Best formation and tactics to beat Liverpool...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pochettino tried to play 5-3-2 at Anfield this year but were overran in the first half.

This is the first goal:
6okao2.jpg

Action prior to the goal:
1) Liverpool presses high and we opted to pass the ball back to Lloris who hit the ball high up.

2) Liverpool won it back and by now, they were overcrowding our left side.

3) Vertonghen pushes up to mark Salah. This left up gaps where Mane, Firmino are looking to run into spaces behind their marker from the half spaces.

4) Robertson pushes up and Henderson picks him up.

5) Robertson floats the ball in and Firmino scores with a free header. (Vertonghen didn’t have time to apply more pressure on Firmino due to him readjusting his position again).

This is indeed worrying if we couldn’t find a strategy to counteract this tactic.

Has to be 4-2-3-1 and just match them up. Push high on their fullbacks, stop easy out ball. If we play 3 at the back or the diamond we will get dubbed. Winks will play with sissoko as winks is now in full training, I'm sure of that for balance. Dele off kane then eriksen and one of son/moura. Moura is in much better form. As somebody has stated, our fullbacks have to stay in shape and support from behind, dont need them bombing on

If I was down to me I'd be playing a 4-2-3-1

Lloris
Aurier
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Winks
Sissoko
Dele
Eriksen
Son/Lucas
Kane

A little harsh on Wanyama but if Winks is fit I can't see Wanyama or Dier being picked ahead of him. I think the team picks itself apart from the discussed Winks/ Wanyama situation, who starts at RB and who Pochettino goes for when it comes to Sonny or Lucas.

The Sonny/ Lucas problem is one I go for based on who's hotter in training. If Sonny is belting them in from all angles like his purple streak can produce it'll probably be him but if it it how it was towards the end of the season I'm going for Lucas.

Bench options:

Gazzaniga
Trippier
Sanchez
Foyth
Davies
Wanyama
Dier
Skipp
Lamela
Son/ Lucas
Llorente
Vorm/ KWP

Stick Vorm on the bench as a 3rd goalkeeper just because any other 12th choice, someone like Marsh wouldn't be getting a look in at any stage so stick Mich on there as we'd have nothing to lose doing so. It's him or KWP

Win the European Cup, head up to N17 on the nightbus and stay up there boozing until the victory parade happens a couple of days later. Stick a fork in that one!

I haven’t really been on this forum this season but is the love / preference for Aurier a new thing??!

Yes Trips has had a shocker this season.

But after terrible first halves in 2nd leg games at City and Ajax he did well in both second halves, so there is still a player left in there somewhere!

I can’t picture Aurier kicking a ball since his karate kick clearance gave Burnley a goal, so I’d be very surprised if He started over Trips.

It’s an easy one for me, we go with the system that we’ve had most success with which is 4231. Everyone knows their role in that shape and it’s well balanced. The only real question is whether it’s Son or Lucas in attack, because there isn’t room for both.

Lloris
Trippier Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose
Sissoko Winks
Eriksen Dele Son
Kane

I think that’s our best and most balanced team. It’s harsh to leave Lucas out after his hat trick but for me he still doesn’t make our first XI when everyone is fit. We play our best football with Son, Dele and Eriksen supporting Kane and it’s not worth compromising our midfield to fit him in. Son is a better player and over the course of the season has done much more to earn a start than Lucas.

Aurier is faster and stronger than Trippier.
This is a bit of a myth though in reality. Aurier may be stronger than Trippier but he is by no means faster. In fact I've been shocked at how slow as shit he's looked since joining. Mané and/or Robertson would burn Aurier for pace just as easily as Trippier.

Don't get me wrong I think Tripps is crap as well, but he's more intelligent, his positioning is better and if I was in Poch's shoes I think I'd have more trust in him to play in the biggest game in our history, and give him the nod.

This is a bit of a myth though in reality. Aurier may be stronger than Trippier but he is by no means faster. In fact I've been shocked at how slow as shit he's looked since joining. Mané and/or Robertson would burn Aurier for pace just as easily as Trippier.

Don't get me wrong I think Tripps is crap as well, but he's more intelligent, his positioning is better and if I was in Poch's shoes I think I'd have more trust in him to play in the biggest game in our history, and give him the nod.

I don't think there is any proof that Trippier's positioning is better or more intelligent than Aurier.

In fact, most of the goals conceded via Trippier errors this season have been due to his complete lack of intelligence and awful positioning. We conceded 3 goals against Ajax. All of them were down to either Trippier being stupid or being positioned poorly.

If Trippier plays, it's because Pochettino feels he can offer something either from set pieces or one of his 50 crosses may hit the target - not because of his defensive ability.

Hugo
Aurier / Toby / Jan / Rose
Eriksen / Winks / Sissoko
Lucas / Dele / Son

Pull whoever's least effective and go 4231 with Kane up top and go for the throat.

Interesting comments... to summarise what have been discussed:

1) A back four with a more conservative fullbacks are preferred.

2) We need a more dynamic defensive midfield duo to counter Liverpool pressing. Eg., Sissoko + Winks (if fit).

3) We need to penalise Liverpool for their high pressing line and threaten their attacking fullbacks frequently.

4) Trippier vs Aurier... there is a mix of opinion here. Trippier isn’t as pacy and dynamic as Aurier. But Aurier is lacking match fitness and is prone to brain fart. Can be risky to play him when Salad is always looking to fly inside the penalty box. While I believe we can all agree that Aurier is the preferred choice if he is fit, it is all too much of a risk to play him there now.

5) Attacking liverpool weakness - Matip. Ideally, if Kane is fit enough to last the whole game, Kane will fancy his chances against Matip. Essentially, Pochettino game plan must revolve around creating enough opportunities for their defence to make mistakes and we need to be clinical about it.

Last edited:
They attack down the flanks from their full backs, play son and moura and drop dele alli.

Kane

Son Eriksen Moura

Winks Sissoko

A bit controversial granted but he hasn't really looked that good during the run in. He is a big game player though... Hmmmm

Son and Moura could pin their fullbacks in their own half more than if we played with less pacy players. They would also have to be aware of the countered counter (lol). If they bomb forward, it would only take one interception from our players, a through ball and Son or Moura are in on goal.

That would be on their minds every time they cross the hall way line.
No chance we can drop Dele Alli.

Hugo
Aurier / Toby / Jan / Rose
Eriksen / Winks / Sissoko
Lucas / Dele / Son

Pull whoever's least effective and go 4231 with Kane up top and go for the throat.

I like this. It is close to what I'd do as well.

Four at the back and overload midfield. We're only trying to win by a single goal, what we need is some control of the game. More bodies in midfield means our fullbacks don't always have to supply the width meaning they don't get stranded so much. Cut the supply to the wings as early as possible from our forward players. If they get past that point picking out their FBs on our wings then we're fucked because we don't handle those situations well defensively.

Kane is a game changer and if he can play 90 minutes plus extra time then I would play him from the start. But assuming he can't then I'd play Dele in a false 9 position with Son and Moura providing pace on the wings. It's sort of a midfield 433 I really think this set up would cause Liverpool problems and there is defense and good work ethic in the team all the way from the front back which is going to matter because Liverpool are great at attacking. In central midfield we avoid having two players getting pulled into the wings and finding ourselves short in the middle, because we we have an extra man there.

I just see this allowing us to suffocate their attack at root and at the same time allows us to do what we're best at, attacking.

Lloris
Tripper, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose
Sissoko, Winks, Eriksen,
Moura, Dele, Son

I can't leave out either Son or Moura and Kane, if fit. Sissoko is a must so I went with this.
Eriksen deeper so he can affect the game more with his passing due to his having a bit more space and Dele behind Kane so he can do his runs into the box, flicks etc.

Not sure on whether it should be a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-1-1

Lloris
Tripps Toby Jan Rose
Sissoko Eriksen
Son Dele Moura
Kane

On paper, Pochettino always line up with a 4-2-3-1 when he is not using a back 3.

However, due to the fluidity of his tactics, when in possession, the formation shifted to 4-4-2 diamond.
In this attacking stance, Sissoko and Winks will pair as a pivot to spring the attack. This works well for us so far as Winks can put himself in good position to spray passes and dictate the tempo of the game. Sissoko is good at making incisive run and is hard to mark from midfield.

This formation is extremely useful against teams that likes to press high. There will be spaces in the opposition that Sissoko can exploit during transition. While Sissoko is not a finisher at all, he has lots of option in front of him, eg., Eriksen to make incisive passes/through balls, Dele Alli as a shallow striker to make runs in behind the defenders, Kane who can hold up ball, Son for his trickery and pace.

That is why we are such a force when everyone is fit and fighting. One eg., is how we demolished Dortmund. However, injuries decimated a lot of our options this season and that is why we struggled towards the end of the season. Pochettino has to improvised ways to overcome our opponents and with abit of luck and “never say die” spirit, we are in the finals!
how we demolished Dortmund?

we definitely beat them, but it wasn't a demolition, the first game was pretty even (despite the goals) and in the second it was a backs to the wall job, with one shot on target.

job done, but to suggest it was a walk in the park is reaching a little

“Given the resources at our disposal”
:vertna:
Mate you realise that barring any training injuries, we should have a fully fit squad. We aren’t terrible at playing it out from the back when we have a fully fit squad we are actually quite good at it.

Yeah I do realise that and I think that they have their strengths but beating a high press isn't one of them. Sounds obvious but were fucking great at playing out when not being pressed, or when teams abandon it to either protect a lead or because they dont have the energy to keep it up (and i think liverpool have been very susceptible to that in some games.) Our back line look like they're shitting themselves every time they face it. I dont trust them to do it. we dont have the players, especially on the right and i hate to say it, Hugo. (although winks playing would be a massive plus, he treats the ball like its his last fiver). with their front three if we keep losing it there, we will pay the price.

I'm certain poch will start with it, we'll go at least a goal down and then he'll change it and we'll win so its all good.

how we demolished Dortmund?

we definitely beat them, but it wasn't a demolition, the first game was pretty even (despite the goals) and in the second it was a backs to the wall job, with one shot on target.

job done, but to suggest it was a walk in the park is reaching a little

We demolished Dortmund in the second half at Wembley. If u watch the game closely, you will realise that we press high aggressively during second half. Dortmund couldn’t cope with this at all and kept conceding chances after chances.

First half Dortmund was slightly better but that’s because we allowed them to. Pochettino knew we could not press them for 90 min (fatigue and injuries taking its toll) and a change in the second half does the job.

I am sure Poch will have a plan. Issue with a Liverpool has never been the overall game, we where stronger in both the second halves of our defeats this season, it’s more stopping Liverpool’s fast start.

Liverpool advantages

1 Overall a stronger squad with a few exceptional individual performances this season.

2 A clear standard way of playing to maximise each player.

3 Brilliant form in the final months of the season.

Tottenham Advantages

1 First time perhaps all season we have a fully fit team.

2 3-4 weeks rest should push form out of the window, if it was just 1 week after the season it would matter but not now.

3 Poch seems more tactically adaptive than Klopp. Klopp makes changes when he has to such as injures, we know how Klopp will play. Poch is more likely to have surprises and 3-4 weeks of planning should give us quite a few.

I am sure Poch will have a plan. Issue with a Liverpool has never been the overall game, we where stronger in both the second halves of our defeats this season, it’s more stopping Liverpool’s fast start.

Liverpool advantages

1 Overall a stronger squad with a few exceptional individual performances this season.

2 A clear standard way of playing to maximise each player.

3 Brilliant form in the final months of the season.

Tottenham Advantages

1 First time perhaps all season we have a fully fit team.

2 3-4 weeks rest should push form out of the window, if it was just 1 week after the season it would matter but not now.

3 Poch seems more tactically adaptive than Klopp. Klopp makes changes when he has to such as injures, we know how Klopp will play. Poch is more likely to have surprises and 3-4 weeks of planning should give us quite a few.

4. The Dippers don’t normally do well after a break and need momentum after a few games!

5 a side in Marbella won’t cut it so press the fuck out of them right from the off

Make history boys as the whole football world outside Bootle wants us to win !!

We can't play both, it'd leave us to open in midfield. Lucas is the form player. Drop him to the bench and that sends a bad message. If Kane is fit he has to start.

It'll be a tough decision whatever the outcome. Having either Son or Lucas off the bench is a big boost nevertheless.
I guess I could understand where you are coming from but your end product imo is wrong however you arrived to it. Son is one devastating offensive unit that will require much defensive effort from the opposition every time he touches the ball. He can dribble by you or down the line for a cross or pick pass to a runner or pass and run in himself. He can shoot from outside in a split second with right or left. I could go on and on but I'll save it bc I'm sure its been said hundreds of times here. Not starting Son hence significantly limiting his playing time in this final, which I highly doubt will happen, would be the biggest favor you could do for the liverpool and their chance for the CL title. But hey if you want to be avant garde or banter till death this is the place, so I don't mind. Coys!

Back
Top Bottom