Before Pochettino there was him…

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sam Marlow takes a few moments to recognise the man who helped change Tottenham from what we were into what we are...

Read article

PHEWWWWWW...... THANK FUCK IT'S ABOUT BMJ!!!!!
y746PSy.gif

I loved Martin and we treated him shamefully if the story that he was sacked by text is true

:bmj:

I think he's a very underated manager in the grand scheme of things, shit people talk more about our time under AVB than they do about Jol.

It ain't right I tells ya!

The sad truth is the only manager to ever win us a cup in recent history was Ramos. Unfortunately he also nearly got us relegated!

Must say I never reallly warmed to Juande Ramos during his tenure because I was so gutted he replaced Jol, despite the cup success.

The Martin Jol years were special, he was the beginning of our successful run. Things were bleak for years before him.

Martin Jol will always have a special place in our hearts as he made us believe again and gave us some pride back.

For some of a certain age, you're correct with "again". For those only old to have followed Spurs since post the 91 cup win, not counting a few very shortlived false dawns, he was the first to truly make us believe, full stop.

Will always have a special place in Spurs fans for that.

Oh, and for this:

A friend once told me, Jol reminded me of this guy from Danish animation film. I never quite forgave him, as I could kinda see and couldn't really ever again see Jol without being reminded of that silly character :bmj:

For some of a certain age, you're correct with "again". For those only old to have followed Spurs since post the 91 cup win, not counting a few very shortlived false dawns, he was the first to truly make us believe, full stop.

Will always have a special place in Spurs fans for that.

Oh, and for this:

Wish we could have past them that day, we battered them - but poor finishing and a mistake for their goal skewed it.

That and West Ham on the final day seem like a bit of sliding doors moment for Jol, I'm sure Carrick would have stayed if we'd got Champions League.

I don’t think the importance of Martin Jol can be understated. He gave Spurs fans what they craved more then anything else coming out of the 99’s - he gave us a team to be proud of again.

For that, he will always be special to fans of my age (now in their late 30’s).

I love the big man. I remember watching him at Bill Nick's memorial and his face showed real emotion and he had a real connection with the supporters. He was unlucky that we didn't qualify for the CL, but I believe we would have done, given another season. The way the Club treated him was a real 'shoot yourself in the foot' moment and that will always be a blot on the ENIC copy book.

Loved the man, I used to make my Nan watch Tottenham in Europe when I lived with her back in the day. She was an Woolwich fan :pochfacepalm:

I think he's a very underated manager in the grand scheme of things, shit people talk more about our time under AVB than they do about Jol.

It ain't right I tells ya!

Martin Jol started off this upward curve of our club. He was the first one who breathed a bit of proper life into how we were as a club under ENIC and gets my utmost respect. The first successful manager we had since Venables, big Martin is proper Spurs in my book and should always be welcomed back to the Lane

Back
Top Bottom