Are the next generation of fans getting excluded from matchday experiences?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My Dad used to take me and him to any game wanted as members - less than £20 for the both of us if I remember. My two kids now want to go but it’s a heck of a lot to fork out. A half decent ticket is £70-90 each then there’s the add ons of food, travel, programme etc. It makes a day at WHL comparable to taking them to Italy for a long weekend. Madness. It’s also making me more choosy as to what games I get to.
Blatant "I take my kids to Italy for long weekends" post. :maddisonhmm:

Levy couldn't care less about young fans or the local community attending games..a junior ticket is a missed opportunity for him.
From March 2018, and an absolute belter of an idea.

It would be lovely to have 5k allocated to all the local schools, they could workout a system of how to allocate them, maybe on rotation, so that over the cause of a season every single local kid has been to see a game, FREE. I would rather my overpriced ticket paid for this rather than wi-fi and stainless steel toilets.

People have been excluded for years but, fortunately, there are those of us who know how to engage with football without attending matches.

Between Sky, TNT, the BBC, Talksport and the WeAreTottenham watchalongs, I don't miss a single game and I don't have to go looking around for dodgy streams.

2023 is a great time to be an armchair fan. One thing I might do is go and see the U21s when they next play at Stevenage. The Lamex Stadium is very easy to get to from where I live.

Football hasn’t been a working class sport since the advent of the EPL.

Parents are supposed to subsidize their kids’ recreational activities. It’s part of the job description.

Many types of tickets don’t come with a child’s discount ( theater, airline etc).

Money has fucked football and taken it away from normal fans if like many you’ve done the tour, executive suites the wine racks and fine dining it’s a different world long gone are the days you rock up and get in to a football match then at half time line up at a corrugated tin hut and get a pie + bovril

When i was 9 years old used to go over the spurs with my brother he was 12 ,first away march at Leicester at 10 , we made loads of mates from all over the country, was such a laugh ....it's a shame that can't happen now .

I have no idea if it's been covered in the fan's representation meetings with the club but I am concerned that at some point Levy will go with the 'dynamic pricing' setup, which I think Boehly is trying to implement at Chav Bridge. Common place in the US, I believe.
To me, that says, "Levy's planning to double the price of a ticket."

5 or 6 games a season, 2 tickets per game, is just about affordable/justifiablefor me these days, but I can see a time coming, very soon, where it will be only one or two games per season. Sad times, but hey - it's a marketplace, isn't it? Levy has to grab as much cash as he can, because he's battling against oil money - and on top of that, he'll need a new boat and a new plane soon, won't he?

As for kids, I always buy my granddaughter a Spurs membership, partly in case she ever wants to go to a game, partly to brainwash her into being Spurs, but mainly so that her Gooner/Dipper Dad doesn't have the opportunity to poison her tiny, innocent little mind. That's my job and I'm good at it.

He meant the Kilburn Faith Community - a forerunner of the Salvation Army. Don't blame yourself - easy mistake to make, in this day & age.

He was one of their footsoldiers, trying to save people on the streets.

Unless they were Gooners.

To be honest I don't really know what the C stood for as Chickens hadn't actually evolved at that time.

People have been excluded for years but, fortunately, there are those of us who know how to engage with football without attending matches.

Between Sky, TNT, the BBC, Talksport and the WeAreTottenham watchalongs, I don't miss a single game and I don't have to go looking around for dodgy streams.

2023 is a great time to be an armchair fan. One thing I might do is go and see the U21s when they next play at Stevenage. The Lamex Stadium is very easy to get to from where I live.
Watching Games on TV is good but nothing can beat that moment when you walking up the steps to your seat and you see the green of the pitch for the first time! Its also going to the first game with your Old man or even Mum for the first time, I honestly dont think I would be so invested in this club if it wasnt for going to matches when I was a youngun!

To me, that says, "Levy's planning to double the price of a ticket."

5 or 6 games a season, 2 tickets per game, is just about affordable/justifiablefor me these days, but I can see a time coming, very soon, where it will be only one or two games per season. Sad times, but hey - it's a marketplace, isn't it? Levy has to grab as much cash as he can, because he's battling against oil money - and on top of that, he'll need a new boat and a new plane soon, won't he?

As for kids, I always buy my granddaughter a Spurs membership, partly in case she ever wants to go to a game, partly to brainwash her into being Spurs, but mainly so that her Gooner/Dipper Dad doesn't have the opportunity to poison her tiny, innocent little mind. That's my job and I'm good at it.
Re the dynamic pricing structure, I reckon if it were to happen (supposedly, according to a write-up in The Athletic, Boehly intends to announce the price hikes in spring), I would guess it would only affect the premium 200 and 300 blocks along the sidelines, and not the rest of the stadium. Levy will be watching with intent, I reckon.

I admire your subversive tactics in protecting your grand-daughter's future integrity.

Watching Games on TV is good but nothing can beat that moment when you walking up the steps to your seat and you see the green of the pitch for the first time! Its also going to the first game with your Old man or even Mum for the first time, I honestly dont think I would be so invested in this club if it wasnt for going to matches when I was a youngun!

First game I went to was vs Leeds at home in Nov 1993. Travelled for 6 bastard hours on a spurs supporters coach from Milford Haven. I remember they played 'single white female' on the tv in the coach which terrified me!

Game finished 1 all. Brian Deane scored and Anderton equalised. I think it was Gordon Durie's last performance for us.

Funnily enough, I was talking with my siblings about when we went to our first matches. There's no doubt that the match going experience back then and now are light years apart. It was just a case of turning up on the day and paying at the gate, with kids going through the "Boys" entrance and the parents picking up their child inside the stadium. (I have a confession to make - I managed to get away with that until I was 26, some advantages in being short!).
I appreciate that we have to maximise income, and I have no issue in utilising the stadium for concerts, rugby, etc. However, surely there has to be a better way than rinsing supporters.
I have the same issue with paying full price for my seat, as I qualify for the OAP rate. It's about time the ticketing policy was that the price should be applied to the person not the seat.

I didn't get to visit White Hart Lane until I was 26 and have only been 4 times. I didn't have parents who took me to matches, I had parents who didn't encourage football at all. Any time I tried to talk about it, I was told "What do you know about football!"

I persevered, though. I started off with the Panini sticker albums and learned about the different clubs and players that way. My first consciousness of Tottenham was from watching the 1991 FA Cup Final on TV and from then I knew Spurs was my team.

95/96 was my breakthrough season and by that I mean the point where I had learned how to follow football and my parents realised my obsession was there to stay. They subscribed to Sky Sports and I consider the Monday Night Football on 25th September 1995 against QPR at Loftus Road to be my first match. From there, things grew and grew and I consider myself to be as invested in the club as any season ticket holder.

From there, things grew and grew and I consider myself to be as invested in the club as any season ticket holder.

It’s nice you feel that way.

Personally if I’m not going to games I struggle to feel the same emotional attachment.

I don’t think you can compare the supporting experience of watching a game on the tv to going to a match. However hard sky etc try to create a buzz around it.

Getting ready, getting there, anticipation of kick off, the game, post match whatever and the long happy or unhappy journey home.
Can you really compare that to pressing a button on your tv remote control and sitting on a couch?

I just can’t.

But we’re all different. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Back
Top Bottom