Are we too soft?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking hell we lost a game of football and Woolwich were great today deal with it!!

Earlier this week everyone loving the report saying our squad worth more than Madrid and Barca, is it not now?

Are we bollocks soft. Anyone remember the battle of the bridge? Not so soft in that one... We just played Into their hands today. We should have sat back & countered the fuck out of them. As Kane was clearly not 100%, we should have put Son in the team to assist with pace. Let them have possession in areas where they could do little damage.
I’m still fuming at the performance today because it was not what we have grown used to seeing under Poch, but I don’t think it gives us the “soft” label.
Their first goal was a clusterfuck of refereeing stupidity & rocked us. Until then, they’d not had a shot on target. Then they score soon after with their second shot on target. That one looked marginal offside as well-although if it had been us scoring it, I would have been livid if offside had been given, so will give them that one, even though Lloris could perhaps have done a little more?

And they are still below us in the table. Fuck them.

Oh fuck off. Are we soft? Lose a difficult away game against our biggest rivals and suddenly we’re soft? Jesus Christ.

Oh, and Admin Admin can you limit the amount of threads one member can start? One a week should be sufficient, because this Aberdeen bloke is taking the piss.

Well are we? In the time pochettino has been in charge we've had deft through balls and slide passing(Eriksen) solid defending,a solid midfield and the majority of the time a free scoring forward line plus backup from our midfield in the scoring department! But as for having a bit of steel bit of grit in the middle of the park.......do we have it? Yes Wanyama stands up for himself but he's not been playing, sly kicks and petulance from Dele is no use! Son & Eriksen are far to lightweight they both pull out of 50/50s on a regular basis losing the ball and giving possession away,today we needed someone to win the ball put their foot through it and get stuck in! Not only today though in other matches as well if we're being outmuscled.....are we soft?
This is wrong on so many levels

Fucking hell we lost a game of football and Woolwich were great today deal with it!!

Earlier this week everyone loving the report saying our squad worth more than Madrid and Barca, is it not now?
Agree, for how hard it is to accept. They were faster today to every ball. All their players were up for it. The Officials also had a good game, for them.

Yes move on. It feels like someones died but we live to fight another day COYS.

Well are we? In the time pochettino has been in charge we've had deft through balls and slide passing(Eriksen) solid defending,a solid midfield and the majority of the time a free scoring forward line plus backup from our midfield in the scoring department! But as for having a bit of steel bit of grit in the middle of the park.......do we have it? Yes Wanyama stands up for himself but he's not been playing, sly kicks and petulance from Dele is no use! Son & Eriksen are far to lightweight they both pull out of 50/50s on a regular basis losing the ball and giving possession away,today we needed someone to win the ball put their foot through it and get stuck in! Not only today though in other matches as well if we're being outmuscled.....are we soft?

Fuck off, and please stop starting a new thread whenever a thought pops into your oversized head.

I'm sure we'd all have moved on when we've smashed West Brom next week and Woolwich are in a tussle for 6th place with Burnley.

The way I look at it it is also part mentally. We are a club suffering from growing pains since we honestly are ahead of schedule on the pitch compared to the plan. The plan was always to try and break into the top 2-3 once the new stadium was built. But here we are before the stadium is even opened through to the knock outs in the CL and with 2 straight top 3 placements. Things like that get in the head of the players, both in positive and negative ways.

These days we always step up against big teams on the European stage, but as a downside we tend to go into the games right after or right before unfocused, with the players focused on our European adventures. Which results in us stumbling in those games most often.

Same can be said in the league. We are now considered one of the big teams, no matter how the media paints it. And on our day we can beat the other big teams quite severely. But as a downside we tend to go into games against smaller teams cocky and then be caught by surprise when they bring the fight to us.

These are actually good problems to have in a way since they point out our growth as a club. But they are issues that need to be addressed by the boss. And they will be once our injuries start dying down. The worst thing to happen to a player often times is that they think that they are unremovable from their position in the starting 11. Competition is good as we can see in the rapid improvement of most of our wingbacks/fullbacks. They push each other and thus improve. Sissoko is stepping up to try and not fall behind in the pecking order in the CM spots too much now that Dembele is being slowly phased out and he is also showing signs of improvement as a result, as is Winks.

With injured players coming back we will be better off since we will have more players to chose from and we can play a motivated side for more fixtures since everyone will want to cement a spot in the 11.

TLDR: Our perceived softness is both a result of our injury problems and of our mental growing pains as a club.
I'm self quoting to clarify that I don't think we are soft. But any perceived softness is because of the factors I mentioned above IMO.

Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko, Aurier, Dele, Vertonghen.

We definitely aren’t ‘too soft’. We have a right royal bunch of cockney bastard barrell of monkey urchin psycho aggro mother pleasing low-lifes to keep up our end of the bargain.

Earlier this week we were above Chelsea, level with Utd and 4pts ahead of Woolwich and Liverpool. Oh and we wasn't 11pts off City.

The point is reasonable, even though I disagree with it mainly

Woolwich, Utd and West Ham we have shown a soft side in recent weeks.
Do you disagree with that?

It's all very well having the staff, but it fucks me off seeing Eriksen die for the Denmark cause and pussy out of Spurs 50-50s

Earlier this week we were above Chelsea, level with Utd and 4pts ahead of Woolwich and Liverpool. Oh and we wasn't 11pts off City.

The point is reasonable, even though I disagree with it mainly

Woolwich, Utd and West Ham we have shown a soft side in recent weeks.
Do you disagree with that?

It's all very well having the staff, but it fucks me off seeing Eriksen die for the Denmark cause and pussy out of Spurs 50-50s

We didn't bottle it. We were just off the pace. We didnt do much wrong. You could feel, what little energy we had get drained each time the ref made an incorrect call. If the ref stamped out from the start the fouls that was stoping us building momentum, it may have been differant. He took ages to show a yellow. Messed up on the gials. Yes you create your own luck but yesterday was just one of tham days. We can only come back stronger and be up for the fight. Yes

We didn't bottle it. We were just off the pace. We didnt do much wrong. You could feel, what little energy we had get drained each time the ref made an incorrect call. If the ref stamped out from the start the fouls that was stoping us building momentum, it may have been differant. He took ages to show a yellow. Messed up on the gials. Yes you create your own luck but yesterday was just one of tham days. We can only come back stronger and be up for the fight. Yes
I haven't said we bottled anything, I've said we shown a weak or soft mentality in those games.
I stand by my opening post, that we feel we can beat teams because of our reputation and they will allow us to play full whack in our own time.
It doesn't work like that, and instead of going up a gear when teams are in our face, the likes of Eriksen decide it's time to go into ankle/face preservation mode, Dele decides he wants to win free kicks instead of creating, Kane becomes a big cumbersome toad and that's basically our chances of winning the game well and truely fucked.

The application is missing in these games.
Not sure how anyone can say otherwise.....you might not call it soft, I don't care, call it what you want, just call it something. Happy clapping gets us nowhere and I hope Poch learns to get players to deal it sooner rather than later.

I haven't said we bottled anything, I've said we shown a weak or soft mentality in those games.
I stand by my opening post, that we feel we can beat teams because of our reputation and they will allow us to play full whack in our own time.
It doesn't work like that, and instead of going up a gear when teams are in our face, the likes of Eriksen decide it's time to go into ankle/face preservation mode, Dele decides he wants to win free kicks instead of creating, Kane becomes a big cumbersome toad and that's basically our chances of winning the game well and truely fucked.

The application is missing in these games.
Not sure how anyone can say otherwise.....you might not call it soft, I don't care, call it what you want, just call it something. Happy clapping gets us nowhere and I hope Poch learns to get players to deal it sooner rather than later.

"we shown a weak or soft mentality in those games". No we don't?

We wasn't on our game-end off . Collectively, every player was off line. Poch got it wrong. It was one of them days when it just doesn't happen. Well done to the scum for taking fall advantage of us being below par. We wasn't outplayed or showed signs of weakness. It happens, thats football.

"we shown a weak or soft mentality in those games". No we don't?

We wasn't on our game-end off . Collectively, every player was off line. Poch got it wrong. It was one of them days when it just doesn't happen. Well done to the scum for taking fall advantage of us being below par. We wasn't outplayed or showed signs of weakness. It happens, thats football.
So losing 3-2 to West Ham wasn't a weak mentality in the second half when we capitulated after they got one back?
Going to Old Trafford and making Smalling look like Maldini because we are too timid is not a weakness?

I suppose our top 6 away record has zero bearing on our weaknesses?

So losing 3-2 to West Ham wasn't a weak mentality in the second half when we capitulated after they got one back?
Going to Old Trafford and making Smalling look like Maldini because we are too timid is not a weakness?

I suppose our top 6 away record has zero bearing on our weaknesses?

In your element this week

The overreaction from both sides after yesterday is ridiculous. We're still above Woolwich, having played them United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Meanwhile our next 5 fixtures in the League are West Brom, Leicester, Watford, Stoke and Brighton. Followed by a tough fixture v. City, which is then followed by Burnley, Soton (twice), West Ham, Swansea and Everton.

A conservative estimate would say we take 28-30 of those 36 points with say a loss to City/1 other or a loss to City and a few unexpected draws as the Prem always throws up. Odds are, come our tough period where we play United, Liverpool and Woolwich consecutively, we'll be in the distance of both Liverpool and Woolwich.

With City having the title wrapped up already, consolidating top 4 is now our target with a deep run in the CL and F.A. Cup and our forthcoming fixtures are relatively forgiving.

They may have won the battle (for the first time in 4 years) but the war is still well and truly in our favour. The hysteria after yesterday is laughable.

EDIT - One other thing, Chelsea took 4 of a possible 15 points away to the top 6 and won the title last season. But, you know, narrative.

Back
Top Bottom