Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has it already started or am I delusional.
I think it might have started, but it's premature. He's had dips before, but this one is a bit more obvious than any I can remember. I was bad-mouthing him to my housemate and just as I finished my rant, he basically passed to a Watford defender (while under no pressure and presumably trying to cross to the edge of the 6-yard box) as a perfect example of what I'd been saying.

I didn't want to hear the words out of my mouth, but I said "it's almost like he's playing badly to soften the blow".

HOWEVER! I was pissed off at the time. I think he'll come right and all this panicking is just nerves getting the better of us. Form is temp, class is perm. I expect his season to make a big improvement, though. That's not indicative of anything, except the permanence of his class.

:pochsmirk:

Was poor today and hasnt been great recently.

Seems to have a dip in form at some point every season but I guess so do many players
Still, was expecting him to step up in Kane and Dele's absence-instead it's Son who has really been the guy.

Sky gave Eriksen 8, the same as Son. Daily Mail 7.5 being the top mark. Cannot say I remember him doing much today but midfield was very congested and I do not think he played badly either.

Sky gave Eriksen 8, the same as Son. Daily Mail 7.5 being the top mark. Cannot say I remember him doing much today but midfield was very congested and I do not think he played badly either.
He had some good passes (through ball to Trippier, cross to Llorente) in the second half and 2 of his attempts were cleared off the line (unlucky), he was decent the second half, but very bad in the first. I'm confident that he will be back to his old self.

I think a 5.5 would be more appropriate.

Very few mentioning a couple of crucial defensive interceptions he made during the few times the barcodes bothered us.

quite often he is not a all action player, he's not going to challenge in the air, he's not a tackler,
he can see passes that others don't see, he makes passes that create changes

I was strolling down for my early morning caffeine boost and thought that Eriksen looks less effective at present, possibly because of the absence of Kane and Alli.

Maybe more than any other players in our squad they are on Eriksen's wavelength and so it is plausible that he looks less able because the players he most enjoys playing alongside are not in the team.

Definitely got better in the 2nd half and arguably once Llorente entered the fray.

Poor yesterday compared with his usual standard. He misses the outlets that Kane and Dele provide.

He's been off the boil for the last half dozen games (only the cross to Dele v Fulham comes to mind). I've no idea if the transfer rumours are distracting him.

Annoyingly he has a habit of firing his set piece kicks at (and hitting) the first defender. I might be mistaken but he was taken off left-side corners yesterday (Lamela from memory). The commentator yesterday said that he hadn't scored from a dead ball in the PL since 2015 (no idea whether this is true).

Trippier (since last summer) and increasingly Kane seem to compete with him as to who takes the freekick on the edge of the penalty area. Two years ago this would have been unthinkable.

Last edited:
He's a bit off form but that's understandable without Kane and Dele around him. Those three are telepathic and make each other better.

My only serious gripe is his poor corners, but I've conceded Eriksen and Poch must know what they're doing.

Poor yesterday compared with his usual standard. He misses the outlets that Kane and Dele provide.

He's been off the boil for the last half dozen games (only the cross to Dele v Fulham comes to mind). I've no idea if the transfer rumours are distracting him.

Annoyingly he has a habit of firing his set piece kicks at (and hitting) the first defender. I might be mistaken but he was taken off left-side corners yesterday (Lamela from memory). The commentator yesterday said that he hadn't scored from a dead ball in the PL since 2015 (no idea whether this is true).

Trippier (since last summer) and increasingly Kane seem to compete with him as to who takes the freekick on the edge of the penalty area. Two years ago this would have been unthinkable.
I think the free kick start is true, yes. He scored one against Juventus (?) in the CL with a daisy cutter. Think that was his last goal from a free kick.

It is true. When he first signed he scored free kicks. As soon as commentators noticed he stopped. The last few years, including the last week they always say "a dangerous distance with Eriksen around" etc when we get a free kick and I think, no it's not. I think he last scored a freekick against Swansea years ago (and there was Kane's goal claim of his shoulder which Eriksen put in there) but he only ever misses, gets it saved, or hits the first defender the last few years. He isn't good at direct free kicks. It's a total myth build on early displays. I don't know why we persist with it. Surely Kane should practice them more and complete his game? Is Son not capable at it? Never seen him try. Dele? Anyone? Trippier is no worse that Eriksen and occasionally ally takes them now.

He’s not at his best and I think it’s probably the contract stuff. There will be a lot going on with his agent, the chairman, other clubs and many things will be going through his head. It’s not easy to play your best football when your future is unresolved. He’s working as hard as ever but lacking that spark.

It is true. When he first signed he scored free kicks. As soon as commentators noticed he stopped. The last few years, including the last week they always say "a dangerous distance with Eriksen around" etc when we get a free kick and I think, no it's not. I think he last scored a freekick against Swansea years ago (and there was Kane's goal claim of his shoulder which Eriksen put in there) but he only ever misses, gets it saved, or hits the first defender the last few years. He isn't good at direct free kicks. It's a total myth build on early displays. I don't know why we persist with it. Surely Kane should practice them more and complete his game? Is Son not capable at it? Never seen him try. Dele? Anyone? Trippier is no worse that Eriksen and occasionally ally takes them now.

He scored a FK against Juve last season.

The CIES has published the ranking of movement players (not goalkeepers therefore) who have played more in the last 5 years:

Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea)
16.099' in 182 partite

Kamil Glik (Torino, Monaco)
15.754' in 176 partite

Danilo (Udinese, Bologna)
15.613' in 177 partite

Dani Parejo (Valencia)
15.217' in 176 partite

Leo Messi (Barcellona)
15.197' in 180 partite

Cristian Eriksen (Tottenham)
15.174' in 181 partite