Best players ever!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So as an aside to this thread, if you could airdrop just ONE of our previous players, at their peak, into our current squad, who would you bring in?

:gallashmm:
No debate: Dave Mackay. A leader, hard as nails, technically brilliant. We would win the PL with him in the side.
As much as I loved Greaves, Hoddle, Gazza and Bale, they were not leaders, and I think that is the one thing our side is missing.

Bale did refuse to train, this was confirmed and criticized by AVB in a press conference. Modric had pulled a similar stunt the summer before.
As for the accusation of being deceptive, Bale's agent sent out an email to a Spurs supporters organisation suggesting Bale was going to stay (whilst at the same time negotiating the Real Madrid move). I think someone posted it on here at the time. His agent was probably trying to have his cake and eat it, i.e. keep the Spurs fans happy in case the Madrid move didn't go through.
I'm under no illusions, it's business at the end of the day (one of my favourite players is BAE as he freely admitted to this).
That's why my favourite players tend to be from pre-Bosman days when there could be a two-way loyalty between the player and the club. But from a strictly performance point of view, undoubtedly Bale is one of the best Spurs players, hence why I included him in my original list.
Indeed, I think everything you have said would have helped to improve those players apart from one thing salaries.
I think they had their feet firmly on the ground and knew how lucky they were to be playing football for a living. They earned a bit more than the average bloke, I think their carrot was a win bonus and they were not motivated by greed.
Could well be why most of the best players to ever lace up their boots played in the 60s,70s,and 80s.
They were cruelly underpaid though;

Bosman changed everything, no doubt. We went from a game where the clubs took advantage of the players, to a game where the players take advantage of the clubs.

Football has always been a particularly mercenary game.
Bosman didn't make people get paid more. It just stopped players being exploited beyond their contract.
Agents are the cancer that has wrecked the games wage and greed factor

So as an aside to this thread, if you could airdrop just ONE of our previous players, at their peak, into our current squad, who would you bring in?

I'd still say Ginola, as I think he represents some thing we have a space for in the squad, rather than a better play to fit a position we already have good key players in.

That seems to under-rate his contribution immensely. When he played for us, he was widely considered the best player on the team, including Greaves.
I have to be honest I am too young to have seen him play live, but the archive footage of him shows he was a player of his age, good for the standards of the day but appalling by modern standards. Greaves and Mackay stood out and you can see they were different. Hoddle also stood apart from mortal players in his day. If Hoddle was active now he would be at Real Madrid and the Spaniards would be creating a new religion around him. He would have made Zidane at his best clean his boots.

In my Spurs supporting lifetime Bale is the best player i've seen by far. The one player who could truly change a game and considering how poor he started his effort and will to succeed was second to none.
Honourable mentions to King (My favourite player by miles), Modric, Klinsmann, Kane & Berbatov.

Jimmy Greaves, no shadow of a doubt. How many points have we dropped because we haven't got someone who is ruthless in taking chances. I love Harry but even he would admit he's not in Jimmy's class - in fact, I don't think anyone gets close to his goals to games ratio.

Last edited:
Jimmy Greaves, no shadow of a doubt. How may points have we dropped because we haven't got someone who is ruthless in taking chances. I love Harry but even he would admit he's not in Jimmy's class - in fact, I don't think anyone gets close to his goals to games ratio.

In world football? He's not even in the top 10.

English football? Most likely. I can only imagine Dixie Dean running him close.

Though if you're just talking about Spurs, you're right. I doubt anyone will ever come close.

Jimmy Greaves, no shadow of a doubt. How many points have we dropped because we haven't got someone who is ruthless in taking chances. I love Harry but even he would admit he's not in Jimmy's class - in fact, I don't think anyone gets close to his goals to games ratio.
I agree although i always have rated Gilzean he was great for us

In no particular order and whom I've seen play bale. hoddle, waddle, gazza, archibald, rose king Toby Roberts Lineker Klinsmann Sheringham perryman

Kane and dele could join that list as could verrts and walker

Back
Top Bottom