Before Pochettino there was him…

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I still love Jol. We deserved CL that season and we're very hard done by. Clubs like Woolwich thing they suffer now that they miss out on CL but they have no real idea of what pain really is. Thing is, when you finally make it it means more because youve come up from lower down.

I remember against Besiktas away they gave us, or perhaps it was just Berba I can't recall, a standing ovation because we were so good in that match. Great atmosphere.

That’s what I heard

Happened at half time apparently

Unbelievable

I *think* it was someone like Alaves or Getafe in the UEFA Cup or whatever the fuck it was called / called now. I was at the Newcastle away game the week before and the writing was on the wall then, a truly limp display and he cut a sad figure on the touchline.

The day big Martin squared up to the woolwich vermin we didn't have tickets so around 40 of us had some fun up the Holloway Road. Wasn't just Martin who ruffled some Plumstead feathers that day.

I *think* it was someone like Alaves or Getafe in the UEFA Cup or whatever the fuck it was called / called now. I was at the Newcastle away game the week before and the writing was on the wall then, a truly limp display and he cut a sad figure on the touchline.

Yeah, it was Getafe i think.

I still love Jol. We deserved CL that season and we're very hard done by. Clubs like Woolwich thing they suffer now that they miss out on CL but they have no real idea of what pain really is. Thing is, when you finally make it it means more because youve come up from lower down.

I remember against Besiktas away they gave us, or perhaps it was just Berba I can't recall, a standing ovation because we were so good in that match. Great atmosphere.
Being absolutely pragmatic, I am not sure we deserved Champions League that season. The team did really well, but it was always alarmingly close to not happening and we have to be fair and say we needed to win the last game to get there and did not. The circumstances and reason why not are horrific and sting years later, but even without the bug / lasagna we might not have won. It hurts to admit it. But we came up short before that last game ever happened, Sunderland, Wigan and Newcastle games that season did not help with the final points tally. We played poorly in them.

You are spot on with the Besiktas game, but I think it was the whole team not just Berba who were applauded off. Might be remembering wrong there.

That half time sacking felt so classless. Damien Comedy was a cunt for that

Jol though delivered 1 leave win in 10 leave games at the point he was sacked, so hard to say he was hard done by. But the circumstances were classless.

We were poor in 2007/08. League Cup covered up a lot of sins.

Being absolutely pragmatic, I am not sure we deserved Champions League that season. The team did really well, but it was always alarmingly close to not happening and we have to be fair and say we needed to win the last game to get there and did not. The circumstances and reason why not are horrific and sting years later, but even without the bug / lasagna we might not have won. It hurts to admit it. But we came up short before that last game ever happened, Sunderland, Wigan and Newcastle games that season did not help with the final points tally. We played poorly in them.

You are spot on with the Besiktas game, but I think it was the whole team not just Berba who were applauded off. Might be remembering wrong there.

It was Berba. Went off just before the end of the game and got a standing ovation.

Sorry to be that guy but quoting myself from my very first post here on TFC.

I have supported us many many hard years and am beyond happy with what have achieved over the past few seasons, in fact going back before Poch to Harry and Jol, I saw us really start to make progress.

Jol really got us moving again and it was the first manager for a long long time who had us playing well and believing.

Was at a fans forum at WHL when Jol was in charge (I think Paul Robinson was there as well).

After the Q&A session, Martin was outside in the carpark, and more than happy to speak to fans and take photos. A female friend of mine asked if she could get a photo with him, and in his great Dutch accent, he replied "Yessshhh, of course, my darling".

Legend.

Wasn't that season also the goal that never was at Old Trafford where Carroll spooned it out of the goal? That was another 2 points that would have secured us CL if they'd had VAR. I think we did deserve it.

Wasn't that season also the goal that never was at Old Trafford where Carroll spooned it out of the goal? That was another 2 points that would have secured us CL if they'd had VAR. I think we did deserve it.
Nah that was the season before.

Wish we could have past them that day, we battered them - but poor finishing and a mistake for their goal skewed it.

That and West Ham on the final day seem like a bit of sliding doors moment for Jol, I'm sure Carrick would have stayed if we'd got Champions League.

I was there that day...I'd never seen us play them off the park like we did then - especially at the library.
I also remember Carrick almost scored one of the best goals I'd have ever seen - he danced through half the Woolwich team before putting it just wide from a v tight angle inside the box (should have laid it off after rounding Lehmann).
I was also fuming at Stalteri for letting Adebayor beat him on the touchline when Stalteri already won the ball off him and could have launched him into the stand if necessary, and then Henry scored.

Carrick's solo run is about 20sec in...

I was there that day...I'd never seen us play them off the park like we did then - especially at the library.
I also remember Carrick almost scored one of the best goals I'd have ever seen - he danced through half the Woolwich team before putting it just wide from a v tight angle inside the box (should have laid it off after rounding Lehmann).
I was also fuming at Stalteri for letting Adebayor beat him on the touchline when Stalteri already won the ball off him and could have launched him into the stand if necessary, and then Henry scored.

Carrick's solo run is about 20sec in...

@62 sec "Play, Play"!

Back
Top Bottom