AVB - A reminder

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fact that this is a discussion is indicative of what football has become. There is no way, at all, that a manager should be judged or questioned after only three games, two of which took place prior to the transfer window closing.

To be able to implement new strategies, a different mind set and influence takes understanding, patience and above all else support. Villas-Boas might turn out to be a poor manager who lucked out in one incredible season with Porto. Then again, he could very well be a tactical mastermind and someone who is learning all the time. If a player was to be tarred as AVB has after such a short period of time I would find it incredible, that a manager, someone who has such a vast amount more responsibility could be reeks of childishness.

I don't think there are many who wouldn't have raised an eyebrow, certainly at the two home games (formations, players, substitutions) but as mentioned, we are only the first few tentative steps in what we all hope will be a hugely successful period of our Club.

Dannyboy said:
I don't think there are many who wouldn't have raised an eyebrow, certainly at the two home games (formations, players, substitutions)
We're in agreement, but this comment made me think:

Has AVB done anything in the first three games that strains credulity? That seems completely inexplicable? I think I've been able to rationalise every substitution, every formation, etc.

I think Reading will be the first match where I can actually say, "what on earth is AVB thinking?!?"

I was pretty surprised when I kept seeing Bale and Lennon swap positions. That is one thing I would tell them, in no uncertain terms, to stop doing.

But yes, nothing he has done so far has been dramatically awful - just eyebrow raising.....actually, tell a lie. I would have started Dembele from the off for the Norwich game. Anyone who thinks that he wouldn't have fitted in straight away is a little bit wrong. Livermore and Sandro for a home game against Norwich was too defensive. I was a a bit put out by that.

I think the Reading game might see AVB been caught between a rock and a hard place..

Keeper choice is going to be contentious..

Will he stick with Gallas? Will he continue with Livermore in midfield? Will Defoe be benched?

We need to win at Reading and then those questions will become more of an irrelevence.

Dannyboy said:
I was pretty surprised when I kept seeing Bale and Lennon swap positions.
But they were doing that all year last year (well, when both were fit).

And though Dembélé's not starting gave you pause, surely there could be logical reasons given: we don't know when he started training with the club, AVB maybe wanted to try out a different gameplan before bringing him on, etc.

It'd take something like Defoe starting the next three matches for me to start wondering if our boy wonder isn't wandering off.

Éperons said:
Dannyboy said:

And though Dembélé's not starting gave you pause, surely there could be logical reasons given: we don't know when he started training with the club, AVB maybe wanted to try out a different gameplan before bringing him on, etc.

It'd take something like Defoe starting the next three matches for me to start wondering if our boy wonder isn't wandering off.

They were doing it all last season with minimal effect, that is why I was surprised they hadn't been ordered to not do it this.

I suppose you are right but given Dembele played I think playing two defensive midfielders at home to anyone is a curious move but I should stress that it isn't a criticism.

Dannyboy said:
Éperons said:
Dannyboy said:

They were doing it all last season with minimal effect, that is why I was surprised they hadn't been ordered to not do it this.

I suppose you are right but given Dembele played I think playing two defensive midfielders at home to anyone is a curious move but I should stress that it isn't a criticism.

Livermore is not a defensive midfielder, he was the only available Modric stand-in... it's just he was a really poor one. That doesn't mean AVB can be accused of picking a negative line-up.

You don't think it was a midfield lacking creativity and guile? One that could see a pass or take players on through the middle?

Again, not criticising I just think there were better options than Livermore and Sandro.

Also, why is Livermore the only Modric replacement available? Dembele played a very good 45 minutes and could have played 90 it isn't as though he hasn't played since pre-season, and I again note, I don't buy this 'players need to train together before they play together', it's not entirely untrue but it is stretching it a bit. Sigurdsson could have been deployed in that role, too if we wanted to be more attacking.

Another weekend passed and notice that Spurs didn't win or even bother playing. Talk about a rift with the manager.

Got to the situation now the players just all piss off to foreign climates they hate the manager so much. Apparently the new training ground opens and more than half the first team don't show up for training. Can't see Levy standing for this much longer.

Even saw Bale playing football wearing red just to rub it in the fans faces.

Unbelievable. It's the beginning of the end isn't it.

The fact we've been sucked into talking negatively about AVB's first 3 games highlight two points:

1. Fans need to stop reading/ listening to tabloid journalists

2. We've been struggling for form since February so AVB hasn't inherited the magical team that is top 4 material. He has inherited a team that used to be top 4 but only made it into a Champions League place thanks to Chelsea being distracted by cup finals and a few teams at the end of last season giving up early.

He's got a squad that's barely won home or away in 6 months so let's not underestimate what is required to change that mentality let along restore the quality of football we've witnessed for 2 seasons out of the last 20..

Just read in 442 magazine that AVB has admitted to using Football Manager for research when he was scouting for Chelsea...he has my vote, although I'm slightly disappointed he didn't sign Tonton Zola Moukoko in the summer...

ArtyB said:
Just read in 442 magazine that AVB has admitted to using Football Manager for research when he was scouting for Chelsea...he has my vote, although I'm slightly disappointed he didn't sign Tonton Zola Moukoko in the summer...

Fuck he was a good player

Back
Top Bottom