Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think he is a consummate pro, and there is literally zero chance of him causing any unrest for any reason.

It feels like it will be infeasible for us to replace him like-for-like due to A) his being world-class, and B) the current financial climate, and therefore paying him what he (or his agent) wants is best for both footballing AND financial reasons. I firmly stick to my opinion that he is our overall best player, and would only entertain Kane as a credibly argued alternative. He should get at least as good terms as Alli, no question.

I do want players who want to play for us, but I don't think it is unreasonable for world-class players to ask for a wage that reflects their ability.

Dunno mate... Can only guess at circa 100m, but the market's mental + it may depend who'd be doing the buying too.

With only one year left I would say +/- £80m, but it could be more if multiple big teams want him. I just hope he signs a new contract until 2024 or something.

If we were to get 80-100M for him and he's unwilling to sign an extension that we were able to give him (what we deem as) a very fair contract then I say sell him. I wouldn't blame him if the offer is there to test himself at one of the biggest teams. He's a special kind of player and his stats show.

If we've sat down and offered a contract then I have no doubt it's either on par with Dele though I Imagine closer to Kane.

If we've offered that and they deem it's not good enough, not much more we can do really. His agent will know he can get more money elsewhere because of his clients ability. The fact he'll be 27 years old come the summer with a year left on his contract his agent will probably think he can get something special for Eriksen elsewhere.

A bit like the Toby deal where we offered him a substantial amount but his agent wants more. Like Eriksen, Toby is entering his peak years and they KNOW they can get more money elsewhere. Shame these people have agents really because Toby and Christian probably would have extended otherwise.

Just hope it doesn't go the way of Alderweireld even if it is drawing parallels. Contract dispute, following injury cannot get back in the team despite being fit as called up to international squads and will likely play, poor form etc.

Last edited:
It would appear Christian's agent is asking for a salary that we just can't or won't match ... seems we've stopped talking for now however our last offer is still with his agent ...

In a way you can't blame his agent when lesser players are getting 300k, 400k, 500k a week, nor can you blame Spurs for trying to keep wages under control ....

The question for us is where else will we find a world class 26 year old who will play for less?

Difficult decision, stick with a wages policy? or break the bank for a superstar? .....

If we were to get 80-100M for him and he's unwilling to sign an extension that we were able to give him (what we deem as) a very fair contract then I say sell him. I wouldn't blame him if the offer is there to test himself at one of the biggest teams. He's a special kind of player and his stats show.
I'd rather him stay but if we sold him for somewhere around that then I'd be more than happy splitting that up on two midfielders like Ndombele and Diawara. Promote Lamela up to the main play-maker role alongside Alli. Overall that would probably improve our squad, but we would definitely be losing a lot of ability creatively.

I do want players who want to play for us, but I don't think it is unreasonable for world-class players to ask for a wage that reflects their ability.
Nicely put. But considering we spend less on transfer fees (net) than most other PL clubs, let alone top 6, and last summer spent even less than the Dog and Duck, you'd think a club of our size, stature and turnover would have the funds to at least pay our exististing top players what they deserve.

Does anyone know if players would be given a “signing on fee” when extending a contract?

I think that’s another way we could ease the difference between our wage limitations and those of the mega clubs.

For example let’s say Chris is after £250k a week but we’re offering £150k. Take a 4 year contract, £20.8M in lost wages for the player over the term of the contract.

What is it going to cost to replace him? A damn sight more than that. Just pay the extra as a signing on fee and everyone’s happy?

Player gets his money, we keep our preferred player AND our wage structure. Fans are kept happy?

What options are there for him to go if he were leave? He's no going to anywhere in England so Barcelona or Italy that would be Juventus that's about it. No challenge with either of them they rule the roost in their respective leagues might aswell stay with us and build something and reach legend status cos he's not going to that in Spain or Italy he's just going to be a bit part in their boring history of continuous domination.

It would appear Christian's agent is asking for a salary that we just can't or won't match ... seems we've stopped talking for now however our last offer is still with his agent ...

In a way you can't blame his agent when lesser players are getting 300k, 400k, 500k a week, nor can you blame Spurs for trying to keep wages under control ....

The question for us is where else will we find a world class 26 year old who will play for less?

Difficult decision, stick with a wages policy? or break the bank for a superstar? .....

If it's in line with similar to what Dele or Harry are getting the mans worth every penny. If the agents demands are in and around this area he needs to be a lynchpin for the next 5 years.

Anything higher than that and there'll be trouble, not just with Christian but with keeping the rest of the squad sweet and onboard

Eriksen's options are not that big. There is a meeting tomorrow whereby the Premiership teams may agree to a lower number of foreign players. That will make it harder for the rich clubs to buy further foreign players in the next couple of years including us. Only Barca and Real are an upgrade on us abroad and whilst other teams like B Munich are large, they do not really attract top class ex premiership players.
Eriksen is the main playmaker for us and his Country and would not be the same player if he was played in a different role. Would he get enough game time at Real with Modric there? Posters with a better understanding of Barca's team might have a better idea as to whether he would fit in there.
Whilst I can see Kane or Dele being successful at the top Spanish sides I am not so sure that Eriksen would be. His value to us is more than his value elsewhere.

My main worry would be if it's not about wages/money.

He would improve even the super clubs.

I can't hate if he wants to go (outside of the prem of course), he's given us some great seasons and he's 27 now. His next contract is the last big one.

I just hope the romantic in him sees that we are keeping Kane and believes in Poch being able to carry out the project (given fair money to spend on acquiring and retaining players).

If I were him I wouldn't be singing anything until after the January transfer window. I would want to see intent by the club and manager. If I felt they were committed to improve now the stadium is complete then as long as my pay in near to Kane's I would sign.

Buying young prospects is always a risk, they might want to play for one of the biggest clubs on the planet at some point – who can blame them? Until we have that status it's a harsh reality of the situation. Lets be clear, a big club isn't just one with good finances, it's one that is winning both domestic and European titles. It takes more than a few seasons to get there...

Actually I think that IF Eriksen would want to leave, then options are PLENTY! And it is more general claim for our top blokes.

Here is the richest clubs (Deloitte Money League) top 10:
1. ManU
2. Real
3. Barca
4. Bayern
5. ManCity
6. Woolwich
7. PSG
8. Chelsea
9. Pool
10. Juve

So, ManUre will be dumpster fire this year. Latest at the end of season Mou will be sacked, results are poor. Significant part of the team has to be replaced. Basically now they only have a deep-lying playmaker and someone like Pogba (lower) and Eriksen (higher) could absolutely work together.
Real - lost their talismanic player with no replacement. Coach sacked. Clear need of rebuild soon. Though I think they will get Hazard now (their top target, understandably). If they don't get him - Eriksen is very reasonable alternative.
Barca - huge mess at the start of the season. Players leaving/retiring/getting older. Would absolutely burn for player like Eriksen. Have not competed in CL of late. They will be market for additions.
Bayern - another dumpster fire. And another club with players getting old at attacking positions. Would be absolutely good fit for Eriksen by all means. They have the buck, but question is if they play high enough transfer fee.
PSG - no shit, they will fail on another attempt on CL this year. So what is the solution for sheikhs? Spending spree! And now with a frontline of Neymar-Cavani-Mbappe they could most likely use some Eriksen-like player in midfield 3.

I would rule out Juve, as they were the biggest spenders in Europe last summer. And to combine it with fact that on grand scale they are quite poor (we will surpass them in the ranking next year, little doubt in that), I don't think they are contenders. Manchester City has abundance of options with de Bruyne and Mahrez in his position, they just don't need him. And I'd rule out Scum, Dippers and Chavski, who really would not be an upgrade on us.

So I'd say that there are 5 teams out of top 10 in the world, who would have solid case for buying someone like Eriksen for say 90 mil EUR. Even with Real (main target Hazard) and Bayern (bit unlikely to pay such amount) being bit less realistic, there are still 3 options.

That is also relevant to other top talents like Alderweireld.

Ofc hopefully Eriksen stays, I just meant this as bacground.

comparing to other EPL players is pointless without removing the outliers.

Top paid players in the EPL, I believe, are ozil, sanchez, KDB, lukaku and pogba.

How many of these would get in an EPL select? KDB? that's about all. the rest are shit value for money, and if Eriksens agent can claim parity, then so can the agents of about 50 other players in the league.

Offer him as much as we can within our structure. If he turns it down, sell him in the summer.

It’s not that complicated, either he wants to play for Tottenham or he doesn’t. If it’s the latter then there’s only one outcome.

Back
Top Bottom