Best formation and tactics to beat Liverpool...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My bad for using the word “isn’t”.
But it’s definitely true that they dominated most of the games and opponents simply didn’t have an answer to counter.

My deeper point being we only need to concern ourselves with what we're capable of....

This year:

Shoulda won at Anfield.
Shoulda drawn at Wembley.

Last year:

Smashed 'em a Wembley
Drew at Anfield.

As long as we're on our defensive game, we needn't be fearful..... Back 4.... FBs & WFs tracking is key. Plenty of attacking options to hurt them.

Time to start believing (we have the comparatively easy job afterall). :tobyarm:

That’s the issue, Trippier has a performance in him but against Mane Maybe not, I would rather the pace and power of Aurier in that situation.

If anything Kane is the one out of our previously injured players we can hold on the bench. Winks is so much better than Dier and Waynama in midfield, Aurier has the ability in him on a good day to stop Mane, on the other hand with Kane we have Dele, Moura and Son, so we are ok if he doesn’t start IMO.

RB: My preference too, but knowing Poch I wouldn't rule out KT.

As for Harry, I tend to agree.... Can he last 90min at full pelt? ...If not, he's better deployed to exploit a tiring back line. Sub off whoever's not firing around 60mins.... That way he's still on if the game goes to pens too.

--------------------------------Lloris--------------------------------
-------------------------------Sissoko------------------------------
Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko
-----------------------Kane------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------Sissoko--------------------------

Might push one up from defence into midfield if we're struggling towards the end.
And I'd probably give Sissoko a floating rôle.

Interesting point that. Switching Toby right (he has played right back for Belgium) and bringing in Sanchez does potentially deal with the threat of Mane and Robertson better.

Lloris
Toby Sanchez Verts Rose
Sissoko Winks Eriksen
Dele
Moura Son

Toby Sanchez Vert Rose looks much more solid than Trippier Toby Verts Rose. Plus if we really need someone to lump balls into the box, Toby hoofs it up many times during a match.

I strongly disagree. We have an issue on the RB position to which we have number of solutions -
- play Trippier and instruct Sissoko to help him (most common this season)
- use Foyth there and hope he is up for it
- use Aurier there and hope he does not go all lose cannon there (very very unlikely, given that he has not played for long time and is extremely hit and miss player).

But what you guys are suggesting is that in order to fix a problem in RB position, we should create a new problem in CB position. Jan and Toby is a very good pair of CBs. They have good understanding between themselves and they are without a doubt best option. Sanchez this season has regressed badly. He have made so many errors leading to goal. Why should we put him on in game of such magnitude? I don't get it.

We should focus on finding solution to a problem. Not try to create a new one.

I can't leave out either Son or Moura and Kane, if fit. Sissoko is a must so I went with this.
Eriksen deeper so he can affect the game more with his passing due to his having a bit more space and Dele behind Kane so he can do his runs into the box, flicks etc.

Not sure on whether it should be a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-1-1

Lloris
Tripps Toby Jan Rose
Sissoko Eriksen
Son Dele Moura
Kane

On paper, Pochettino always line up with a 4-2-3-1 when he is not using a back 3.

However, due to the fluidity of his tactics, when in possession, the formation shifted to 4-4-2 diamond.
In this attacking stance, Sissoko and Winks will pair as a pivot to spring the attack. This works well for us so far as Winks can put himself in good position to spray passes and dictate the tempo of the game. Sissoko is good at making incisive run and is hard to mark from midfield.

This formation is extremely useful against teams that likes to press high. There will be spaces in the opposition that Sissoko can exploit during transition. While Sissoko is not a finisher at all, he has lots of option in front of him, eg., Eriksen to make incisive passes/through balls, Dele Alli as a shallow striker to make runs in behind the defenders, Kane who can hold up ball, Son for his trickery and pace.

That is why we are such a force when everyone is fit and fighting. One eg., is how we demolished Dortmund. However, injuries decimated a lot of our options this season and that is why we struggled towards the end of the season. Pochettino has to improvised ways to overcome our opponents and with abit of luck and “never say die” spirit, we are in the finals!

Gotta play Llorente. We are absolutely terrible playing it out from the back. Every team in the prem knows that we cant beat a decent press and with their attacking line up we will get slaughtered if thats the way we go. Playing it off Nando with moura and deli pushed high gives them a real problem to think about. Its not the prettiest but given the resources at our disposal I honestly feel its the only way. Sucks for sonny but hes on the bench for me.
“Given the resources at our disposal”
:vertna:
Mate you realise that barring any training injuries, we should have a fully fit squad. We aren’t terrible at playing it out from the back when we have a fully fit squad we are actually quite good at it.

Yeah I do realise that and I think that they have their strengths but beating a high press isn't one of them. Sounds obvious but were fucking great at playing out when not being pressed, or when teams abandon it to either protect a lead or because they dont have the energy to keep it up (and i think liverpool have been very susceptible to that in some games.) Our back line look like they're shitting themselves every time they face it. I dont trust them to do it. we dont have the players, especially on the right and i hate to say it, Hugo. (although winks playing would be a massive plus, he treats the ball like its his last fiver). with their front three if we keep losing it there, we will pay the price.

I'm certain poch will start with it, we'll go at least a goal down and then he'll change it and we'll win so its all good.

re: Aggressive, high opposition press:

Liverpool aren't anywhere near as aggressive this season.

However, we got 4 points from them when they were the year before; including a 4-1 slaughter, at Wembley.

The same season, beating BVB 3-1 (H), 2-1 (A) and 3-0 & 1-0 this year; a team that seemingly know little other than to press.

It's not clear from above what your prefered approach is, but we're a versatile team. We have our own strengths in our own right that we can, and arguably should be looking to impose on them.

Score more goals! Seems to do the trick most of the time though Man.city and Ajax may not agree but hey ho......
VD9eeLo.jpg

---------------Lloris----------------
-KR -------TA------JV----------DR
---Sissoko---Winks---Eriksen--
------Moura---Kane---Son----

I love Ali, but it's been well documented that Liverpool's fullbacks are the main threat. The best way to stop them? To get them worried about what's running in behind them and I can't think of many better than Son and Moura to do that.

As for the midfield 3, we need players who will be best at bypassing their midfield press. Dele is a fantastic player, but his game isn't about receiving the ball deep with his back to goal and breaking away from trouble.

Fully expect Dele to start.

Liverpool, together with Man City, are two of the best team in Europe right now. I have been looking at some of their matches and there isn’t a game where they didn’t dominate and win.

I can think of a few that we featured in, let alone matches where both teams either struggled or lost.

Liverpool: WH, Leicester, City, CL away ties + Spurs x 2
City: Check the loss column, CL away ties, Swansea FAC + Spurs x 3

An illustration how we can break Liverpool pressing:

Eg., Everton vs Spurs. We played 4-2-3-1 which shifted to a 4-4-2 diamond when attacking. In this game, Winks and Sissoko combined effectively tgr to score our second goal.

1) Image below shows Everton pressing high up the pitch.

whznys.jpg

Winks passes the ball into the path of Sissoko who makes the run into the empty spaces in front of him.

2) Sissoko plays a 1-2 with Dele, effective cutting through Everton midfield who are mostly still covering back lost ground.

2ljmgyc.jpg

3) Sissoko then threads a through ball to Son who manages to shoot on target, GK saving it and then Dele taps in the rebound.

8x51j9.jpg

Winks + Sissoko partnership will be crucial in the UCL final assuming Wink is fit to play.

Interesting point that. Switching Toby right (he has played right back for Belgium) and bringing in Sanchez does potentially deal with the threat of Mane and Robertson better.

Lloris
Toby Sanchez Verts Rose
Sissoko Winks Eriksen
Dele
Moura Son
Toby Sanchez Vert Rose looks much more solid than Trippier Toby Verts Rose. Plus if we really need someone to lump balls into the box, Toby hoofs it up many times during a match.

Lloris
Toby Sanchez Verts Rose
Sissoko Winks Eriksen
Dele
Moura Son
I haven't been impressed with Sanchez this season (after a very encouraging one last season).

If Aurier is fit then his pace edges it for me. Just FFS tell him to stay on his feet.

KWP just hasnt had the game time. If he'd had 7-8 PL starts a season, say 15-16 in all, then he'd be an option. But I think they'd target him and also physically he gets bullied by the oppo.

There's another alternative, Dier at Right Back. He's no slouch and he plays much better when the game is in front him. Still think he's good enough CB to take Toby;s place if he leaves.

Trippier had a decent second half 2nd leg against Ajax. Agree he’s due a good game.

Doesn’t matter too much anyway as the game will be won and lost in midfield. If Klopp does the obvious, he’ll make them play a press, target Trippier and shut down Eriksen.

If Sissoko has the game of his life we win. Everyone else just needs to do their thing

Predictions mean sh!t.

Thr first thing is that Pochettino trusts the medics and the players if they declare themselves fit.

Next is that Liverpool have the single best defender and all in all we have the best front man.

The midfield are on a par in my opinion, with ours slightly more creative and their overall defence a touch more potent going forward.

Maybe small margins but we are good enough to beat Liverpool and that's not just a matter of 'on our day' but because we are.

3 week's rest helps us more than them but we shall see.

Best tactics to win. Outscore them but please no penalties.

I guess I could understand where you are coming from but your end product imo is wrong however you arrived to it. Son is one devastating offensive unit that will require much defensive effort from the opposition every time he touches the ball. He can dribble by you or down the line for a cross or pick pass to a runner or pass and run in himself. He can shoot from outside in a split second with right or left. I could go on and on but I'll save it bc I'm sure its been said hundreds of times here. Not starting Son hence significantly limiting his playing time in this final, which I highly doubt will happen, would be the biggest favor you could do for the liverpool and their chance for the CL title. But hey if you want to be avant garde or banter till death this is the place, so I don't mind. Coys!

Fuck..

We need to start Son.

Back
Top Bottom