Are we too soft?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking hell we lost a game of football and Woolwich were great today deal with it!!

Earlier this week everyone loving the report saying our squad worth more than Madrid and Barca, is it not now?

Are we bollocks soft. Anyone remember the battle of the bridge? Not so soft in that one... We just played Into their hands today. We should have sat back & countered the fuck out of them. As Kane was clearly not 100%, we should have put Son in the team to assist with pace. Let them have possession in areas where they could do little damage.
I’m still fuming at the performance today because it was not what we have grown used to seeing under Poch, but I don’t think it gives us the “soft” label.
Their first goal was a clusterfuck of refereeing stupidity & rocked us. Until then, they’d not had a shot on target. Then they score soon after with their second shot on target. That one looked marginal offside as well-although if it had been us scoring it, I would have been livid if offside had been given, so will give them that one, even though Lloris could perhaps have done a little more?

And they are still below us in the table. Fuck them.

The overreaction from both sides after yesterday is ridiculous. We're still above Woolwich, having played them United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Meanwhile our next 5 fixtures in the League are West Brom, Leicester, Watford, Stoke and Brighton. Followed by a tough fixture v. City, which is then followed by Burnley, Soton (twice), West Ham, Swansea and Everton.

A conservative estimate would say we take 28-30 of those 36 points with say a loss to City/1 other or a loss to City and a few unexpected draws as the Prem always throws up. Odds are, come our tough period where we play United, Liverpool and Woolwich consecutively, we'll be in the distance of both Liverpool and Woolwich.

With City having the title wrapped up already, consolidating top 4 is now our target with a deep run in the CL and F.A. Cup and our forthcoming fixtures are relatively forgiving.

They may have won the battle (for the first time in 4 years) but the war is still well and truly in our favour. The hysteria after yesterday is laughable.

EDIT - One other thing, Chelsea took 4 of a possible 15 points away to the top 6 and won the title last season. But, you know, narrative.

oldest rule in football is that you have to win the battle before you can start playing football. Generally we compete but we were second to every ball today. They had desire we had none. They deserved the 3 points.

Define soft, because it means something different to everyone.

Do we allow bad teams to scrap results from us, generally, ala Liverpool? Recently, no.

Do we fold against big competition, regularly, home, away, League, Europe? Recently, no.

Do we let physical teams push us around? Subjective, but I would say recently, not often. We don’t have the most physical forward and attacking midfield outside of Kane, but who does? Our spine is strong when healthy.

I think we are reading a bit too much into one bad result away.

Mensa, you know what it’s like. A club is only as good as its fans.

Yeah sadly as the team gets better the fans get worse, I bet some city genuine fans enjoyed being in division 2 in 1999 on the way back up having a laugh together at maine road, now surrounded with plastics and tourists

Paxton 2004, losing to someone I cant remember who, I loved coming up with a pisstake Atouba song having a right giggle in the crowd with a load of other real fans, what you would give for that mentality to be back

Although Poch bought our club back for the fans, it has bought with it some massively inflated expectations

DO9SEQ-WsAAb7wg.jpg
Don't you come in here with that sensible shit.

Well are we? In the time pochettino has been in charge we've had deft through balls and slide passing(Eriksen) solid defending,a solid midfield and the majority of the time a free scoring forward line plus backup from our midfield in the scoring department! But as for having a bit of steel bit of grit in the middle of the park.......do we have it? Yes Wanyama stands up for himself but he's not been playing, sly kicks and petulance from Dele is no use! Son & Eriksen are far to lightweight they both pull out of 50/50s on a regular basis losing the ball and giving possession away,today we needed someone to win the ball put their foot through it and get stuck in! Not only today though in other matches as well if we're being outmuscled.....are we soft?
When Toby, Verts, Wanyama, Dembele and Sissoko are all fit at the same time, I would say no. I would agree that Eriksen, Dele and Son tend to avoid challenges but most of our players are ready to battle hard. Aside from those already mentioned, Dier, Rose, Lamela and Kane are all also regularly getting stuck in!

No injury problems plus more depth needed.

A fully fit team would compete with anyone in the league, City included but we don’t have the depth and we have had injuries and fitness issues with a lot of key players.

City have Mendy out pretty much all season, Kompany as always, Aguero has been injured, and probably more. Right now they've just got a better squad and they are playing braver football.
Yes, when I think of this City squad, the first thing I think of is “brave”.

I don’t think “look at all the talent they bought”, or their attacking options, or their depth, or a keeper that wasn’t just a homeless guy they threw a tacky shirt on.

Nope - brave.

:dembelewtf:

Last edited:
The overreaction from both sides after yesterday is ridiculous. We're still above Woolwich, having played them United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Meanwhile our next 5 fixtures in the League are West Brom, Leicester, Watford, Stoke and Brighton. Followed by a tough fixture v. City, which is then followed by Burnley, Soton (twice), West Ham, Swansea and Everton.

A conservative estimate would say we take 28-30 of those 36 points with say a loss to City/1 other or a loss to City and a few unexpected draws as the Prem always throws up. Odds are, come our tough period where we play United, Liverpool and Woolwich consecutively, we'll be in the distance of both Liverpool and Woolwich.

With City having the title wrapped up already, consolidating top 4 is now our target with a deep run in the CL and F.A. Cup and our forthcoming fixtures are relatively forgiving.

They may have won the battle (for the first time in 4 years) but the war is still well and truly in our favour. The hysteria after yesterday is laughable.

EDIT - One other thing, Chelsea took 4 of a possible 15 points away to the top 6 and won the title last season. But, you know, narrative.
DO9SEQ-WsAAb7wg.jpg

200.gif

Not sure which one would be best??????????????????????????

So you think capitulating a two goal lead isn't soft because we nearly broke Hazards legs?

Would the West Ham game the other week not have been soft if we did some reckless slide tackles while throwing the game away and kicked off at the end?

You got a different idea of soft to me. I couldn't care less how many knee high challenges we make in a game, if we don't have a winning mentality to back it up it means fuck all

You know what's worse than losing to Woolwich.....hipster Spurs fans being all zen about it

Makes me vomit. Go and enjoy your rainbows and unicorns mate while lapping up how well aaaaaarrd we are.

We are not soft and haven’t been since Poch got a grip

Having injuries, unfit players out there and an incompetent referee against a side playing out of their skins in their cup final isn’t being soft

We had chances to win it anyway, Son, Eriksen, Harry etc

It was a clusterfuck on the day and sadly they capitalised

That’s all

Back
Top Bottom