Best formation and tactics to beat Liverpool...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like this. It is close to what I'd do as well.

Four at the back and overload midfield. We're only trying to win by a single goal, what we need is some control of the game. More bodies in midfield means our fullbacks don't always have to supply the width meaning they don't get stranded so much. Cut the supply to the wings as early as possible from our forward players. If they get past that point picking out their FBs on our wings then we're fucked because we don't handle those situations well defensively.

Kane is a game changer and if he can play 90 minutes plus extra time then I would play him from the start. But assuming he can't then I'd play Dele in a false 9 position with Son and Moura providing pace on the wings. It's sort of a midfield 433 I really think this set up would cause Liverpool problems and there is defense and good work ethic in the team all the way from the front back which is going to matter because Liverpool are great at attacking. In central midfield we avoid having two players getting pulled into the wings and finding ourselves short in the middle, because we we have an extra man there.

I just see this allowing us to suffocate their attack at root and at the same time allows us to do what we're best at, attacking.

Lloris
Tripper, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose
Sissoko, Winks, Eriksen,
Moura, Dele, Son
Completely agree, although I hope Kane can get up to speed as I think he could be the difference.

--------------------------------Lloris--------------------------------
-------------------------------Sissoko------------------------------
Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko
-----------------------Kane------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------Sissoko--------------------------

Might push one up from defence into midfield if we're struggling towards the end.
And I'd probably give Sissoko a floating rôle.

--------------------------------Lloris--------------------------------
-------------------------------Sissoko------------------------------
Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko-Sissoko
-----------------------Kane------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------Sissoko--------------------------

Might push one up from defence into midfield if we're struggling towards the end.
And I'd probably give Sissoko a floating rôle.

Evidently Blakey is yeterday's man..... Rocket got shit covered from now on.

I shall await your player ratings page.

I see a lot of people including Winks, where is it suggested he will be fit?
Have I missed something?

I guess there’s a general consensus that Wink + Sissoko pairing will be ideal in our game against Liverpool. There is also this possibility that Winks may feature.

If we are without Winks, I think Dele Alli can do the job too...but that would also means someone else has to mark Fabiano

Hugo
Aurier / Toby / Jan / Rose
Eriksen / Winks / Sissoko
Lucas / Dele / Son

Pull whoever's least effective and go 4231 with Kane up top and go for the throat.
If Aurier isnt ready, I wouldnt mind even someone like Sanchez or Foyth at RB. Playing Trippier again after just how bad he has been all season and expecting different results would be silly.

If Aurier isnt ready, I wouldnt mind even someone like Sanchez or Foyth at RB. Playing Trippier again after just how bad he has been all season and expecting different results would be silly.
My thoughts exactly. In our CL runhe has consistently cost us goals, playing him again is just insanity.

However foyth is not ready for this game at all so if it isn’t aurier it has to be him :pochsulk:

Interesting point that. Switching Toby right (he has played right back for Belgium) and bringing in Sanchez does potentially deal with the threat of Mane and Robertson better.

Lloris
Toby Sanchez Verts Rose
Sissoko Winks Eriksen
Dele
Moura Son

Interesting point that. Switching Toby right (he has played right back for Belgium) and bringing in Sanchez does potentially deal with the threat of Mane and Robertson better.

Lloris
Toby Sanchez Verts Rose
Sissoko Winks Eriksen
Dele
Moura Son
Toby Sanchez Vert Rose looks much more solid than Trippier Toby Verts Rose. Plus if we really need someone to lump balls into the box, Toby hoofs it up many times during a match.

Toby Sanchez Vert Rose looks much more solid than Trippier Toby Verts Rose. Plus if we really need someone to lump balls into the box, Toby hoofs it up many times during a match.

Hoof is increasingly becoming the new black.

Footy purists run for cover..... :dempsey2:

Lloris
Toby Sanchez Verts Rose
Sissoko Winks Eriksen
Dele
Moura Son
I haven't been impressed with Sanchez this season (after a very encouraging one last season).

If Aurier is fit then his pace edges it for me. Just FFS tell him to stay on his feet.

KWP just hasnt had the game time. If he'd had 7-8 PL starts a season, say 15-16 in all, then he'd be an option. But I think they'd target him and also physically he gets bullied by the oppo.

There's another alternative, Dier at Right Back. He's no slouch and he plays much better when the game is in front him. Still think he's good enough CB to take Toby;s place if he leaves.

I can imagine Klopp being very confident for this game, tell the players they should have won the league, they are all world class and just go out there and enjoy the game as they deserve the win and to be champions of europe, this will be there downfall!

Lloris
Toby Sanchez Verts Rose
Sissoko Winks Eriksen
Dele
Moura Son

I strongly disagree. We have an issue on the RB position to which we have number of solutions -
- play Trippier and instruct Sissoko to help him (most common this season)
- use Foyth there and hope he is up for it
- use Aurier there and hope he does not go all lose cannon there (very very unlikely, given that he has not played for long time and is extremely hit and miss player).

But what you guys are suggesting is that in order to fix a problem in RB position, we should create a new problem in CB position. Jan and Toby is a very good pair of CBs. They have good understanding between themselves and they are without a doubt best option. Sanchez this season has regressed badly. He have made so many errors leading to goal. Why should we put him on in game of such magnitude? I don't get it.

We should focus on finding solution to a problem. Not try to create a new one.

I strongly disagree. We have an issue on the RB position to which we have number of solutions -
- play Trippier and instruct Sissoko to help him (most common this season)
- use Foyth there and hope he is up for it
- use Aurier there and hope he does not go all lose cannon there (very very unlikely, given that he has not played for long time and is extremely hit and miss player).

But what you guys are suggesting is that in order to fix a problem in RB position, we should create a new problem in CB position. Jan and Toby is a very good pair of CBs. They have good understanding between themselves and they are without a doubt best option. Sanchez this season has regressed badly. He have made so many errors leading to goal. Why should we put him on in game of such magnitude? I don't get it.

We should focus on finding solution to a problem. Not try to create a new one.

Trippier has been a total mess this season, then the only option is Aurier. The idea of having Trippier facing Mane and Robertson in a CL final is a nightmare with his positional sense and lack of pace.

Say what you want about Sanchez, his season hasn’t been as good as previous but he is better than Trippier and Toby is a good right back. Not saying it’s the solution but it’s still far better than Trippier at RB against a quick Liverpool side.

For me it’s either Aurier or Toby at RB, might as well give Liverpool a 1-0 start if your going to play Trippier in such a game.

Trippier has been a total mess this season, then the only option is Aurier. The idea of having Trippier facing Mane and Robertson in a CL final is a nightmare with his positional sense and lack of pace.

Say what you want about Sanchez, his season hasn’t been as good as previous but he is better than Trippier and Toby is a good right back. Not saying it’s the solution but it’s still far better than Trippier at RB against a quick Liverpool side.

For me it’s either Aurier or Toby at RB, might as well give Liverpool a 1-0 start if your going to play Trippier in such a game.

I agree that Trippier has been generally really bad this season. And as general point of view, I think we should dispose both - him and Aurier and keep KWP/Foyth as 2nd pick and buy a new RB in summer.

But that being said this "Trippier is lacking pace and positional sense" - really the same goes for Aurier. Some here tend to describe him almost like Walker in his prime. While in fact I tend to agree that he is hardly faster then Trippier. In his very rare occasions he has played, his lack of pace has been a negative surprise. And regarding his positional sense / decision making... well I'd be damned- he is a Russian roulette equivalent of footballer. Rash tackles and wrong positioning could be as well be his middle names (the latter also applies for Trippier this season I agree).

So we basically have 2 fullbacks that have some serious downsides in Tripps and Aurier. Only one has hell lot of more game practice and understanding with teammates then the other. Auriers last game was on 23.02.2019. 3 months and 1 week before the final game...

I personally would most rather see Foyth filling the position tbh. But whatever pick it will be, it will NOT be worth it to demolish one of our undoubtable strongpoints in CB.

Going to burn with pride whoever takes the field.

Lloris
Trippier Toby Jan Rose
Winks Sissoko
Dele Eriksen Moura
Son.

Trippier over aurier; he owes us a good 90 mins. Aurier hasnt had enough gametime.
I like Davies, but Rose has been up for it past few times hes played.
I fucking hope Winks is fit.
Kane to come on as super sub. Hes been out for a while and didnt look 100% after coming back from the last lay off.
Think the rest of squad picks itself.

Feel free to shred my opinion.

I can't leave out either Son or Moura and Kane, if fit. Sissoko is a must so I went with this.
Eriksen deeper so he can affect the game more with his passing due to his having a bit more space and Dele behind Kane so he can do his runs into the box, flicks etc.

Not sure on whether it should be a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-1-1

Lloris
Tripps Toby Jan Rose
Sissoko Eriksen
Son Dele Moura
Kane

Back
Top Bottom