Best formation and tactics to beat Liverpool...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My deeper point being we only need to concern ourselves with what we're capable of....

This year:

Shoulda won at Anfield.
Shoulda drawn at Wembley.

Last year:

Smashed 'em a Wembley
Drew at Anfield.

As long as we're on our defensive game, we needn't be fearful..... Back 4.... FBs & WFs tracking is key. Plenty of attacking options to hurt them.

Time to start believing (we have the comparatively easy job afterall). :tobyarm:
I totally agree, the one thing that scares me in this regard though is Trippier. He really has been our most shocking defender this season, I don't know that he has a top class defensive performance in him this season.

Really hope Poch just takes a chance on Aurier.

I totally agree, the one thing that scares me in this regard though is Trippier. He really has been our most shocking defender this season, I don't know that he has a top class defensive performance in him this season.

Really hope Poch just takes a chance on Aurier.

Generally agree, but KT has a performance in him (and equally we've seen Serge has a brainfart in him too)...

Half the prob IMO is KT doesn't have the pace for recovery runs.... If he just plays a bit more like the a conventional RB he might not find himself stranded so much.... One way or another we can't let Mane have the freedom of the flank.

We must keep the faith with whoever plays.

Generally agree, but KT has a performance in him (and equally we've seen Serge has a brainfart in him too)...

Half the prob IMO is KT doesn't have the pace for recovery runs.... If he just plays a bit more like the a conventional RB he might not find himself stranded so much.... One way or another we can't let Mane have the freedom of the flank.

For me whoever has got us to the final or done well up to this point, all of that is out of the window. It's down to who looks best, sharpish and most switched on in the 3 weeks building up to this game. I'd prefer Aurier, purely because of his athleticism but equally I appreciate that we've beaten bookies favourites head to head against us in both Man City & Ajax with Trippier holding his own so as you said, whoever takes to the field come 1st June just support the boys and know they've got a chance, a genuine chance at winning the whole thing

If I was down to me I'd be playing a 4-2-3-1

Lloris
Aurier
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Winks
Sissoko
Dele
Eriksen
Son/Lucas
Kane

A little harsh on Wanyama but if Winks is fit I can't see Wanyama or Dier being picked ahead of him. I think the team picks itself apart from the discussed Winks/ Wanyama situation, who starts at RB and who Pochettino goes for when it comes to Sonny or Lucas.

The Sonny/ Lucas problem is one I go for based on who's hotter in training. If Sonny is belting them in from all angles like his purple streak can produce it'll probably be him but if it it how it was towards the end of the season I'm going for Lucas.

Bench options:

Gazzaniga
Trippier
Sanchez
Foyth
Davies
Wanyama
Dier
Skipp
Lamela
Son/ Lucas
Llorente
Vorm/ KWP

Stick Vorm on the bench as a 3rd goalkeeper just because any other 12th choice, someone like Marsh wouldn't be getting a look in at any stage so stick Mich on there as we'd have nothing to lose doing so. It's him or KWP

Win the European Cup, head up to N17 on the nightbus and stay up there boozing until the victory parade happens a couple of days later. Stick a fork in that one!

That’s the issue, Trippier has a performance in him but against Mane Maybe not, I would rather the pace and power of Aurier in that situation.

If anything Kane is the one out of our previously injured players we can hold on the bench. Winks is so much better than Dier and Waynama in midfield, Aurier has the ability in him on a good day to stop Mane, on the other hand with Kane we have Dele, Moura and Son, so we are ok if he doesn’t start IMO.

Judging on Poch's selections, Trippier will play. He must be instructed to not go forward and get out of position during the first half.

I would tend to agree, but I really wonder if Trippier was doing that specifically on Poch's direction. I think it was ridiculous and caused us nothing but problems and I cannot imagine that if he was just doing that on his own that Poch wouldn't have corrected it, either during the halftime or from the sidelines.

That’s the issue, Trippier has a performance in him but against Mane Maybe not, I would rather the pace and power of Aurier in that situation.

If anything Kane is the one out of our previously injured players we can hold on the bench. Winks is so much better than Dier and Waynama in midfield, Aurier has the ability in him on a good day to stop Mane, on the other hand with Kane we have Dele, Moura and Son, so we are ok if he doesn’t start IMO.

RB: My preference too, but knowing Poch I wouldn't rule out KT.

As for Harry, I tend to agree.... Can he last 90min at full pelt? ...If not, he's better deployed to exploit a tiring back line. Sub off whoever's not firing around 60mins.... That way he's still on if the game goes to pens too.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't start Trippier - he's kept the faith with him so much this season but surely he's at least considering Aurier.

Its a tricky one as both are quite close to each other in their ability to have a mistake in them but against a side with so much pace in them, I fear the worst everytime Trippier gets beaten.... Which he undoubtedly will do.

Aurier's pace at least means when he's beaten he has a fighting chance of getting back and making a challenge - with KT, once he's been passed, that's it, there's no coming back for him.

If he does play KT then he has to tell him to stop going down so easily and whining if he gets beaten with a bit of physicality.

Argghhh - Trippier or Aurier is robably the hardest decision if everyone wins their fight to get fit.

As for Harry, I tend to agree.... Can he last 90min at full pelt? ...If not, he's better deployed to exploit a tiring back line. Sub off whoever's not firing around 60mins.... That way he's still on if the game goes to pens too.
Hate to agree but it’s true, we can only start Kane if he really can go the distance. I wouldn’t put it past him being that fit though.

He is an animal when it comes to fitness and this is a CL final. I reckon he will be doing anything he can to pass all the fitness tests.

Liverpool, together with Man City, are two of the best team in Europe right now. I have been looking at some of their matches and there isn’t a game where they didn’t dominate and win.

I have sort of concluded the following:

Liverpool‘s style
1) Gegenpressing - This year, they have improved on their high octane pressing style with every players understanding exactly how to press as a team. Many teams have struggled to handle this, especially at Anfield. Lesser teams have sought to play deeply and surrender possession while those bigger clubs tried counter pressing and usually conceded more goals against Liverpool than they can score.

2) Use of offensive fullback. Both Robertson and T Arnold each has double digit number of assist this year. Both likes to roam forward and can support attacking plays or press high when they are without possession.

3) Firmino acting as a false nine to support Salah and Mane. Firmino can draw out defenders to him and in the process free up room for Salah and Mane to run into the spaces created. This strategy has created tonnes of goals for them this year. If Firmino is left unmarked, he has the ability to shoot accurately from distance or pick up telling passes that leads to dangerous situations.

4)Low drilled crosses into the penalty box for tap ins. Henderson/Wijnaldum can combine effectively with the fullbacks to overload the flank, leading to opportunities to drill low cross into the box. This has also contributed to the numbers of goals they scored this year.

5) Solid overall defensive pillar in the likes of Van Dijk supported by Fabiano. Before Van Dijk, Liverpool struggle with pacy counter attacks or long balls. Eg., we won huge against them (3-1) at Wembley almost 2 years ago. We adopted a counter attacking game which they never really manage to cope. With Van Dijk and Fabiano, they seemingly do not have an obvious defensive weakness this year.

How should we play to neutralise all these and give ourselves a fighting chance to win this year UCL?

Comments?

Comments???...how about, now Im even more nervous about all the ways they could score against us! And you hadn’t even included Salah pretending to be shot when somebody brushes his elbow in the box.
But being a touch more serious, we have to out score them and so a major decision will rest on our strikers. I know many think an 80% fit Kane should start before Lucas or Sonny, but personally i would orefer Kane to come off the bench to ‘balance’ up his lack of match fitness.

Also agree on Kane.

What happens 65mins in if we’re a goal behind but Harry is blowing out of his arse?! Be very hard to take him off then....

Whereas Harry coming on at same scenario would be a great boost.

And if we’re not behind on 65, with Harry on bench, then even better!!

Harry starting would probably need us to be up at half time for that to work - and we seem to have forgotten how to score first half goals in 2019!!

I haven’t really been on this forum this season but is the love / preference for Aurier a new thing??!

Yes Trips has had a shocker this season.

But after terrible first halves in 2nd leg games at City and Ajax he did well in both second halves, so there is still a player left in there somewhere!

I can’t picture Aurier kicking a ball since his karate kick clearance gave Burnley a goal, so I’d be very surprised if He started over Trips.

Back
Top Bottom