away to WBA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kaboul doesn't deserve to be dropped for any defender other than King. He's our second best central defender even when Gallas is fit. Kaboul is massively underrated and as Anurag says when he plays regularly he's even better. It's Michael Dawson who walks straight back into the team when he's not good enough to do so any more as he's the 4th best defender at the club.

As for the game I think it's going to be a very touch challenge and one we may not win.

Is Kaboul that much better than Dawson when both playing beside King? Kaboul has been triffic the last few weeks but let's not get carried away. Dawson is club(vice) captain and I fully expect him to get back into the team but he is a long way from being fit. We are lucky to have depth in our CBs.

Thread has gone a bit off topic. I think we will grind out another 2-1 away win. Never thought I would say 'Tottenham' and 'grind out away win' more than twice in a season, let alone, twice in the same month.

dashmore said:
Is Kaboul that much better than Dawson when both playing beside King? Kaboul has been triffic the last few weeks but let's not get carried away. Dawson is club(vice) captain and I fully expect him to get back into the team but he is a long way from being fit. We are lucky to have depth in our CBs.

you're right we are lucky but Dawson is not that good. Massively overrated and more often than not is a hindrance. I like the guy don't get me wrong, commitment and all that jazz, but just like John Terry shows full commitment he's often found wanting against good opposition and the fact he got anywhere near the national team just shows how poor English CBs actually are.

I wouldn't say it's getting carried away with Kanoul either. He is simply better than Dawson of which I have absolutely no doubt whether he's playing next to King, Gallas or Sandra Redknapp. He's not perfect and there are better players out there but Dawson isn't one of them and if I recall Keane was club vice captain for a while and that didn't mean he walked straight back into the team. Disappointingly Dawson probably will and I say disappointingly for the team not because of a dislike I have for him personally because as I say he always gives 100% and is a great ambassador for the club. He's also had some fantastic games but if you watch him he's out of position the vast majority of the time (as Kaboul sometimes is too) but he doesn't have the pace to rectify his mistakes as someone like Kaboul does.

Michael Dawson, tough one.

He's one of those players that the fans love. He just looks like a nice guy. The cheeky smile, the commitment with which he plays. Last season when Suarez was diving all over the place trying to get fouls and pens off him, Dawson gave him a rocket when he was sitting on the floor which exposed my man love for him.
He plays with his heart on his sleeve and will put his body on the line.

But

In my opinion - Kaboul is the better footballer. He can play the ball out from the back which is a massive asset in todays Premier League, Dawson, I would argue, is not really that good at this. His spectacular cross field balls look good but im not sure they really get us anywhere and his hoofs upfield are so frustrating. At times he looks very jittery with the ball at his feet.
As Harry said Kaboul is becoming the player he always thought he could be, he has immense pace and power and I feel like as he grows as a player, he is starting to show some leadership skills.
I think if Dawson just walked back into the team, Kaboul would be right to be totally pissed off. He has done nothing wrong (yet) and although every player looks better with King alongside, he is the one I would look to as our beast at the back, he has all the tools you need. If he keeps improving we will have a superb player on our hands.
As much as I love Dawson, I just feel Kaboul has taken big steps forward, steps I cant really see Dawson matching.

Apart from all that, lets not change a winning team. :harrylol:

drwinston001 said:
Dru said:
As much as I love Dawson, I just feel Kaboul has taken big steps forward, steps I cant really see Dawson matching.

that sums it up perfectly. Now onto Huddlestone and why do people rate him so much? Great range of passing? :sandro: :wink:

Piledriver goals.

Soon to be rival to Benny's hair.

Can't wait to see Huddlestone's fro come March. It will be something to behold.

Absolutely agree Kaboul is better with the ball at his feet and a better 'footballer' but I still feel I would prefer Dawson's abilities when hanging on to a one goal lead away from home.

I love Dawson to bits but his long balls do my head in. When Kaboul and King play we pass it back and forth at the back trying to pull attackers to come close us down then we find the next pass into the midfield then we are on the attack. I am loving every minute of shouting 'YOUNES' every-time the lad does something epic.

4046.jpg

I wrote something last season stating Dawson was overrated and while he's the sort of player all fans love he's not actually as good as we can get or already have at the club. Got slated.

Said Huddlestone was massively overrated and while at Spurs we love a player who can caress a football his likeness to Glenn Hoddle is the only thing that he's got going for him because he can't find his best position. He's not a defensive midfielder nor is he an attacking one and he's not good enough to control the midfield in the way Modric does. Got slated.

I liken both players to Palacios who was good for us when we were at his level but thankfully the team has moved on and has surpassed their abilities. Good back up players but not good enough to play at the level we now want to play at.

Shane Long, Peter Odemwingie Paul Sharner and Graham Dorrans all coming back from injury so may not play on Saturday

Just going on the press report today that he is having a fitness test or some such

West Brom boss Roy Hodgson is sweating on the fitness of key quartet Shane Long, Peter Odemwingie, Paul Scharner and Graham Dorrans ahead of Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Tottenham.
Striker Long, who returned from a month out with a knee problem to score the winner in the 2-1 victory over Bolton four days ago, suffered a leg injury in training on Tuesday. Dorrans turned his ankle towards the end of Saturday's game and has yet to train this week, while fellow midfielder Scharner missed the last two games with a grade one tear to the medial ligament in his left knee.
Odemwingie is continuing his recovery from the training-ground knee injury he suffered in the build-up to the Woolwich trip more than three weeks ago.
Hodgson said on West Brom's official website, http://www.wba.co.uk: "Scharner is making good progress. He hasn't trained with the first-team yet but he tells me he will train (on Thursday), the doctors tell me he will train, and knowing Scharner and the type of player he is, I think that's how it will be.
"Peter is difficult to work out but there is some optimism from the medical staff he might train (on Thursday) so we'll see what happens. Shane took a knock so we're waiting to hear.
"When you've been out for a month, played 90 minutes and then you train, then quite often something else happens. We need him to play two or three games on the bounce or we will get this situation."

Long not playing would be a massive bonus, I rate him.

Not too bothered who else they put out, we should have enough. Foster's not that great in goal either, even Robbo scored past him!

Back
Top Bottom