Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does it occur to you that Kane is "the best striker in the EPL" precisely because he's playing in front of Eriksen ...

There are opinions and statistics about who the best midfield players in the world are today ... I've not seen one that doesn't have Eriksen in the top 5 AM's ...

What's perhaps most telling is his fellow professionals nearly all rank him in their top three in the world, only KDB in the EPL gets a bigger vote ....

Personally I believe that no player is bigger than any club, Kane, Dele, Eriksen can all be replaced ... however having a team that's now in it's third/fourth season playing together allows the sum to achieve more than the parts, for that reason alone getting Eriksen to sign, even on 200k a week, would be far better than replacing him with a similar quality player ... who would cost 150m, and want 300k a week anyway, and probably wouldn't sign for us ...

So is Eriksen the best playmaker in the world? maybe not ... but is he the best for Spurs? ... I would say 100% yes ....

Is there a better ST in the world for Spurs than Harry?

Surely you can extrapolate the same onto Kane and essentially come to the same conclusions; only increase the £££'s and add the 'one of our own' factor?

Not to say i wouldn't do everything feasible to sign CE to a new contract, of course.

We are a totally different team without Eriksen. It's not just his ability, it's his workrate.

When Son replaces Kane, we're inferior. When Eriksen doesn't play, we are *much* worse.

....Yet everyone hankers for that elusive quality ST2 (usually ahead of AM depth if it comes to the crunch). Go figure.... :pritchardeyes:

...Further 'spice' for the pot; the results support the fact we've been better without the off form Eriksen this season. :allitongue:

If Eriksen or Kane left you'd assume we'd seek to replace them. On the basis of sale/replacement I firmly believe Kane is the tougher to replace... If we're talking like for like calibre, financials alone dictate this.

Re: Top 5 AMs

CE in the top 5 genuinely suprises me. Equally so, interested to see who makes up the top 5 CFs in the game if Kane doesnt rank.

Does it occur to you that Kane is "the best striker in the EPL" precisely because he's playing in front of Eriksen ...

There are opinions and statistics about who the best midfield players in the world are today ... I've not seen one that doesn't have Eriksen in the top 5 AM's ...

What's perhaps most telling is his fellow professionals nearly all rank him in their top three in the world, only KDB in the EPL gets a bigger vote ....

Personally I believe that no player is bigger than any club, Kane, Dele, Eriksen can all be replaced ... however having a team that's now in it's third/fourth season playing together allows the sum to achieve more than the parts, for that reason alone getting Eriksen to sign, even on 200k a week, would be far better than replacing him with a similar quality player ... who would cost 150m, and want 300k a week anyway, and probably wouldn't sign for us ...

So is Eriksen the best playmaker in the world? maybe not ... but is he the best for Spurs? ... I would say 100% yes ....

To be fair, you could argue the opposite. Eriksen’s assist record wouldn’t look anywhere near as good if he didn’t have a clinical striker like Kane ahead of him.

It’s a moot point anyway. I’m just thankful that we have two incredible players in our team. They’re both irreplaceable, and both incredibly important.

If push comes to shove I’d say Kane is more important. He can score goals out of nowhere. Eriksen can tee them up, but it won’t make much difference if he has a mediocre striker in front of him. Kane is also our talisman. A youth product, a Spurs fan, the England captain, this is classic Roy of the Rovers stuff happening for real.

Kane is the most important player at the club. He’s the cutting edge to the sword forged by the likes of Eriksen. Yet if Eriksen leaves I’d still expect him to find a way of scoring. That’s what he does.

It’s a strange argument really. They’re both brilliant players, and nobody here wants to lose either one of them.

Eriksen provides update on Tottenham contract negotiations

"I have my agent to take care of it so I can play football," he told Danish outlet BT. "Then we see where it ends.

"There have been talks with Tottenham many times.

"I cannot say if it’s over just yet – you must ask them."

Okay, but what does it all mean?

giphy.gif

Can't help but assume we'd have made our top offer by now and thus he's stalling to see what other interest surfaces...

Tough question: If circumstances dictate, Do we sell or let him leave a year later on a free.

Can't help but assume we'd have made our top offer by now and thus he's stalling to see what other interest surfaces...

Tough question: If circumstances dictate, Do we sell or let him leave a year later on a free.
Eh ? That's goons fiscal model

You don't allow a 100million asset to leave on a free

Of course ... I want him to sign for longer

I know he's just come back from injury etc but this all feels abit like the Toby situation. Agents rejecting new deals etc so the player himself isn't being played. I know that probably ISNT the case but it's odd that Eriksen isn't starting league games when some would consider him our most important player

I know he's just come back from injury etc but this all feels abit like the Toby situation. Agents rejecting new deals etc so the player himself isn't being played. I know that probably ISNT the case but it's odd that Eriksen isn't starting league games when some would consider him our most important player
You remember his previous dip In form during the last contract negotiations

If he signs, great, just do it. If he's deploying delaying tactics to for whatever reason, then get the best deal. I'm fed up of players dragging their heels and causing unrest. Said it before, only want players at this club who want to be here. If they think the grass is greener, let them see if that's true!

Yeah if his heart isn't in it and he doesn't want to stay then get rid. It'll be tough because Eriksen has been fucking excellent for us. Been through the tough times of the end of AVBs tenure, the laughing stock that was Sherwood and then through to the excellence we've seen under Poch but I do remember seeing an article a few years back saying how he would like to play in different leagues (I think this was when he was at Ajax) and i really don't blame him for wanting to perhaps push for a BIG contract whether here or elsewhere at a big club coming into what could be considered his peak years.

Pointless it dragging on though as we'd end up getting absolutely nothing like his true value for him when he leaves (A bit like Alderweireld really). I'm one of those who feel no player is bigger than the club. We've played excellent football before Eriksen, without Eriksen and we'll play great football when he's long gone.

But I'd rather he and the club came to an agreement and he enjoyed his best years with us as we move into a new stadium and aim for the best

If he signs, great, just do it. If he's deploying delaying tactics to for whatever reason, then get the best deal. I'm fed up of players dragging their heels and causing unrest. Said it before, only want players at this club who want to be here. If they think the grass is greener, let them see if that's true!

My sense is that Christian would like to, at some point in his career, test his mettle with a historically "top" club like Barca/RM/Juve. The time for him to do so at his peak is slowly running out. I'm sure Christian will notice from the Toby/Rose situations how difficult it is to engineer a move away from Tottenham. This dilemma will surely cause him no small amount of anxiety in trying to figure the best path forward for his career.

Wonder how long it'll be before he earns greedy cunt, slippery snake or full blown traitor status among the usual forum suspects?
Yes, you all know who you are.
My guess is it'll start to kick in around feb/march.

Last edited:
Hope he commits and stays. Players like him are quite the rarity.

Didn’t he sign an extension with Ajax before they sold him to us to make sure they pocketed top dollar when they cashed in on him?
I’m assuming he’d do the same for us if he was looking to leave.
If he wouldn’t, then see JT’s post above.

Back
Top Bottom