Best players ever!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't help but feel that Ginola is probably one of the best players we've had in a lilywhite shirt - he just had the misfortune of having to play in one of the worst teams we've had.
Imagine having 1999's Ginola in this squad now.

Good point... but you could say the same thing about several players from when we weren't that great; King, VdV, Bale & Modric would all have thrived in Poch's Spurs of today!

Good point... but you could say the same thing about several players from when we weren't that great; King, VdV, Bale & Modric would all have thrived in Poch's Spurs of today!

Yet they were all in the same team at the same time. That squad was arguably better than our current one - Lennon on the right, at that time, was immense, BAE was excellent, Kaboul wasn't a useless sack of bungling shit, Sandro was decent etc.

real_madrids_luka_modric_r_celebrates_with_his_team_mate_gareth__175528.jpg

raw

Bale is the only current world class British player. I watched a showreel of his Spurs goals and they were all quality. He is up there with Hoddle and Gazza in terms of talent, although he is not so much an artist as a machine.
I think the manner in which he left is the reason Spurs fans are in two minds about him.
The only thing Bale left were glorious memories of a wonderful footballer, goals that we all dream of scoring, a man who made our club be noticed internationally, who won games almost single handedly, and thrilled us all with his skill and made us proud to support Spurs. He left us with 80 million in the bank and a profit of around 74 million.
Yeah we all have every right to exclude him from our dream teams as mark of protest, because he got pissed off waiting for Levy to agree a price. We all knew he was going so all the hyperbole at the time was meaningless.
I loved watching him in a Spurs shirt - and he played every game at full throttle. I would put him on any and every dream team of ex Spurs players.

The only thing Bale left were glorious memories of a wonderful footballer, goals that we all dream of scoring, a man who made our club be noticed internationally, who won games almost single handedly, and thrilled us all with his skill and made us proud to support Spurs. He left us with 80 million in the bank and a profit of around 74 million.
Yeah we all have every right to exclude him from our dream teams as mark of protest, because he got pissed off waiting for Levy to agree a price. We all knew he was going so all the hyperbole at the time was meaningless.
I loved watching him in a Spurs shirt - and he played every game at full throttle. I would put him on any and every dream team of ex Spurs players.
I don't think we did know he was going as Bale and his agent were not entirely truthful. Also, Bale refused to train.
This after we had stood by him as a club when he was really struggling in the early days and then built the side around him after he asked for us to do so - before promptly leaving.
So yes Bale helped Spurs, but Spurs helped make Bale a world class player, and ultimately treated the club as a stepping stone. That's the world we live in, and I put him in the best spurs players category, but I understand why some fans won't do so.

Last edited:
I don't think we did know he was going as Bale and his agent were not entirely truthful. Also, Bale refused to train.
This after we had stood by him as a club when he was really struggling in the early days and then built the side around him after he asked for us to do so - before promptly leaving.
So yes Bale helped Spurs, but Spurs helped make Bale a world class player, and ultimately treated the club as a stepping stone. That's the world we live in, and I put him in the best spurs players category, but I understand why some fans won't do so.
Do you have all that on good authority, or did you read it in the paper?
I'm guessing most of it is sour grapes because the nasty people stole our golden child.

I can start around 1980 , l was taken far earlier as a very little boy but Jennings ,
Chivers, Gilzean etc are just memories from bubble gum cards .
Hoddle , Gazza were the most talented
except for Bale . Nobody l have seen have continually destroyed teams on their own as the Welsh wizard.
Bale will never be a Spurs great due to
his messy self motivated move to Franco 's Tapas buying glory terrorist's.

hard one to pick the best player, been going since 1971 so seen a few, but I always feel the most influential player was Ossie, before Ossie came Hoddle was a good player, But I think playing with Ossie turned Glenn into a great player

Gascoigne by far. He was Modric, Dele, Dembele and more all in one. He was an absolutely stunning talent who was with us in his fearless and enthusiastic prime. He made Lineker and Stewart look like half competent strikers. A wonderful time to watch Spurs with fast attacking football, a meaningful trophy and rocking terraces - plus it came just before Sky ruined it for everyone.

Gascoigne by far. He was Modric, Dele, Dembele and more all in one. He was an absolutely stunning talent who was with us in his fearless and enthusiastic prime. He made Lineker and Stewart look like half competent strikers. A wonderful time to watch Spurs with fast attacking football, a meaningful trophy and rocking terraces - plus it came just before Sky ruined it for everyone.
Harsh on lineker

Do you have all that on good authority, or did you read it in the paper?
I'm guessing most of it is sour grapes because the nasty people stole our golden child.

Bale did refuse to train, this was confirmed and criticized by AVB in a press conference. Modric had pulled a similar stunt the summer before.
As for the accusation of being deceptive, Bale's agent sent out an email to a Spurs supporters organisation suggesting Bale was going to stay (whilst at the same time negotiating the Real Madrid move). I think someone posted it on here at the time. His agent was probably trying to have his cake and eat it, i.e. keep the Spurs fans happy in case the Madrid move didn't go through.
I'm under no illusions, it's business at the end of the day (one of my favourite players is BAE as he freely admitted to this).
That's why my favourite players tend to be from pre-Bosman days when there could be a two-way loyalty between the player and the club. But from a strictly performance point of view, undoubtedly Bale is one of the best Spurs players, hence why I included him in my original list.

Modric was something special.

Still remember going to a pre season friendly in his first season against Leyton Orient where Bent was on fire but Modric was unreal, had a slow start to the season when Ramos wasn't quite sure where to play him but when Redknapp came in the rest was history, loved playing the wonky with Modric on the left and Lennon in the right. He only got better and better each week.

I think Redknapp did a great job with those players. King was injured a lot of the time, VdV was good but his lack of pace limited his impact. But Bale and Modric were both world-class and largely responsible for why we did so well in the Champs League.
As for Poch doing a better job, I think his strength is working and developing youth players, so it is questionable whether he would have done a better job than Harry.

You could argue that Gazza was behind the whole "premier league" thing as Italia 90 changed perception of football in this country.

Alan Gilzean best header of the ball ever, great foil for Greaves and a doer Scot hard as nails like Mackay

And they had to play on unheated pitches that resembled beaches by February. Imagine those players with modern training, facilities, diets, medical support, pitches and salaries
Indeed, I think everything you have said would have helped to improve those players apart from one thing salaries.
I think they had their feet firmly on the ground and knew how lucky they were to be playing football for a living. They earned a bit more than the average bloke, I think their carrot was a win bonus and they were not motivated by greed.
Could well be why most of the best players to ever lace up their boots played in the 60s,70s,and 80s.

Back
Top Bottom