Brentford fc vs TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR/ Sun 13th 14:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My review on the game whilst trying to be rational.

Most have said Biss, Maddison and Udogie were good. I concur. Sanchez and VDV I thought were good too given that they had to step in at short notice. VDV did a lot of mopping up of long balls, but I'm concerned if he's not available who is going to fill in, again need someone as a replacement.

Some saying the Brentford goals were unlucky. I don't see it like that and I'm pretty sure Ange will also be annoyed with a couple of points in how we defended those.
Although Son tracked back for the penalty, I thought Brentford played around us too easily to get into the box. Son was a fraction late getting back.
Second goal is where Ange will be disappointed. I thought Deki was poor going forward as a few people have mentioned but actually Rico Henry was running off him every time. I felt sorry for Emerson, who was playing CM then dragged out to defend against Henry. He wasn't getting help from Deki and it felt like Skipp was getting bypassed too. This was the first problem in the second goal we conceded. I also don't think Ange will be happy with the marking, we had a numerical advantage defending that situation, Sanchez and VDV were just marking space. In that situation one of them needs to step out and mark Wissa.

Reminiscent of Poch where we had possession but recycled from one side to the other. We looked threatening on the occasions we played line breaking passes. Against low block teams, I think we should play Maddison and GLC behind Richy. We also need to keep the width. Got so frustrated with Deki cutting inside, only got to the byline once and against a good 1v1 defender like Henry didn't really look like getting anything out of that duel. Solomon would have been interesting to see. We do need another option there, Olise would be great.

On Vicario, I mentioned after the Shakhtar game that a quick way to prevent the long ball being an issue is to play sweeper keeper. Someone is obviously reading my posts. It looks scary, but that's mainly because Vicario isn't yet used to playing that style and indecision makes it look kamikaze. But I certainly think playing that sweeper keeper role today prevented some chances for Brentford which will go unnoticed. His early distribution was a positive change from Lloris.

Lastly Brentford stylistically don't suit us.
We looked nervous on the first 20 minutes, passes were slow and inaccurate. We then settled and starting playing a bit.
Brentford is notorious for keeping the grass on their pitch longer than most and on a summers day with it being drier it makes passing difficult for teams that want to do this. Brentford couldn't care less given they play long and direct. This is combined with nerves from our part was why we struggled with some of the passing and interplay.

Also need to be less reliant on the Bissouma - Maddison link up, teams will quickly look to block this, we desperately need our wingers to help here.

All in all not a bad start to new era which is stylistically different to the past 4 seasons. Our pre-season prep was hindered and I think we need more time just bedding in. But Levy needs reinforce some key areas in the last few days of the window.

Deuterz Deuterz
GGTH GGTH
prinmemo

I'm not posting this cos I buy into it (I was actually trying to find a top scoring widemen 22/23 list); but it's topically fun:

EDIT:

They don't seem to list Sonny as a winger (doh!), but 10/6 leaves him top 8:

Thank you.

This was exactly my point. Although Son has been poor by his standards, his output is still top 20th percentile among starting wingers in the PL (assuming two starting wingers per team). You don’t just tell a player like that to fuck off until you have a top replacement or you have enough evidence that he has suffered a massive drop off.

A positive start and good to get a point on the board away from home.

The players looked fit and seem to be enjoying Ange's style of play. It will take some time to get it right, but we seem to have a good balance of players in the squad.

I particularly liked Royal playing with Bissouma in the middle of the park. Their passing was slick and they were able to move the ball from side to side. However, this does leave a hole in our defence which was exposed.

VDV with a good start. Looked confident. Sanchez also put in a good performance - I'm sure their will be haters, but his pace was essential to cover the space left by Royal moving centrally.

Son was always going to have minimal space against a team like Brentford who don't play a high line. Good to see that Ange is happy to make changes to suit.

As far as the squad goes, I think we have a good balance. No European football means we should hopefully be able to keep the core group fit and focused.

COYS

Hopefully Ange tweak something to fix the overcrowding in the center.

It was good that we aren't parking the busbnorndid we sustain a 10 min onslaught from them. Not too sure if was due our tactic resulting in Brentford playing on the counter. In any case Brentford and Bournemouth are 2 teams I hate.

I'll count ourselves lucky because we could have easily concede 2 penalty. Vicario foul would have been given for most case. Until then . Hope we improve

Solid first showing of the new era. Positives were VdV & Udogie seem well suited to the prem and will hopefully fit in nicely relatively soon. Vicario was a bit worrying at times though neither goal was his fault.

Maddison and Biss looked great. Skippy didn’t seem suited to that role. Surprised we didn’t see Gio at all. That was some really open playing especially away from home. I didn’t mind it but I really hope Ange tweeks things at times. That won’t fly against the likes of Liverpool, city etc.

United at home will be a true test to where we are at. Somewhat glad our goals came from defenders. They are going to have to be spread out this season so might as well get it going early on. COYS

2-2 away to a good team who defended well is a pretty decent start. Given we also had 4 debutants, 70% of the ball and lost our best defender after 15 minutes, all whilst trying to implement a new style of football that we have been playing for less than 6 weeks whilst navigating a disrupted pre-season and a soap opera concerning Harry Kane and I think if you put everything into perspective this is a fine start to our new era.

I expect a wild ride until at least Christmas but early signs are very positive.

Newbies did well although not sure on the keeper, let's see how he goes.

Yves class act.

Son and Kulu must do more.

Emerson I'm not sure on, same with Skipp. Let's see with time. Same with Richy.

Nice to possess the ball, players still need to show more but Yves and Mad make a big difference. Worry about squad depth when they're out and others (Dog, Micky, Royal)

BIG and intriguing game next week, let's see how we go against a team who come to play.

Shame Kane's gone, he'd love this. Let's hope he wins the lot quickly, scratches that itch, and comes home to his beloved Spurs. Amen

Not a bad start. The game was more exciting than Conte’s. Brentford won 6 games from City, ManU, Liverpool, Chelsea and us in the last season. I am optimistic for future.

Formation error: Your lineup must contain exactly 11 players. Please check your formation. A 'Player' is considered to be 1 name without spaces.

Ok Ange can you just talk me through

Keeping Skipp on instead of Lo-Celso when we were camped in their half.
Keeping Kulu on instead of either Porro or Soloman.
Not getting Perisic on Sooner?

A good start but see to my three points above. Dont turn into stubborn arsehole like the last two managers we had please.
think it was because we had 80% possession of the ball in most part of 2nd half, was maybe thinking goal will come then Brentford made changes then so did we.

But yh hopefully he ain't stubborn with them

I don’t understand why Kulu and Son don’t switch sides. Both too slow.
I keep saying that ffs! It’s stupid thinking kulu is gonna beat Henry or any player who walk faster than he can run and then get a cross in. On the left he could just do what becjham use to and that is get half a yard and whip the ball with his natural foot. I don’t even know why Ange dues even try it fir like 15 mins in the gane to switch things up. Surely it’s worth a go?

Changes for Utd game I'd like to see - Sarr in for Skipp, Porro in for Kulusevski. Leave the others for a minute but keep Son on a short leash and let him know, more of the same and he is benched.

I'd like to see Porro on the right of our attack because he can hold the width, has good delivery and is a good, technical player. I think Richy has more of a chance with a player like Porro out wide.
I reckon if we had Porro and Perisic outside whoever plays at #9 and we will be scoring for fun, especially with Madders behind.

We’ve had nearly all of the possession but have created very little. We need to change something as we’re looking pretty easy to defend against
This is the thing Brentford let us have the ball knowing we did t have the pace down the wi gs to get crosses in. Any crosses that came in they generally dealt with. We needed to change something but Ange didn’t. Think Brentford were happy to play on the counter in the 2nd half. Ange did like for like changes, left it a bit late and left kulu on when may be gio might have given us some extra passing quality. We basically relied on Biss and madd to provide any creativity. Skipp offered nothing and really does look lost in that 8 role. Ever really gets on the ball and just makes a simple short pass to player next him. He is not gonna beat a man and he ain’t got the passing range.
Good start but Ange needs to be more flexible and not more braver as we didn’t really create too many good chances in 2nd half.

This is only game 1. He lost 3 of his first 6 at Celtic while the players adapted. 10-15 games in and you'll see his team. This spurs team haven't settled yet - that was obvious yesterday - but when they do, you're in for a treat.

Clinton Morrison slates Sanchez​

Following Brentford scoring their second goal of the game, which gave them the lead at the time, Morrison brought up the defensive performance of Sanchez and he wasn’t best pleased.

The BBC pundit said: “Same old problems for Tottenham defensively. Sanchez not good enough.” Luckily, Spurs did equalise and in the end the score remained 2-2.

I thought Sanchez did alright.

Back
Top Bottom