Best formation and tactics to beat Liverpool...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Trippier had a decent second half 2nd leg against Ajax. Agree he’s due a good game.

Doesn’t matter too much anyway as the game will be won and lost in midfield. If Klopp does the obvious, he’ll make them play a press, target Trippier and shut down Eriksen.

If Sissoko has the game of his life we win. Everyone else just needs to do their thing

I can't leave out either Son or Moura and Kane, if fit. Sissoko is a must so I went with this.
Eriksen deeper so he can affect the game more with his passing due to his having a bit more space and Dele behind Kane so he can do his runs into the box, flicks etc.

Not sure on whether it should be a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-1-1

Lloris
Tripps Toby Jan Rose
Sissoko Eriksen
Son Dele Moura
Kane

On paper, Pochettino always line up with a 4-2-3-1 when he is not using a back 3.

However, due to the fluidity of his tactics, when in possession, the formation shifted to 4-4-2 diamond.
In this attacking stance, Sissoko and Winks will pair as a pivot to spring the attack. This works well for us so far as Winks can put himself in good position to spray passes and dictate the tempo of the game. Sissoko is good at making incisive run and is hard to mark from midfield.

This formation is extremely useful against teams that likes to press high. There will be spaces in the opposition that Sissoko can exploit during transition. While Sissoko is not a finisher at all, he has lots of option in front of him, eg., Eriksen to make incisive passes/through balls, Dele Alli as a shallow striker to make runs in behind the defenders, Kane who can hold up ball, Son for his trickery and pace.

That is why we are such a force when everyone is fit and fighting. One eg., is how we demolished Dortmund. However, injuries decimated a lot of our options this season and that is why we struggled towards the end of the season. Pochettino has to improvised ways to overcome our opponents and with abit of luck and “never say die” spirit, we are in the finals!

Lloris
Trippier Aurier Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose
Sissoko Winks Eriksen Skipp
Lucas Dele Son
Kane Llorente

...and see if the ref spots it.

Expect Liverpool to keep Firmino glued to Toby; not allowing him to get the ball. This will leave our full backs and Jan more often than not passing the ball back to Lloris - and we know what usually happens there. If we can't get the ball out of our defence liverpool will press us and panic our players.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a few early fouls on Sissoko to test out the fragility of his muscle issues. Also they may try to get under Rose's skin. Hopefully the ref doesn't apply the 'no yellow cards in the first 30 minutes' rule.

In a one off game we are capable of beating anyone, we have shown that this season and in the past. The game at Anfield this season and last season we were probably the better team in both, and but for some poor finishing and Lloris mistake we'd have beaten Liverpool.

What we need to do is take our chances, not panic and have the defence as solid is possible. 3 at the back doesn't work, and we can't leave the midfield exposed. Aurier has the pace to match Mane, but is also as clumsy as Trippier. I'd lean towards Aurier due to his brilliant performances against Dortmund, who had a very good attacking side to them.

Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Winks - Sissoko
Lucas - Dele - Eriksen
Kane
Harsh to leave Son out after his Man City heroics, but it would be even harsher to leave Lucas out after his hatrick to get us here. Alli plays brilliantly when he has Kane to work with, as does Eriksen when he has movement like Kane's to play with.

From a Liverpool team view, I have noticed Salah is a very selfish player. More often than not he will go for it himself rather than look for an option. I don't think they'd have beaten Barca if Salah started. We stop Mane, I think we stop their flow. He is the main driver in that team. Midfield will be the battle to win. Wijnaldum is a player who can really hurt you, as shown vs Barca, stick Sissoko on him to hound him and we'll see more of the ball in there. Kane will occupy Van Dijk so it's up to Lucas and Dele to move into the space left and Eriksen (who needs a big game, if it is going to be his last) needs to be picking the space out every time.

We have performed miracles to get here, like nothing before. As long as we don't fall apart in the final then we have every chance. We have shown this UCL campaign that if any team gives us a chance, we will take it. One more huge 90 minutes to write this team into Tottenham and European history.

COYS

Trippier had a decent second half 2nd leg against Ajax. Agree he’s due a good game.

Doesn’t matter too much anyway as the game will be won and lost in midfield. If Klopp does the obvious, he’ll make them play a press, target Trippier and shut down Eriksen.

If Sissoko has the game of his life we win. Everyone else just needs to do their thing

I think Liverpool will target Trip, Toby, Sissoko and Eriksen (or players in them positions), over and over again they target the deep lying players and not the more skilled technical attack minded players. The aim is to make the so called less technical players panic and give the ball to a Liverpool attacker/midfielder for a quick pass to Mane or Salah.

It’s a proven system that’s worked, likewise the centre half’s getting into a forward immediately before they can bring somebody else into play.

Moura, Son and Deli will be absolutely critical as Liverpool (and so many others) struggle against pace and technical ability, particularly people who can dribble.

I think Liverpool will target Trip, Toby, Sissoko and Eriksen (or players in them positions), over and over again they target the deep lying players and not the more skilled technical attack minded players. The aim is to make the so called less technical players panic and give the ball to a Liverpool attacker/midfielder for a quick pass to Mane or Salah.

It’s a proven system that’s worked, likewise the centre half’s getting into a forward immediately before they can bring somebody else into play.

Moura, Son and Deli will be absolutely critical as Liverpool (and so many others) struggle against pace and technical ability, particularly people who can dribble.

What we are not factoring in re Trippier, 'are the rumours true re him leaving? ' If there are any behind the scenes movement this could well influence Poch to leave him out but if not based on Poch's recent selections I think he starts.

On paper, Pochettino always line up with a 4-2-3-1 when he is not using a back 3.

However, due to the fluidity of his tactics, when in possession, the formation shifted to 4-4-2 diamond.
In this attacking stance, Sissoko and Winks will pair as a pivot to spring the attack. This works well for us so far as Winks can put himself in good position to spray passes and dictate the tempo of the game. Sissoko is good at making incisive run and is hard to mark from midfield.

This formation is extremely useful against teams that likes to press high. There will be spaces in the opposition that Sissoko can exploit during transition. While Sissoko is not a finisher at all, he has lots of option in front of him, eg., Eriksen to make incisive passes/through balls, Dele Alli as a shallow striker to make runs in behind the defenders, Kane who can hold up ball, Son for his trickery and pace.

That is why we are such a force when everyone is fit and fighting. One eg., is how we demolished Dortmund. However, injuries decimated a lot of our options this season and that is why we struggled towards the end of the season. Pochettino has to improvised ways to overcome our opponents and with abit of luck and “never say die” spirit, we are in the finals!
how we demolished Dortmund?

we definitely beat them, but it wasn't a demolition, the first game was pretty even (despite the goals) and in the second it was a backs to the wall job, with one shot on target.

job done, but to suggest it was a walk in the park is reaching a little

how we demolished Dortmund?

we definitely beat them, but it wasn't a demolition, the first game was pretty even (despite the goals) and in the second it was a backs to the wall job, with one shot on target.

job done, but to suggest it was a walk in the park is reaching a little
That is one of the reasons that I would opt for Aurier. In that game we were battered in the first half, Aurier's positioning was actually OK and was part of the reason that we didn't concede.

Had trippier been playing in that first half at home then I am almost certain we would have conceded at least one goal. Aurier is the lesser of two evils, if he can just put away those rash challenges for this one off game then we could be on to a winner there.

I am far more comfortable with us soaking up pressure and "riding our luck" when tripps is not playing.

I will leave tactics and formation to Poch. I just want whoever is selected to play their hearts out and leave nothing in the tank by the end of the game. We know that we have some great players in our squad, we just need them to produce their best form on the night. And with a wee bit of luck, we might actually do them. Fingers crossed :)

From a Liverpool team view, I have noticed Salah is a very selfish player. More often than not he will go for it himself rather than look for an option. I don't think they'd have beaten Barca if Salah started. We stop Mane, I think we stop their flow.
Interesting observation . I always thought Mane was the more selfish one. In terms of creating for others, Salah has 10 assists and Mane 2. Makes more sense to stop salah than mane.

Gotta play Llorente. We are absolutely terrible playing it out from the back. Every team in the prem knows that we cant beat a decent press and with their attacking line up we will get slaughtered if thats the way we go. Playing it off Nando with moura and deli pushed high gives them a real problem to think about. Its not the prettiest but given the resources at our disposal I honestly feel its the only way. Sucks for sonny but hes on the bench for me.

Gotta play Llorente. We are absolutely terrible playing it out from the back. Every team in the prem knows that we cant beat a decent press and with their attacking line up we will get slaughtered if thats the way we go. Playing it off Nando with moura and deli pushed high gives them a real problem to think about. Its not the prettiest but given the resources at our disposal I honestly feel its the only way. Sucks for sonny but hes on the bench for me.
“Given the resources at our disposal”
:vertna:
Mate you realise that barring any training injuries, we should have a fully fit squad. We aren’t terrible at playing it out from the back when we have a fully fit squad we are actually quite good at it.

A lot of talk of how we stop them. I think attack is our best weapon. Let them worry about us. Go full throttle at them from the off. I believe too many times we give so called bigger teams a head start by playing with a little fear from the off. In many of our bigger games we are generally chasing the opposition due to early goals conceded and mistakes made.

I am hoping that with 3 weeks with no football could really help our chances. Form as they say goes out the window in a cup final. But more than just a cliche, form is now gone. Recent form had us way behind the dippers. This is where i believe the 3 weeks off can really benefit us. Liverpool won't have any form advantage over us and for the first time in months we'll have a squad of fully refreshed and hopefully fully fit players. A chance to catch them cold so to speak.

A fully fit Spurs can beat anyone.

COYS! To Dare Is To Do!!!

“Given the resources at our disposal”
:vertna:
Mate you realise that barring any training injuries, we should have a fully fit squad. We aren’t terrible at playing it out from the back when we have a fully fit squad we are actually quite good at it.

Yeah I do realise that and I think that they have their strengths but beating a high press isn't one of them. Sounds obvious but were fucking great at playing out when not being pressed, or when teams abandon it to either protect a lead or because they dont have the energy to keep it up (and i think liverpool have been very susceptible to that in some games.) Our back line look like they're shitting themselves every time they face it. I dont trust them to do it. we dont have the players, especially on the right and i hate to say it, Hugo. (although winks playing would be a massive plus, he treats the ball like its his last fiver). with their front three if we keep losing it there, we will pay the price.

I'm certain poch will start with it, we'll go at least a goal down and then he'll change it and we'll win so its all good.

Back
Top Bottom