Bad Atmosphere and how to combat it!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

GazzasLeftNut

Save Gazza
Was sat in the upper west stand this evening! I feel embarrassed, angry, saddened and bemused as to why the fuck do people not cheer, chant or sing for the team in that area of the ground! At one point during a small lull in the game I actually started yawning.
I tried to sing a few songs and chants in the hope someone else would join in but I got funny looks!
My question is how would you fix this very real problem?

Not sure it is fixable to be honest. The people who are buying tickets in that part of the ground seem to be doing it intentionally so they are surrounded by similar types. It's as if they think they are going to the theatre rather than to see a sport. I can't think of any other reason why there would be such a unity in their lack of emotion.

I actually moaned a lot about them as the game was going on but it fell on deaf ears. Either they are too old to hear or just don't care.
Had a go at a few that left around 60 or so minutes and shouted they should have stayed at home and watched it on tv or give up your tickets to someone who will appreciate it a bit more.
I dunno I'm going off on one now and to be frank I'm fucked off!

Yeah I am I was born 27 years ago into a spurs supporting family! But now we are enjoying wonderful glorious football I suddenly love them!
Fuck off!
I remember growing up and seeing the likes of Darren Anderton, Fox, Chris Armstrong etc! When we were a proper dross spursy side!
I'm not suggesting I'm high brow I'm saying I find it embarrassing that people go and sit in silence like Helen Keller!!!

Yeah I am I was born 27 years ago into a spurs supporting family! But now we are enjoying wonderful glorious football I suddenly love them!
Fuck off!
I remember growing up and seeing the likes of Darren Anderton, Fox, Chris Armstrong etc! When we were a proper dross spursy side!
I'm not suggesting I'm high brow I'm saying I find it embarrassing that people go and sit in silence like Helen Keller!!!

Good luck with your quest

But on topic, how long has it been this bad? This has been the first year it's been distracting for me. Last year I remember some lackluster Europa games, but this was just dreadfully quiet. Those of you present could probably hear the players fart.

Great post, about time we spoke about this!

If you're not sat in shelf or block 32-35 in south lower you may as well bring a book to read.

Sat in west stand last year for QPR right near the dug out row 1. At half time I took a moment to enjoy the view. After five minutes I went for the standard pork pie and bottle of coke and some guy next to me had a cheese board out. Yes a fucking cheese board.

The look he gave me for making him move was worse than the one Ade gave AVB when he said he had to come back to work.

Seriously, if you aren't going home with a sore throat from shouting you may as well stay at home IMO.

And fuck cheese. And prawns. Cunts.

:adegrin2:

Lots of people watch games without adding to the atmosphere. Don't think there's anything wrong with that personally. They should be told by the club to sit in west stand and Paxton. The Shelf and Park Lane should be advertised as frequent standing lots of noise unsuitable for families.

Was sat in the upper west stand this evening! I feel embarrassed, angry, saddened and bemused as to why the fuck do people not cheer, chant or sing for the team in that area of the ground! At one point during a small lull in the game I actually started yawning.
I tried to sing a few songs and chants in the hope someone else would join in but I got funny looks!
My question is how would you fix this very real problem?
Sit somewhere else, the west standers, byandlarge, are stuck in their ways. Some say that a chemical is realeased once a bite has been taken from a Prawn Sandwich that suppresse's the urge to, well, do anything. This has a negative effect on things like having an opinion, singing, having fun etc. it's a problem that has been around since the early 80's when the whispering gallery, sorry, west stand was constructed. Witnessed the atmosphere first hand about 10 years ago (work freebie), never again, in fact had the chance to attend a game (another work do),myself and a few fellow colleagues decided to source our own tickets in the East stand and meet up with everyone else afterwards.

Sit somewhere else, the west standers, byandlarge, are stuck in their ways. Some say that a chemical is realeased once a bite has been taken from a Prawn Sandwich that suppresse's the urge to, well, do anything. This has a negative effect on things like having an opinion, singing, having fun etc. it's a problem that has been around since the early 80's when the whispering gallery, sorry, west stand was constructed. Witnessed the atmosphere first hand about 10 years ago (work freebie), never again, in fact had the chance to attend a game (another work do),myself and a few fellow colleagues decided to source our own tickets in the East stand and meet up with everyone else afterwards.

I did say it wasn't my choice and that the tickets were given to us. I have sat in the park lane many times and would rather be there. It's like going from a drug fuelled orgy with page 3 models to being forced into shagging your nan at gunpoint sitting in the west!
:vdvcry:

maybe they are absorbed in the game.

there really is a load of bollocks spoken here. the notion that the Lane was a seething cauldron of hate and noise throughout the 70s and 80s is laughable

some guy next to me had a cheese board out. Yes a fucking cheese board.

oh fucking dear.

I can understand people wanting to sit and not go ape shit, as much as I can understand people who used to go to Kasabian concerts and want to sit in the upper tiers rather than get piss thrown on them in the pit, but I doubt I'll ever see a cheeseboard anywhere else except my mums house at Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom