Best players ever!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Started watching around 1990 so would be.

[formation=442, Lloris, Walker, Toby, King, Rose, Ginola, Gazza, Modric, Bale, Klinsmann, Sheringham][/formation]

I suppose if you go 4231 then

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Toby, King, Rose, Modric, Dembele, Ginola, Gazza, Bale, Klinsmann][/formation]

To go against the grain, I'd find it hard not to include Friedel in our squad, even as a 'sub'.

Very underrated for us.

Hard to compare the likes of Jennings to Lloris, as it's a completely different game to what they had to put up with back then.

99/2000 are really my earliest memories of football so my team would be.

Hugo
Walker Toby King Rose
Bale VDV Modric Ginola
Berba Kane

Subs:

Robbo
Jan
Carrick
Dembele
Eriksen
Keane
Defoe

Too early for Dele but he's head and shoulders ahead of any English talent we've had in this era at his age.

That team would walk the current premier league.

Players I have seen that were world class in their position - Greaves, Jennings, Hoddle, Gazza, Ginola, King ..... and Maradona! Sorry can't include the likes of Klinsmann, Bale and Modric, due to the manner in which they left.

I appreciate that Gazza, Klinnsman and Bale were more impactful players but there was something so magical about Ginola who lit up many an otherwise dire Saturday afternoon in the late 90s.

From a defensive point of view King was such a rock. Harking back to Ginola era it's hard not to appreciate Carr despite the farcical career decision he made to join Newcastle.

My Dad, who only started watching properly after the double winning side, would put Greaves, Ardiles and Hoddle in there too.

I appreciate that Gazza, Klinnsman and Bale were more impactful players but there was something so magical about Ginola who lit up many an otherwise dire Saturday afternoon in the late 90s.

From a defensive point of view King was such a rock. Harking back to Ginola era it's hard not to appreciate Carr despite the farcical career decision he made to join Newcastle.

My Dad, who only started watching properly after the double winning side, would put Greaves, Ardiles and Hoddle in there too.

I can't help but feel that Ginola is probably one of the best players we've had in a lilywhite shirt - he just had the misfortune of having to play in one of the worst teams we've had.

Imagine having 1999's Ginola in this squad now.

For the teens:

There's a definite 'back then' and 'now' split between many people's faves...

In no particular order - seeing as we're doing this;)

Players who I never saw play, but wish I had:
Jennings & Ditchburn (can't split the two, so won't try)
John White
Danny Blanchflower
Dave Mackay
'Martins' Chivers
& Peters
Jimmy Greaves

...and I wish i'd have seen Bill Nic in his managerial pomp!

Those who I saw with 'mine own two eyes':
Hoddle
Perryman
(Mr. Tottenham)
Roberts (not for skill, but a pure, unadulterated love for Spurs)
Ardiles
Danny Thomas
C.Allen
Waddle
Gough
Gascoigne
(without doubt the most gifted player - bar Hoddle - to pull on a Spurs shirt)
Gary 'The Boy Line-Acre' Lineker
Klinsmann
Campbell
(sorry!)
King
Ginola
Bale
Modric
VdV
Berbatov
(he still makes my heart skip a beat, even as recently as this afternoon!)

...and of the recent crop who are still here
;
Lloris (surely the best we've had since Jennings... I for one never warmed to Clemence!)
Rose & Walker / Toby & Jan (who, as two pairings, are fast becoming legendary members of the Spurs' defence)
Dier & Dele (without one, you don't have the other)
Kane (see 'Roberts' above... but add the ability!)

Actually... that's quite a list! I'm sure we could find a 'Best all-time Spurs XI' outta that lot!

My first ever visit to the Lane was 1977 (the year we got relegated) but 3 of the starters that day remain my 3 favourite Spurs players of all time - Jennings, Perryman and Hoddle! Jennings was just immense and a decent unassuming guy and is forgiven for who he left us for.......Perryman was just MR TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR and Hoddle just a genius, he scored on the first time I saw him and scored some amazing goals. Had plenty of talent to follow but they remain my top 3.

I thought this was a 'Best Players' thread, not necessarily favourites - I love Stevie P with every fibre of my being, but even I could never put him in as world class.

I thought this was a 'Best Players' thread, not necessarily favourites - I love Stevie P with every fibre of my being, but even I could never put him in as world class.
No one ever put in so much effort or tried so hard whilst wearing a spurs shirt so that gets him in my top 3. Yes it may be through rose (or lilywhite) tinted glasses but undoubtedly he was a more than useful centre midfielder, often underrated in the mould of a Wanyama or Kante. Every team needs one and we were lucky to have him!

No one ever put in so much effort or tried so hard whilst wearing a spurs shirt so that gets him in my top 3. Yes it may be through rose (or lilywhite) tinted glasses but undoubtedly he was a more than useful centre midfielder, often underrated in the mould of a Wanyama or Kante. Every team needs one and we were lucky to have him!
I totally agree, he would have bled navy and white, but still don't think he would make the first eleven of our best players (believe me, it really hurts me to type this)

Back
Top Bottom