Before Pochettino there was him…

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, love Martin Jol. He was the first manager we had for ages that actually had a vision. Was sad about the CL though, still upsets me that fiasco.
It was quite ruthless how we got rid of him as well, certainly not deserving of that.
Lovely bloke.

I love the big man. I remember watching him at Bill Nick's memorial and his face showed real emotion and he had a real connection with the supporters. He was unlucky that we didn't qualify for the CL, but I believe we would have done, given another season. The way the Club treated him was a real 'shoot yourself in the foot' moment and that will always be a blot on the ENIC copy book.

Maybe, but sometimes we seem to need to take a step back in order to take a step forward - in recent times:

Jol - Ramos - Redknapp
Redknapp - AVB/Sherwood - Poch

None happens without 'mistake' in the middle

Maybe, but sometimes we seem to need to take a step back in order to take a step forward - in recent times:

Jol - Ramos - Redknapp
Redknapp - AVB/Sherwood - Poch

None happens without 'mistake' in the middle
Fair point, but still feel Martin didn't deserve the sack, especially the way it was done.

Fair point, but still feel Martin didn't deserve the sack, especially the way it was done.

There was a lot of hearsay at the time - on one hand Paul Kelmsley (who had some influence then) supposedly just didn't like Jol......on the other side Jol supposedly had an interview for the Newcastle manager job and Spurs found out.......

For some of a certain age, you're correct with "again". For those only old to have followed Spurs since post the 91 cup win, not counting a few very shortlived false dawns, he was the first to truly make us believe, full stop.

Will always have a special place in Spurs fans for that.

Oh, and for this:

In that same game two scum players lying injured in the middle of the park while Jol screamed at our players "PLAY, PLAY, PLAY"

I love the big man. I remember watching him at Bill Nick's memorial and his face showed real emotion and he had a real connection with the supporters. He was unlucky that we didn't qualify for the CL, but I believe we would have done, given another season. The way the Club treated him was a real 'shoot yourself in the foot' moment and that will always be a blot on the ENIC copy book.
The fact he was at The Finale though shows that there is some love.

Martin Jol and Frank Arnesen dream team. Was odd how Jol was initially brought in as Jacques Santini’s no 2. Jol had also turned down going to Utd as Fergies no 2.

The day Arnesen left us for the Chavs meant Jol was on shaky ground. As I suspect he didn’t have the same relationship/trust with Comolli.

Loved BMJ, loved him. Lasagna-gate was so unjust, Spurs calling up the head of the FA to ask for a postponement owing to half the team being ill, a certain David Dein, who picked up the call on his mobile while watching his favourite team Woolwich at home, and says "Nah....". What a surprise.
Who remembers that story about BMJ leaning over to the fourth official and saying "Is it against the rules to think you're a wanker?" To which the fourth official says "No, I dont think so". BMJ replies "Well, I think you're a wanker"

Jol and Davids was *the* catalyst for change from us being soft old Spurs to the mentality we see now. Come to think of it, he had a great way of saying "mentality" in that accent of his quite a lot, too. Still have his signed photo on the wall, so im quite a fan (also just realised who my avatar is on this site lol)

Never got the adulation the Fat Dutch Clown received, we bottled so many games under him, yes he moved us on but we'd never have gone any further, having said that give me him over AVB any time,

Frank Arnesen, despite what he ended up doing, deserves a lot of credit alongside Jol.

He was able to finally convince ENIC to understand we had good players but no squad and finally ENIC invested in a squad. From that it gave Jol the basis on which to work.

I always felt that ENIC got Santini as they dare not appoint Jol after the interim mess that was Pleat’s tenure. They got away with the Pleat balls by hinting at a big name coming. And Santini was that, but Arsen never wanted the Frenchman.

The loss of Arsen and arrival of Damien Comedy did for Jol, that a horrible record against the Top 4 and two seasons running of terrible starts to seasons. BMJ was a little inconsistent at times and could find himself somewhat exposed tactically.

It’s only my personal view, but it was not really until Harry Redknapp that I completely felt that we were “back” in the bracket we should have been all along. Under Jol it never had the same sense of belonging at an elite level.

Last edited:
For some of a certain age, you're correct with "again". For those only old to have followed Spurs since post the 91 cup win, not counting a few very shortlived false dawns, he was the first to truly make us believe, full stop.

Will always have a special place in Spurs fans for that.

Oh, and for this:

Haha

He’d have snapped him in two!!

Pwopa naughty was Martin

Back
Top Bottom