Before Pochettino there was him…

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jol and Davids was *the* catalyst for change from us being soft old Spurs to the mentality we see now. Come to think of it, he had a great way of saying "mentality" in that accent of his quite a lot, too. Still have his signed photo on the wall, so im quite a fan (also just realised who my avatar is on this site lol)

I *think* it was someone like Alaves or Getafe in the UEFA Cup or whatever the fuck it was called / called now. I was at the Newcastle away game the week before and the writing was on the wall then, a truly limp display and he cut a sad figure on the touchline.
That half time sacking felt so classless. Damien Comedy was a cunt for that

Jol though delivered 1 leave win in 10 leave games at the point he was sacked, so hard to say he was hard done by. But the circumstances were classless.

We were poor in 2007/08. League Cup covered up a lot of sins.

Levy: Jol should apologise to me, not the other way round

Levy said: "People say I should apologise, but I don't hear anyone talking about Martin going for two jobs while he was here. No-one has had a go at him. Have I got an apology?

"We are in the football business and I completely understand that he went to talk to club X while he was still here, that's just the way it is."

Didn’t know that

A friend once told me, Jol reminded me of this guy from Danish animation film. I never quite forgave him, as I could kinda see and couldn't really ever again see Jol without being reminded of that silly character :bmj:

Never got the adulation the Fat Dutch Clown received, we bottled so many games under him, yes he moved us on but we'd never have gone any further, having said that give me him over AVB any time,

Frank Arnesen, despite what he ended up doing, deserves a lot of credit alongside Jol.

He was able to finally convince ENIC to understand we had good players but no squad and finally ENIC invested in a squad. From that it gave Jol the basis on which to work.

I always felt that ENIC got Santini as they dare not appoint Jol after the interim mess that was Pleat’s tenure. They got away with the Pleat balls by hinting at a big name coming. And Santini was that, but Arsen never wanted the Frenchman.

The loss of Arsen and arrival of Damien Comedy did for Jol, that a horrible record against the Top 4 and two seasons running of terrible starts to seasons. BMJ was a little inconsistent at times and could find himself somewhat exposed tactically.

It’s only my personal view, but it was not really until Harry Redknapp that I completely felt that we were “back” in the bracket we should have been all along. Under Jol it never had the same sense of belonging at an elite level.

Last edited:
For some of a certain age, you're correct with "again". For those only old to have followed Spurs since post the 91 cup win, not counting a few very shortlived false dawns, he was the first to truly make us believe, full stop.

Will always have a special place in Spurs fans for that.

Oh, and for this:

Haha

He’d have snapped him in two!!

Pwopa naughty was Martin

Back
Top Bottom