Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting stats post here about chances created and so forth.

Eriksen is off to a slow start and the stats confirm.

Interesting insight into Tripps and Kane as well.

Aguero, Salah and Mitrovic are so far the most 'active' strikers (an analysis of every Premier League player) : soccer

The most concerning thing for me regarding Eriksen is his lack of movement off the ball. He's usually so sprightly and always wants the ball yet this year his body language looks off. Not great but it could be because of his part played in Denmark going out of the World Cup or recently becoming a dad who knows.

Stats are good, but I could tell within the first 30 minutes against Newcastle that he wasn't going to have a good start to the season. We need him to get back to pulling those strings sharpish with the Liverpool game on the horizon

There could be an element fatigue, I'm pretty sure Eriksen has probably played more minutes football than just about anyone else in our core group, no? Then there was the WC obviously, massive pressure on his shoulders. And he's so heavily relied upon as well, he can't just coast through games like a CB or CF might. He often covers more ground than anyone in our team. There are times when he goes through these little fatigue dips when he's been over used.

But I think his changing remit and the way we are playing as a group right now is also a factor. He's playing more as a midfielder and less as a floating 10 these days. And the first three games we were all over the place, different systems in the same games, two strikers, 3cb's then 2cb's. Hard for anyone to shine.

I still think if you judged his game as a conventional "8" type performance on Sunday he was pretty damn good.

There could be an element fatigue, I'm pretty sure Eriksen has probably played more minutes football than just about anyone else in our core group, no? Then there was the WC obviously, massive pressure on his shoulders. And he's so heavily relied upon as well, he can't just coast through games like a CB or CF might. He often covers more ground than anyone in our team. There are times when he goes through these little fatigue dips when he's been over used.

But I think his changing remit and the way we are playing as a group right now is also a factor. He's playing more as a midfielder and less as a floating 10 these days. And the first three games we were all over the place, different systems in the same games, two strikers, 3cb's then 2cb's. Hard for anyone to shine.

I still think if you judged his game as a conventional "8" type performance on Sunday he was pretty damn good.

He came back early from WC break to train for preseason.
Gotta respect that, of course, but he does seems to be playing a bit anxious to me.
New kid, big contract coming up, semi-sour WC exit, while trying to maintain his normal classy, hardworking self, I can see him feeling a lot of pressure right now.
Love Chris though and hope he can stay relaxed amidst it all, and get back to playing effortlessly beautiful football for us. As you point out, it'd be great if he could play up top with a bit less defensive responsibilities again. I'm sure we'll have the opportunity soon given our luck with injuries and busy (in a good way aka fuck you thursday night woolwich bitchez) schedule...

Didn't Eriksen cover the most ground either in this round of games or the last?

I'd say he's lacking sharpness like most of the team but I wouldn't go as far to say sluggish.

He has run further than any other player in the PL this season and by some margin too.

I do love the little man, but honestly does anyone else think that he kind of turns it on more for Denmark?
He seems to but I suppose he is their only decent player, whereas we have Dele, H, the Moose, potentially Lucas, to ease the burden. He is still the one who really makes us tick.

I do love the little man, but honestly does anyone else think that he kind of turns it on more for Denmark?
Totally agree......

I too rate Eriksen highly but for a player we fear losing to the likes of Barca etc he really isn’t there yet in my opinion.

We talk about him as an ultimate top bracket player, but if I’m honest I don’t see it most games. Flashes here and there but way too many off target or tame shots, extremely poor set pieces (yes I’m aware he’s scored 4 or 5 free kicks in 6 years)
and really just not pro active enough at driving forward.

He’s quality and very clever, but he dithers too often and we are often subjected to counters because he doesn’t win 50-50s.

100M is a completely laughable price in my opinion.

Totally agree......

I too rate Eriksen highly but for a player we fear losing to the likes of Barca etc he really isn’t there yet in my opinion.

We talk about him as an ultimate top bracket player, but if I’m honest I don’t see it most games. Flashes here and there but way too many off target or tame shots, extremely poor set pieces (yes I’m aware he’s scored 4 or 5 free kicks in 6 years)
and really just not pro active enough at driving forward.

He’s quality and very clever, but he dithers too often and we are often subjected to counters because he doesn’t win 50-50s.

100M is a completely laughable price in my opinion.

If you'd written the same about Kane, you'd already seen both yellow and red. You're talking through your hat -- Eriksen is the difference between a top four and a mid table position. That is how imporant he is to us.

If you'd written the same about Kane, you'd already seen both yellow and red. You're talking through your hat -- Eriksen is the difference between a top four and a mid table position. That is how imporant he is to us.

I’ve not said he isn’t important to us, I’ve said he doesn’t deliver enough to warrant a 100M price tag.

I couldn’t give a toss about yellows, I’ve seen the bin enough times for my views on players.
It’s funny how most people start to agree en masse three months after the fact though.

Dele was supposedly not poor in the autumn last year, same people claiming “Dele’s Back!!” this season though. Back from where, I thought his form had never waned??

If Eriksen consistently adds 15-18 League goals a season to his resume (or simply learns how to take a corner) you’ll be tugging one off about how much he’s improved, while ignoring the fact that you didn’t think he needed to.

Back
Top Bottom