Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

LOL He absolutley wasn't!!

You say he wasn't. I say he was. Our 'best' bits of a our 'best' midfielder summed up in a 1 minute 22 second clip!

Compare his performance with say... Bernardo Silva?

Please don't comeback with his running stats (or indeed any stats at all!). I watched the game and he was average at best (the proof of my eyes).

I'm not particularly having a go at Eriksen as I've supported him consistently in the past, but we need players to influence a game (rather than running a lot) at this point in the season. Yesterday the whole team was lifeless hoping that Son or Lucas would pull a rabbit out of the hat on the break (they didn't). I can't remember Son touching the ball in the second half.

I hope Eriksen turns it on for the last 7 (fingers crossed) games of the season.

You say he wasn't. I say he was.

Please don't comeback with his running stats (or indeed any stats at all!). I watched the game and he was average at best (the proof of my eyes).

I'm not particularly having a go at Eriksen as I've supported him consistently in the past, but we need players to influence a game (rather than running a lot) at this point in the season. Yesterday the whole team was lifeless hoping that Son or Lucas would pull a rabbit out of the hat on the break (they didn't). I can't remember Son touching the ball in the second half.

I hope Eriksen turns it on for the last 7 (fingers crossed) games of the season.

Look at DeBruyne and Silva and Agueros close ball control and passing.
Look at their first touch and instinctive pass.
Look at their awareness, and look at the space they create for themselves. Feels like they are always unmarked.

Now look at Eriksen, Dele and even Son.
Sloppy touch, never seem to know there is someone about to tackle them, rushed and stressed short simple passes, holding onto the ball too long when a quick shot is required and love turning INTO a crowded area of players when they were already in space.

Simple fact is that swap Eriksen for De Bruyne and we win yesterday

You say he wasn't. I say he was. Our 'best' bits of a our 'best' midfielder summed up in a 1 minute 22 second clip!

Hmmmm....

Not sure about this assessment. The game yesterday was sapping for so many reasons.

Eriksen played his part as much as anyone.

Silva was exceptional. No doubt. Incredible fitness levels.

Beyond him though, Sterling was mostly quiet, Gundogan not much more evident etc.

Like you I think Eriksen and Alli have to dictate proceedings much more and have a bigger impact but in a squad so depleted I think yesterday was not the day to judge him.

Sloppy touch, never seem to know there is someone about to tackle them, rushed and stressed short simple passes, holding onto the ball too long when a quick shot is required and love turning INTO a crowded area of players when they were already in space.

Yep. Have a little look round and pass the ball to Foyth or Davies!

We are at the most crucial time of the season. We can't afford to lose two (or maybe even one) of our PL games. Losing games pre-Christmas can be retrieved. Not now, with only four to go.

The whole season is condensed into the next four PL games. We need our top players, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Sissoko, Winks etc. to a) play under pretty much any circumstance (even if 75% fit), b) bust a gut for the club, c) perform.

I don't want players who run around a lot.

Look at DeBruyne and Silva and Agueros close ball control and passing.
Look at their first touch and instinctive pass.
Look at their awareness, and look at the space they create for themselves. Feels like they are always unmarked.

Simple fact is that swap Eriksen for De Bruyne and we win yesterday

I kind of get this but think it's unduly critical for yesterday.

That height of consistent performance this season from any midfielder in the top 6 has been the domain of City and Liverpool players.

I think what Eriksen and Alli lack is competition for their places. I have no doubt it creates an element of subconscious complacency.

What's your opinion on keeping him vs the potential money a transfer would bring in?

Surely we'll have at least a decent amount to spend regardless.
How much would it cost to replace him or upgrade?
And would Levy spend that kind of money?
He’s been in horrible form this season by his standards imo, but form is temporary- class is permanent.
Fingers crossed he signs up, has a good rest this summer, & comes back like the superstar we know he is.

Hmmmm....

Not sure about this assessment. The game yesterday was sapping for so many reasons.

Eriksen played his part as much as anyone.

Silva was exceptional. No doubt. Incredible fitness levels.

Beyond him though, Sterling was mostly quiet, Gundogan not much more evident etc.

Like you I think Eriksen and Alli have to dictate proceedings much more and have a bigger impact but in a squad so depleted I think yesterday was not the day to judge him.

You're probably right and I'm not judging Eriksen on yesterday's performance. He wasn't alone in that the team was lifeless and listless hoping for something on the break. Personally I can't think of one 'above average' performance yesterday. Maybe Foyth's bottling up of Sterling?

There are four games left.

I kind of get this but think it's unduly critical for yesterday.

That height of consistent performance this season from any midfielder in the top 6 has been the domain of City and Liverpool players.

I think what Eriksen and Alli lack is competition for their places. I have no doubt it creates an element of subconscious complacency.
I’ve said Eriksen has improved the last few games, but I’m sorry we are talking about a player that some people claim is in the Hazard and De Bruyne bracket.
Is he world class or not?

I’ve been berated for my views that he is world class on his day, but that day seems to be on average 15 games a season. The rest of the time he is ok, and sometimes, particularly this calendar year, downright shit.

Why wasn’t yesterday the day to judge him on?
Apparently he can walk into Barca or Real tomorrow, but we shouldnt hold him up against City?

Why shouldn’t we compare him to DeBruyne? He’s been plagued by injuries all season, and last season too.
Why shouldnt I expect Dele and Eriksen to pass like top players?

Last edited:
It's not just that he runs a lot, it's that he runs more intelligently than just about everyone else in our team.

More=good
better=good
More+better=v.good

He creates nearly double the chances of anyone else in our squad. To do that you have to take risks. We don't want every player doing this because most don't have the ability to make at least some fo them count.

He's created more than anyone in the PL I believe, since he's been with us. But he's not perfect. Nobody says he is. He's got weaknesses to his game (like most players), he's not a dribbler, he can be pressured into error, he's not as good as KDB, not as good as Pogba when he's on song - as an 8 anyway. But as a versatile footballer, who covers 2-4 different positions (CM8/10/AM) for us, he's definitely in that bunch of players just below that very top level in Europe.
Good post. Ridiculous that you needed to write it though. Criticism of CE has become absurd round here.

Where the fuck have I mentioned his "running a lot"?

Why are you comparing him to Bernardo Silva, what has that got to do with anything? HE'S NOT AS GOOD AS BERNADO SILVA. Does that help?

You said he was "anonymous today". I said he absolutely and categorically was not. For us, for Tottenham, he was instrumental with all our attacks (I think every single one of them). This by definition is not fucking anonymous, stating that he was is simply incorrect. This and ONLY this is what I picked you up on.

Good post. Ridiculous that you needed to write it though. Criticism of CE has become absurd round here.

What’s ridiculous is that people can’t laud him for anything yesterday other than one long ball that bounced off the top off Sons head and he “ran intelligently”.

Nothing about dictating our attacks anymore, a couple great shots, a great through ball, controlling the pace of the game......you know things that actually suggest a good game.

I think he’s shown more effort and been better recently, but I look at his peers at City, Liverpool and Chelsea and see real quality ON the ball.

Sorry, Eriksen isn’t that player right now

I’ve said Eriksen has improved the last few games, but I’m sorry we are talking about a player that some people claim is in the Hazard and De Bruyne bracket.
Is he world class or not?

I’ve been berated for my views that he is world class on his day, but that day seems to be on average 15 games a season. The rest of the time he is ok, and sometimes, particularly this calendar year, downright shit.

Why wasn’t yesterday the day to judge him on?
Apparently he can walk into Barca or Real tomorrow, but we shouldnt hold him up against City?

Why shouldn’t we compare him to DeBruyne? He’s been plagued by injuries all season, and last season too.
Why should I expect Dele and Eriksen to pass like top players?

Nope, we are mostly in agreement on Eriksen. Where I think we differ (and I read that we are hopeful of him signing a new contract) is that I drift a bit on his importance.

He knows how we play and to replace that will take some doing. Not sure we can easily get another player and not see a 2 year transitional period at least.

Forget the Hazard comparison. Totally different player. De Bruyne yes and only one winner.

It matters little.....Hazard can also be lazy and shit. But in form, he will win you a title.

Okay but Hazard's best form on any given day is maybe in the world's top 5.Eriksen's? Top 20 maybe.

It's levels so I agree but you can't be better than you can be

I do think however that improving on Eriksen won't be as easy as you or even I on my more mad moments believe.

Well I think the anonymity bit is covered in the 1 minute 22 second clip!

Silva (and yes, I know they dn't play the same position) turned in a performance that characterised City's desire to win the PL. Someone in our team (Eriksen, Dele, Llorente even!) has to show similar desire in the four remaining games. We must have top 4.

Defenders of Erikesen's performance often resort to running stats to support him. He's been poor to average since Christmas. Yesterday he was no better than average (along with everyone else).

Instrumental in all our attacks? Put 9 players behind the ball and hope that Son or Lucas can conjure something up? Alderweireld's 50 yard lumps upfield in the second half almost put Son or Lucas through a couple of times.

What’s ridiculous is that people can’t laud him for anything yesterday other than one long ball that bounced off the top off Sons head and he “ran intelligently”.

Nothing about dictating our attacks anymore, a couple great shots, a great through ball, controlling the pace of the game......you know things that actually suggest a good game.

I think he’s shown more effort and been better recently, but I look at his peers at City, Liverpool and Chelsea and see real quality ON the ball.

Sorry, Eriksen isn’t that player right now
With city and lolpool you’re talking about top teams full of world class players, all fit, and functioning superbly as team units all season. We’ve barely seen that all season for various reasons. I’m not giving him a free pass btw, just some perspective. It’s his worst season for us in some time but I still would keep him absolutely no doubt and some of the criticism is OTT. He still has more assists than all those players you allude to. Sure we want more but some people talk like that fact is worthless.

Seems a lot of pointless comparisons being made probably as a result of expectation levels being raised. De bruyne cost 58mill, hazard was 40mill when that was really expensive. Our players are rungs down from most of these guys but as part of a team that's been together for a while that understand what the manager wants and their role have almost matched and often succeeded the huge fee acquisitions of those other clubs.
I know we all want to push on but I remember when we were a big spending club and we were shite. We're doing it a different way and I like it. Eriksen is s vital part of he team. He has limitations but we're much worse without him. City are s different class to most even in Europe - no point in comparing player for player - but we beat them and eriksen played a key part.

With city and lolpool you’re talking about top teams full of world class players, all fit, and functioning superbly as team units all season. We’ve barely seen that all season for various reasons. I’m not giving him a free pass btw, just some perspective. It’s his worst season for us in some time but I still would keep him absolutely no doubt and some of the criticism is OTT. He still has more assists than all those players you allude to. Sure we want more but some people talk like that fact is worthless.
Yes those teams.....Eriksen has been fit since November and he was only away for two weeks

Eriksen can still play well if Kane or Trippier don’t. Sissoko, Winks, Toby, Son and Jan have played well all season.
Moura is playing well, Rose plays well.

Eriksen needs everyone to play well every week though to look good?

Last edited:
I’d like to keep him, if possible.

I appreciate the criticism and he’s certainly had a dip in form but he’s been moved about in midfield and it must be difficult switching from an out an out AM, to playing CM and having to transition the ball. It’s a bit like our defence. We’ve been forced to chop and change so much, it has to be unsettling.

Some of that is down to injuries, some down to Poch. How many times this season have we managed to play our best players in their preferred positions. Probably could be counted on one hand.

Back
Top Bottom