Before Pochettino there was him…

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Loved BMJ, loved him. Lasagna-gate was so unjust, Spurs calling up the head of the FA to ask for a postponement owing to half the team being ill, a certain David Dein, who picked up the call on his mobile while watching his favourite team Woolwich at home, and says "Nah....". What a surprise.
Who remembers that story about BMJ leaning over to the fourth official and saying "Is it against the rules to think you're a wanker?" To which the fourth official says "No, I dont think so". BMJ replies "Well, I think you're a wanker"

I still love Jol. We deserved CL that season and we're very hard done by. Clubs like Woolwich thing they suffer now that they miss out on CL but they have no real idea of what pain really is. Thing is, when you finally make it it means more because youve come up from lower down.

I remember against Besiktas away they gave us, or perhaps it was just Berba I can't recall, a standing ovation because we were so good in that match. Great atmosphere.

I think he's a very underated manager in the grand scheme of things, shit people talk more about our time under AVB than they do about Jol.

It ain't right I tells ya!

Martin Jol and Frank Arnesen dream team. Was odd how Jol was initially brought in as Jacques Santini’s no 2. Jol had also turned down going to Utd as Fergies no 2.

The day Arnesen left us for the Chavs meant Jol was on shaky ground. As I suspect he didn’t have the same relationship/trust with Comolli.

Martin Jol was still affecting Spurs years after he was sacked.

He turned Dembele into a central midfielder!

PHEWWWWWW...... THANK FUCK IT'S ABOUT BMJ!!!!!
y746PSy.gif

Sure picked the wrong day to give up the booze!!

:pritchardeyes::mong:

Loved the man, I used to make my Nan watch Tottenham in Europe when I lived with her back in the day. She was an Woolwich fan :pochfacepalm:

I love the big man. I remember watching him at Bill Nick's memorial and his face showed real emotion and he had a real connection with the supporters. He was unlucky that we didn't qualify for the CL, but I believe we would have done, given another season. The way the Club treated him was a real 'shoot yourself in the foot' moment and that will always be a blot on the ENIC copy book.

Maybe, but sometimes we seem to need to take a step back in order to take a step forward - in recent times:

Jol - Ramos - Redknapp
Redknapp - AVB/Sherwood - Poch

None happens without 'mistake' in the middle

Fair point, but still feel Martin didn't deserve the sack, especially the way it was done.

There was a lot of hearsay at the time - on one hand Paul Kelmsley (who had some influence then) supposedly just didn't like Jol......on the other side Jol supposedly had an interview for the Newcastle manager job and Spurs found out.......

That’s what I heard

Happened at half time apparently

Unbelievable

I *think* it was someone like Alaves or Getafe in the UEFA Cup or whatever the fuck it was called / called now. I was at the Newcastle away game the week before and the writing was on the wall then, a truly limp display and he cut a sad figure on the touchline.

Wish we could have past them that day, we battered them - but poor finishing and a mistake for their goal skewed it.

That and West Ham on the final day seem like a bit of sliding doors moment for Jol, I'm sure Carrick would have stayed if we'd got Champions League.

I was there that day...I'd never seen us play them off the park like we did then - especially at the library.
I also remember Carrick almost scored one of the best goals I'd have ever seen - he danced through half the Woolwich team before putting it just wide from a v tight angle inside the box (should have laid it off after rounding Lehmann).
I was also fuming at Stalteri for letting Adebayor beat him on the touchline when Stalteri already won the ball off him and could have launched him into the stand if necessary, and then Henry scored.

Carrick's solo run is about 20sec in...

Back
Top Bottom