catch 22 situation, personally I’d like us to risk more

the club runs the wage bill sensibly

They absolutely, unequivocally, FLAGRANTLY do not.

The club runs the wage bill irresponsibly as a financial matter, at a level that constantly threatens their ability to maintain the revenue growth that is the club's lifeblood

Overpaying for players is also financial mismanagement, but refusing to pay market wages for integral star players and instead selling them for far less than an adequate replacement will cost is penny wise and pound foolish. It's a failure of the business practices of the club on Levy's own terms.

The club runs the wage bill irresponsibly as a financial matter, at a level that constantly threatens their ability to maintain the revenue growth that is the club's lifeblood

Overpaying for players is also financial mismanagement, but refusing to pay market wages for integral star players and instead selling them for far less than an adequate replacement will cost is penny wise and pound foolish. It's a failure of the business practices of the club on Levy's own terms.

Thought you’d get an agree from John but I think you’re right mate

Totally agree, same situation with Toby, who is by far and away our best defender. 70k is low in today’s market for these types of players. But on the other hand the club runs the wage bill sensibly (bit boring I know- but has kept us in the black) catch 22 situation, personally I’d like us to risk more

Both players turned down new deals so not fair to hold us to task over their wages being at a pre-raise level.

If that was the reality you'd have a point, but so far we've not lost a single decent player because of the wages in the last few years. We have offered Eriksen a bumper new deal and none of our rivals were prepared to match Alderwerield's demands and a 40m fee last summer. So at the moment there's not much evidence it's cost us loads so far, and all we'd have done, to this point, is pay millions more in wages for the same players, doing the same stuff. Not exactly brilliant economics?

Back
Top Bottom