Bad Atmosphere and how to combat it!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Even the demeanour and make-up of our away support is changing...

Take yesterday and the "sit down" PA announcements caused by people at the back in our section moaning about people in front standing. At Villa previously there was a whole section of our lot in the corner sat down and being very quiet.

Over the last couple of years I've observed a marked change in our away support: There are:
a) a lot more parents with kids - and
b) dare I say it, more fellas and their girlfriends.

I would guess this is being facilitated by the culture of people applying for away tickets they have no intention of using to gain loyalty points and then selling them easily via Twitter.

Is the problem being caused by people who are new and have no history with the "away day" now having easy access to tickets and taking their subdued attitudes from the Lane up the motorway with them?

The away trip is no longer a butterflies in stomach, 'keep yer nut down' affair. It has become a routine,take the family along day-out. For some a way seeing Spurs - provided you book into the Malmaison and take the Doris shopping in the afternoon.

Away trips used to be a massive relief for me: a holiday from the fickle, groaning home support and Cat-C day trippers. Now they seem to bloody travel too.

I agree, the away support has changed a lot, and also tends to vary quite a bit from game to game according to who we are playing, and the context. There seems to be less banter (though it still exists) and original or edgier songs don't tend to catch on, with a lot of people only joining in with the likes of "Oh when the Spurs" which, despite being classic songs, can get tiresome. A nice counterexample would be the "fuck em all" song which few people used to sing along with but has come alive again since Lazio away. Of the games I've been to, Chelsea away last season was the last time I felt really impressed by our away support, and that was obviously a big game.

I think the lack of the 'butterflies in stomach' aspect of it is down to wider changes in football and not just the change in our away support. Btw my girlfriend comes with me to away games from time to time, I know that is considered anathema on here and on other forums, and maybe with some reason, but I am as loud a fan as you could meet and if we are losing 3-0 away from home I will be one of maybe 30 people still singing.

In my experience, a fair amount of the people who don't sing, and moan about standing, grass to old bill etc, at away games, are not 'new' fans but are a certain type of season ticket holder (often for many years) who don't normally go to away games but do now that we are successful. They also tend to go to games which are easier to get to. Somewhere like Reading or Watford away our support is generally worse than Newcastle or Sunderland.

I haven't read through all the posts on this, so not sure if it's been said, but not everyone goes to football to sing & chant. Me, I’m a shouter, chanter, singer, the lot….but I can understand that not everyone feels the need to or wants to. There are some strange folk out there, you’ll see em all, but to slag em off just because they watch football in a different way to you is a bit odd. Maybe they can’t enjoy the game singing songs, maybe they want to take more of an interest in other aspects of the game & the day out itself. Maybe it’s the only peace & quiet they get all week from a nagging Mrs.
It’s common knowledge that the West Stand is quieter, if you don’t like it, just don’t sit there again, no need to slag of Tottenham fans for choosing to enjoy the game in a different way.
People that chant & sing….fine
People that don’t….also fine

I agree to an extent, however I think it would be preferable if these people sat together, and louder fans could stand together away from them at home games. And I think if you turn up for an away game, that should be for the hardcore fans and you have a duty to sing up and be passionate, otherwise you are letting down your fellow supporters.

I'm pretty sure the Spurs cause will be just fine if the West Stand folk continue in their way of watching the game.

This is true, you'll always get people who moan, but again, that's their wish. If you can have a decent argument with them, it usually makes them shut up a bit. It is these fans who grate on me, but usually I'll try and shoot them down before their negative attitude starts to take over.

I'm pretty sure the Spurs cause is damaged by the apathy in the West Stand. How wonderful it would be if that huge stand actually backed the players, what a difference that would make.

Re the moaners they're a curse on our club, and continually hold us back.

Like Greaves357, i am getting on a bit but i too am also usually the noisiest/most animated & join in the most chants where i generally sit in 44.

John Still, the Dagenham & Redbridge manager said something that realy rung true with me. He said Premier League fans attend matches to 'watch the show' whereas lower league fans are 'part of the show'.
As a fairly regular attendee at Rymans Premier games i think he has a point. It used to be like that at Spurs until around 4-5 years ago.

Well said Mr Naylor - a player I remember well, now he was tough!

Back
Top Bottom