AVB - Manager of the Month - December 2012

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

k3ah6v.jpg

Two posters of certain disrepute I'd say

If thats aimed at me - I'll say to you what I say to everyone who has a crack at me - or gives me shit for no reason, if you start on me - I will respond in kind.

If you (or anyone) talk(s) civilly to me - you will get polite and considerate responses.

Instead of pointing the finger at me - why not give the people who posted carping responses or remarks about me some friendly advice?

I am an unfailingly polite person - but I will defend myself, and stand up for myself if I am treated unfairly - or spoken to poorly.

(This isn't necessarily true in all cases, as there are some posters who deserve nothing - or have "previous.")

The problem is Tommy, the evidence is to the contrary. The post below:

limited in talent

in the same way that you have a brain but are apparently limited in intelligence, wit or cogent thought

was directed at Kalyl's post:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA they have one of the largest squads in the league with tons of experience... limited squad... hahaha :dawsonlol:
In which he in no way insulted you, yet you decided to reply back in a derogatory manner.
You may be a decent fella, but posts like these don't help. Was Kalyl sarcastic? yes. But he wasn't insulting.

The problem is Tommy, the evidence is to the contrary. The post below:

was directed at Kalyl's post:

In which he in no way insulted you, yet you decided to reply back in a derogatory manner.
You may be a decent fella, but posts like these don't help. Was Kalyl sarcastic? yes. But he wasn't insulting.
Really - do you seriously think that his response wasn't a derogatory one?

I saw it as exactly that - because there was no need to reply in that manner, if he wanted a debate or to discuss. It was a needless and insulting put down, which is why he got the reply he did.

He made no attempt to explain or apologise, and to be honest - it was yet another condescing or derogatory response, after others from the same poster. I'm not in the business of issuing amnesties after every incident. If people want to be pleasant to me - thats exactly what they get back, he could have argued with my post, or asked me to explain - and then systematically unravelled and destroyed my POV, if his argument held water - and I would have accepted it.

Same goes for everyone, you are not getting any grief, bad manners or insults, because you are treating it as a discussion. I understand the point you are making, and to a greater or lesser degree I have no argument - but I remain unrepentant with certain posters, because when I am given no quarter or am given undeserved crap, then I believe I am at liberty to return fire.

Really - do you seriously think that his response wasn't a derogatory one?

I saw it as exactly that - because there was no need to reply in that manner, if he wanted a debate or to discuss. It was a needless and insulting put down, which is why he got the reply he did.

He made no attempt to explain or apologise, and to be honest - it was yet another condescing or derogatory response, after others from the same poster. I'm not in the business of issuing amnesties after every incident. If people want to be pleasant to me - thats exactly what they get back, he could have argued with my post, or asked me to explain - and then systematically unravelled and destroyed my POV, if his argument held water - and I would have accepted it.

Same goes for everyone, you are not getting any grief, bad manners or insults, because you are treating it as a discussion. I understand the point you are making, and to a greater or lesser degree I have no argument - but I remain unrepentant with certain posters, because when I am given no quarter or am given undeserved crap, then I believe I am at liberty to return fire.

Fair enough, I can see that side of it. Personally, I don't feel he was meaning to be condescending, but rather just putting up the usual sarcastic response that most of my generation (including myself at times) use. I don't think it was a personal remark.
In my opinion, you seem to be an intelligent person, who can certainly put across his opinion and view on a debate in an eloquent and more friendly manner. Instead of biting back with a sharp remark, why not take the high road and explain your view? You may think that the person your responding to isn't worth the time, but perhaps if you show that person that you are prepared to be the bigger man, and want to enter into a free, open and intelligent debate on a subject, then that person then may respond in kind? If after trying this tact you feel people are still being derogatory, then simply exit the debate with them, until you meet someone your more happy to discuss with.
It would be boring if we all agreed on everything on here, but we can certainly chat about various subjects in an adult manner without it resorting to name calling.

If thats aimed at me - I'll say to you what I say to everyone who has a crack at me - or gives me shit for no reason, if you start on me - I will respond in kind.

If you (or anyone) talk(s) civilly to me - you will get polite and considerate responses.

Instead of pointing the finger at me - why not give the people who posted carping responses or remarks about me some friendly advice?

I am an unfailingly polite person - but I will defend myself, and stand up for myself if I am treated unfairly - or spoken to poorly.

(This isn't necessarily true in all cases, as there are some posters who deserve nothing - or have "previous.")
That makes perfect sense. The main problem that I see is that (almost) all you do on this site is argue. Crack a joke once in a while. Carl is pretty funny when he wants to be, just have a laff m8.

Fair enough, I can see that side of it. Personally, I don't feel he was meaning to be condescending, but rather just putting up the usual sarcastic response that most of my generation (including myself at times) use. I don't think it was a personal remark.
In my opinion, you seem to be an intelligent person, who can certainly put across his opinion and view on a debate in an eloquent and more friendly manner. Instead of biting back with a sharp remark, why not take the high road and explain your view? You may think that the person your responding to isn't worth the time, but perhaps if you show that person that you are prepared to be the bigger man, and want to enter into a free, open and intelligent debate on a subject, then that person then may respond in kind? If after trying this tact you feel people are still being derogatory, then simply exit the debate with them, until you meet someone your more happy to discuss with.
It would be boring if we all agreed on everything on here, but we can certainly chat about various subjects in an adult manner without it resorting to name calling.

Trust me - sarcasm isn't a proclivity of people your age - I was bought up in an environment and lifestyle where sarcasm and piss taking was a way of life. If anything, I have to force myself to tone it down - I also recognise it when I see it.

I think your views are entirely valid, and make perfect sense - but there's a bit of a problem here, and that is that it boils down to me doing all the taking and being sweet in return - without any evidence of quid pro quo. I'm not wholly sure why I should keep turning the other cheek, this is the internet after all, and alls fair in love and war..........
I can post without rancour, or the need to shit on other peoples opinions or posts, why should I take this level of shit?

That makes perfect sense. The main problem that I see is that (almost) all you do on this site is argue. Crack a joke once in a while. Carl is pretty funny when he wants to be, just have a laff m8.
You see the arguments, but forget the non volatile posts as they are less memorable.

I made a fatal error when I first posted on this site, and that was to question the sainted one - AVB, at the early part of the season, when we were putting out some pretty horrible performances. I didn't slag him off, but raised a few questions, that were almost wholly ignored, under a torrent of abuse. The more I tried to stand my ground and discuss things, the more I was pilloried and insulted.

Since then, there seems to be a coterie of posters, I won't bother naming them - who see me as some sort of incendiary - and almost irrespective of what I post, feel the need to post some shitheaded response.

Trust me on this, I have a sense of humour and I use it all of the time, and in the real world - never seem to have issues with getting along with people. The fact of the matter is that the internet seems to have a toxic effect on people and the ability to hide behind a keyboard colours peoples judgement and thought processes. People post whatever they want, and say things that face to face they would never do - or if they did, they would say it in a manner that made the recipient realise it was a joke, or a piss take. That is a luxury that doesn't exist here - and some folk need to learn that.

What some people are beginning to find out though, is that if they get nasty or insulting with me - they just get back what they dish out, and I'm quite expressive - so I can find reasonably eloquent ways of responding.

Frankly, I'd much rather take part in reasonable and pleasant discussions, and accept the fact that we wont all agree. I just don't get why people have to use a put down as way of expressing a point, why not just explain why they disagree? I also don't get why people find it so reprehensible that I fight fire with fire, yet don't find time to remonstrate with the posters that start the process, by being disparaging in the first place.

I just don't get why people have to use a put down as way of expressing a point, why not just explain why they disagree?

:avbcringe:

Brum for me - hate Leeds

Why the fuck would you hate Leeds?
You are 11,000 miles from Leeds, you have probably never been to Leeds in your life, or even met a Leeds supporter - who wasn't as plastic a fan as you are.

You know nothing about THFC apart from what you have read on Wikipedia and as you have never attended a game or experienced opposition fans, you have absolutely no reason to "hate" any other team, in Britain or anywhere else.

Unless you have a lithp and it cometh out as Leedth every time you try to thay it.

Back
Top Bottom